Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror with clean switch

Paul C

Hi I'm thinking of buying a new head. It's  a toss up for me between the newer Orange Terror with the clean switch or the ABM 600 head. I'm sure both are fantastic.

I've seen folks talking on old threads here about the Orange Terror but that was the older model without the clean switch. A friend of mine let me borrow that same version recently and whilst it's a really cool amp,  it starts to go into overdrive, even with the gain down low, and it was just a bit too much for me and I couldn't get a nice clean sound. I tend to add FX to a clean ish tone.

I've had an ABM 500 in the past so know what to expect from an ashdown and only downside of the ABM is it's a bit heavier.... but nothing back breaking.

So, is anyone out there a user of the newer Terror Bass with the clean switch. Any feedback on it? One demo on YouTube shows it delivering some fantastic sounds both clean and overdriven and I really liked what I heard. Thanks in advance

Thanks Lozz. That's interesting. I do feel loyalty to Ashdown as I really like how they do stuff plus customer service as we know is top notch. Not that iv ever had one of their amps fail 🙂. Ideally I'd try in a shop but tricky to know when that mayb possible. Thx

49 minutes ago, Paul C said:

So, is anyone out there a user of the newer Terror Bass with the clean switch. Any feedback on it? One demo on YouTube shows it delivering some fantastic sounds both clean and overdriven and I really liked what I heard. Thanks in advance

I have one and like it - it's easy to carry around, which is an important consideration.
All I've used it for is relatively quite jazz jams with the clean switch on and volume and gain at around 1/3 so I have no idea how it will behave at high volume. It sounds fine with BG and EUB live and might even be tolerable with DB but I've had no chance to try it yet.
Possible drawbacks:
* At bedroom volumes there's noticeable fan noise once it warms up.
* Noisy effects loop: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/408341-effects-loop-noise/?tab=comments#comment-4031885
* The first one I had rattled a bit (see the cloth padding on the photo below) but PMT replaced it without any complaint and the replacement was fine.

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/10285-show-us-your-rig/page/149/?tab=comments#comment-4016716

I can only talk of the old model Terror. Yes it was very aggressive, very early but that was easily rectified by replacing the valves for something like a mullard, etc. Might be a cheaper option to pick up an older model. Very easy to swap the valves. 5-10 min job max