Why become a member? ×

European touring etc..

Aidan63

A lot of you will know because you signed the e-petition on the Gov.uk website and have had the email today but for those who haven't the matter will be discussed shortly

On Monday 8 February the Petitions Committee will hold a virtual e-petition session to discuss arrangements for UK musicians in the EU.

So maybe time to get your views into your MP for presentation to the session.

It looks like the government will continue to blame the EU for the situation that has arisen as per the initial response to the e-petition, so I'm not expecting any great change but worth trying to raise the importance of the matter to your MP, there is clearly enough support amongst the population for a solution as the petition gained enough signatures to be debated very very quickly, most e-petitions get nowhere.

I was going to add this to the original thread but it has been locked.

• Like 4

(NOTE: Petitions are debated in the smaller Westminster Hall, not the main Chamber of the HOC. Usually very few attend, they just could not be A###d.  The Government usually gives a "Rubber Stamp" reply.This is a politically neutral statement! I'm sorry that's the way it is.)

But do contact your MP,  this is a serious loss to the economy and to the arts.

More details rom the email:

"On Monday 8 February the Petitions Committee will hold a virtual e-petition session to discuss arrangements for UK musicians in the EU.

MPs will discuss arrangements for UK musicians in the EU in light of the petition you have signed calling for a Europe-wide visa-free work permit for touring professionals and artists. Caroline Dinenage, Minister for Digital and Culture, will respond for the Government."

Watch live from 4.30pm on Monday 8 February:
https://youtu.be/VsaAKoULWNs

There’s a useful Facebook post here from Fish, ex-singer from Marillion. It’s rather long, but well worth taking the time to read. It lists the various ways the current situation will impact touring. Bear in mind the guy has years of experience in international touring, what he’s saying is based on his experience, not on what some guy told him down the pub.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157827728953587&id=54830663586

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ambient said:

There’s a useful Facebook post here from Fish, ex-singer from Marillion. It’s rather long, but well worth taking the time to read. It lists the various ways the current situation will impact touring. Bear in mind the guy has years of experience in international touring, what he’s saying is based on his experience, not on what some guy told him down the pub.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157827728953587&id=54830663586

Unrelated to the topic in hand, there was (and probably still is) an interesting blog post on Fish's website, maybe 10 years old, about the costs of touring (generally, not a Brexit related thing), costs, who takes what, ways he's found to keep it viable, and how many times he's had to remortgage his home to keep at it, etc. It was a really good read.

Related to the topic, my MP is the culture secretary, a typical party line yes man... I shall of course lean on him, but I know from previous dealings with him that I may as well try to nail water to the ceiling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's difficult to be optimistic - the pandemic seems to act as a smoke screen for Brexit and vice versa. I suspect that only when the dust settles on Covid19 and people start travelling & working in the EU will they start to understand the repercussions, and then there's gonna be a sh!tstorm. We should be marching and protesting right outside the House Of Commons.

So I think this will get sorted, but not for a while and not without a massive effort, maybe under a new government.

image.png.e940cbbb861764131dc9afeb0385ff4b.png

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, petebassist said:

It's difficult to be optimistic - the pandemic seems to act as a smoke screen for Brexit and vice versa. I suspect that only when the dust settles on Covid19 and people start travelling & working in the EU will they start to understand the repercussions, and then there's gonna be a sh!tstorm. We should be marching and protesting right outside the House Of Commons.

So I think this will get sorted, but not for a while and not without a massive effort, maybe under a new government.

I think that you are quite right there. 

Personally, I don't think that the current agreement is going to be at all viable for the UK going forward. It is one thing to appeal to certain sections of the electorate with a hardline stance at the moment, but that’s not going to win elections once the economy starts failing and people are losing jobs. Especially when there is no longer a pandemic to blame. 

• Like 1