Why become a member? ×

Basses For Home, Basses For Live

Frank Blank

I stopped taking my old Precisions out on the road a little while ago and. initially, used Fender Japan 70US models with Bass Doc tort scratchplates live. I swapped out the pickups for Kent Armstrong Vintage P's.

I was asked (by Simon at SVL) if he could build a bass for me and I ended up getting two. They are copies of my 66 Precision but in a finish based on the mocha/black combination of late 70's basses. If it weren't for Simon I would still be using the Japanese basses as they are extraordinarily good and consistent (never bought one having played it first and every one has been brilliant).

Here are the oldies and t he Japanese basses together - the other is a Classic 50s. The 66 is, as you might imagine, is in the middle of the front row.

image.png

• Like 3

On 29/01/2021 at 20:15, 4000 said:

Following a nerve-wracking experience trying to keep an eye on an extremely-expensive-to-replace bass in a packed London venue on a multi-band night, I did two things; made sure my basses are fully insured (easier now I’m down to three) and also had myself a far, far cheaper ‘replica’ (it doesn’t actually sound that much like, but that’s another story) of my favourite bass made for those few gigs where I really would sweat, e.g. festivals where we have to stay over (remember them?).

99% of the time I’m happy to use any of my basses live though; that’s what I bought them for, although I’ll admit my absolute favourite stays home a bit more than the others.

If I went to see your gig I would kinda think of the basses you’ve talked about and be hoping to see a Gus ... I doubt someone could make a replica of one of them though!

On 27/03/2021 at 06:23, mojobu said:

At home it is a Gibson LesPaul Doublecut , rootbeer , from 2006 . Thinned the neck to Geddy Lee specs . My at home 5 string is a Yamaha 435 . I would not use either in public because the Gibson is terrible standing and the Yamaha screams / cheap / . In public its a Pbass and MarcusMiller 5 , both much harder to play .

I wouldn’t ever look down on a Yamaha Bb - especially the more recent ones. IMO a Yamaha 434/5 is easily the equal of fenders costing many times more. Plus 90% of folk don’t care what the bass is and just think it’s a big guitar!

• Like 3

On 27/03/2021 at 06:23, mojobu said:

At home it is a Gibson LesPaul Doublecut , rootbeer , from 2006 . Thinned the neck to Geddy Lee specs . My at home 5 string is a Yamaha 435 . I would not use either in public because the Gibson is terrible standing and the Yamaha screams / cheap / . In public its a Pbass and MarcusMiller 5 , both much harder to play .

Ha ha. ‘Yamaha screams cheap’ made me laugh, especially when the alternative is a Gibson, which I can’t stand. Personal preference I know, but I haven’t played a duff Yamaha yet. Can’t say the same for Gibsons.

• Like 5

I have two favoured security methods when gigging if required; 

Keep bass in a case, out of sight, in the car.

A long cabled bike lock. Wrap around the case (through the handle so it can't be opened) and secure to something sturdy/ of structural significance. Not perfect, but prevents opportunistic theft if I'm not around. 

On 28/03/2021 at 14:23, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Ha ha. ‘Yamaha screams cheap’ made me laugh, especially when the alternative is a Gibson, which I can’t stand. Personal preference I know, but I haven’t played a duff Yamaha yet. Can’t say the same for Gibsons.

maybe a reread is in order . the mid priced Yamaha 435 , a 5 string , gets left behind and a Fender MIA Marcus Miller 5 string taken instead . the Les Paul Gibson is favored , in my music room , over a 1969 Fender Telecaster , 60\s Starfire , MIA Marcus Miller 4 string , MIJ Jazz and even a lowly Alembic . Only neophytes put down everything Gibson in a knee jerk reaction . 

1 hour ago, mojobu said:

maybe a reread is in order . the mid priced Yamaha 435 , a 5 string , gets left behind and a Fender MIA Marcus Miller 5 string taken instead . the Les Paul Gibson is favored , in my music room , over a 1969 Fender Telecaster , 60\s Starfire , MIA Marcus Miller 4 string , MIJ Jazz and even a lowly Alembic . Only neophytes put down everything Gibson in a knee jerk reaction . 

To be fair, your post was written so poorly, my interpretation is understandable 😂. I’ve played many Gibsons (basses) and haven’t enjoyed the experience once. I’ve also worked on a few. I think the EB3 was possibly the worst I’ve had in front of me. What is that bridge all about?

13 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

To be fair, your post was written so poorly, my interpretation is understandable 😂. I’ve played many Gibsons (basses) and haven’t enjoyed the experience once. I’ve also worked on a few. I think the EB3 was possibly the worst I’ve had in front of me. What is that bridge all about?

My LesPaul is compared to my $4500 SC Alembic on a weekly basis , the Gibson is preferred . I am not an EB/3 fan but my 1969 LesPaul Recorder bass has been much appreciated at Sound80 studio from time to time . But anyway , my last post to you . a waste of time

7 minutes ago, mojobu said:

My LesPaul is compared to my $4500 SC Alembic on a weekly basis , the Gibson is preferred . I am not an EB/3 fan but my 1969 LesPaul Recorder bass has been much appreciated at Sound80 studio from time to time . But anyway , my last post to you . a waste of time

Alembic SC’s are great basses, but I’ve yet to find one I enjoy playing in a standing position. As long as you enjoy your Gibson, that’s all that counts. I’ve read your first post again and I still don’t understand ‘Yamaha screams/cheap’, but I’m now beyond caring to be honest. 

• 2 years later...

