Why become a member? ×

Becos CompIQ Stella compressor: tape saturation control

mcnach

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

Fine!!! I'll buy one and find out then! 

:D

(I did, I really did... coming from the US because it's a mess for BecosFX to send anything to the UK.)

I looked into the Stella recently but, as you pointed out, Becos haven't got their heads around the Brexit related additional paperwork so aren't selling to us any more!  

So how exactly did you get one?

2 hours ago, BillyBass said:

I looked into the Stella recently but, as you pointed out, Becos haven't got their heads around the Brexit related additional paperwork so aren't selling to us any more!  

So how exactly did you get one?

As far as I understood it's not just Brexit, Brexit is an added problem with the UK, like the cherry on top. It seems they're working on a solution but at the moment it's not clear if it's two weeks or two months. They suggested buying from their partner in the US, Gear Hero, who will ship to the UK.

I was looking into buying one and getting it shipped to Poland, to my girlfriend's mum, and she'd pick it up next time she visits (as soon as we can fly again)... but in the end I just went with the US store. It'll cost more, tax etc, but hopefully it will not take too long to arrive.

Here's the link to the store with the page link for Becos:

https://gearhero.com/collections/exclusives

• Thanks 1

Tapesat is a Becos USP, in that I am unaware of any other compressor that quite does this.

It's a germanium based overdrive circuit, which is not unusual in and of itself, the unique part is that it is only applied to the not compressed part of the signal.

So you can do parallel compression with at least some of the Becos range, and the more complex units allow you to add saturation to the uncompressed part of the signal.

It can be very subtle or really not so much and the balancing act between wet/dry compression and saturation and saturation level and amount is endlessly tweakable.

There are a lot of different possibilities, and any clips I made would be further complicated by the fact that the Twain has two entirely separate circuits and the set up of those has a huge effect on the output. I'd be at it for weeks 😃.

I still owe everyone a comprehensive review of the Twain, but haven't got the time right now, work is at a very very full on stage in a project I am lead architect for, and it hasn't let up since I got the damn pedal, to such s degree that it isn't even on my board yet 😳

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1