Why become a member? ×

Big Ol' String Shootout. Comparison video.

CalDeep

Hey dudes. 

A couple weeks ago I was asking what people would like to see in a string comparison video. Well here it is! 
I've compared Stainless Steel to Nickel, Hex Core to Round core and Diamond to Platinum (Newtone only) 
I'd love to know what you think now it's all done. 

I'm pretty new to the youtube stuff so I'd love any feedback. I hope this is helpful for some people, and will save you buying a million sets of strings to help you find what you like. 

• Like 1

And there it happened very obviously : the sound is definitely in the fingers. The difference between the warmest and the brightest strings is so tiny that I don't think anybody will notice the slightly more opened top end and overall clarity of the brightest ones compared to the warmest ones.

Thanks for this, you have just prooven what I claim for decades. 😉

• Like 2

Honestly... I have to agree. I was commissioned to make it and I agree that the variation is slight for anyone not playing them, or hearing them in this critical way. The same definitely can't be said for the feel though in my opinion, worlds, apart in all tests. 

• Like 1

I was about to ask you what was the felt tension of the different strings, but you beat me on it.

That said, it is really helpful for someone with a well trained and still working ear. Again, I don't think many musicians test their ears each and every year. I must be an isolated case. 😉