Both of the basses that I currently use for gigs cost over £1k and both also have long wait times should I need to order a replacement. Think the last time I had a cheap easily replaced bass for gigs was back in the early 2000s when I had started dabbling with playing fretless. If I didn't use them at gigs there would IMO be absolutely no point in owning them. I just make sure that they are in their cases and somewhere reasonably secure when I'm not actually on-stage playing them.

TBH when I first started off gigging and was using a second hand Burns Sonic bass that had cost me £60, having that lost or damaged would have been far worse as in those days I rarely had enough spare cash to buy replacement strings, and the loss of my bass would have stopped me from playing completely. That pretty much puts the current situation into perspective.

I don't write music, nor am I a studio guy.  I just play in a covers band, and rehearse at home.  Consequently, I would gig all of the 10 basses I own.  In practice, when I gig, I tend to pick the bass I favour that week, with consideration to the clothes I would be wearing, so if it's a red shirt I won't play a red bass etc.

The only bass I've never taken out in a live context is my 5-string Lull.  It arrived while I was between bands and while I've rehearsed with it a few times, it's never seen a stage; it's also a bit heavy (oversized Thunderbird NR and quite a slab of mahogany).  The value of the thing doesn't really come into it, it's more about suitability of the projects I've worked on.

Apart from my fretless (talent shortfall 😆), I rotate all my others for gigs.

Regarding insurance, I’ve specified my Spector & Maruszczyk individually on my home contents policy due to their new replacement costs. 

I should probably think about doing the same with the Ibby’s because they’re not too much different now…. 🤔.

I like to use all my basses live - that’s what I bought them for. 

I am down to just 7 basses now, none of which were expensive.  I have gigged with all of them and will continue to do so - but will pick and choose.  The last time I played my bands regular venue some drunken tart refused to leave my spare bass alone 'playing along' while it was in the stand.  The way the room is configured I have to have my stand by the door.  After ignoring me telling her to leave it alone twice I stopped playing and shifted the stand in front of the drums.  Not ideal.  The doorman had a word with her slightly less drunk mates afterwards.  So, from now on, at that venue, I will take my least expensive bass as back up and play one of the cheaper ones.

If you have a bass you love, play it out on gigs! Otherwise what’s the point unless you are more of a collector? Get insurance if it is expensive. I also play upright, and in that world people routinely play £1k+ instruments on bar gigs. Instruments that are way more fragile and bulky than a Wal or something.

Interesting topic from another angle though… What do you guys look for from the bass itself at home/studio vs live? Personally I value things like reliability and sound that cuts while being easy to manage for front of house. This is probably why I gravitate towards passive P or Yamaha basses, especially live. 

Edited by Vanheusen77

9 minutes ago, Vanheusen77 said:

If you have a bass you love, play it out on gigs! Otherwise what’s the point unless you are more of a collector? Get insurance if it is expensive. I also play upright, and in that world people routinely play £1k+ instruments on bar gigs. Instruments that are way more fragile and bulky than a Wal or something.

Interesting topic from another angle though… What do you guys look for from the bass itself at home/studio vs live? Personally I value things like reliability and sound that cuts while being easy to manage for front of house. This is probably why I gravitate towards passive P or Yamaha basses, especially live. 

I make no distinction between home/live.  I want all my basses to be simple and reliable and easy to EQ.  To that end, I am all about passive these days - I found that I simply do not use the undoubted tonal flexibility that active EQ can offer so it was wasted on me.  As a consequence, no batteries mean one less thing to go wrong, but that wasn't the meme-y reason why I ditched the actives.

On 27/01/2021 at 10:58, Frank Blank said:

Morning. I’m just mulling over the thought that a lot of you have basses you play at home and other basses you use live, I hadn’t really thought about this until relatively recently. I have two Rob Allen basses, one was purchased during lockdown but the original one has been out to gig with me on many occasions. Both have been modified and I’m just thinking if someone sat on one or nicked it I’d be in schtook, to replace one (and modify it) would cost around £2300. So I’m thinking of getting a couple of cheap(er) basses to use live and keep the RA basses at home for writing/rehearsing, mind you it will be difficult to find anything similar, short scale, light, piezo. There’s a few full scale options but would rather short, anyone have any suggestions?

Evening Young Francis. I'm really on the beat here, answering your post almost three years late. Did you ever sort your dilemma out? If not, I can't recommend the Kala California basses enough: light, piezo and very short scale.

IMG_1759.jpeg

• Like 1

I have basses I gig and basses I don't gig. The ones I don't gig are the posher ones I bought as investments and plan to sell at a later date. Because of that I'd rather not dent them, or scratch them for no good reason.

My other basses are all players and have the odd dent and scratch already, so I'm not as precious with them. If a drunk got out of order, I'd have no problem whacking them in the gob with one, any extra dents they received would just add to the mojo :)

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

Evening Young Francis. I'm really on the beat here, answering your post almost three years late. Did you ever sort your dilemma out? If not, I can't recommend the Kala California basses enough: light, piezo and very short scale.

IMG_1759.jpeg

Forgot to add sound link.

30 minutes ago, gjones said:

I have basses I gig and basses I don't gig. The ones I don't gig are the posher ones I bought as investments and plan to sell at a later date. Because of that I'd rather not dent them, or scratch them for no good reason.

My other basses are all players and have the odd dent and scratch already, so I'm not as precious with them. If a drunk got out of order, I'd have no problem whacking them in the gob with one, any extra dents they received would just add to the mojo :)

Pretty much the same for me.