Why become a member? ×

Take Me Seriously ...

Happy Jack

3 hours ago, Jakester said:

At the risk of being "that guy", isn't the general tone that this thread is descending into a bit, well, misogynist? 

I've certainly seen similar threads closed on other forums (female cyclists, female athletes etc etc) for similar reasons. 

I'm sure as a community we'd want BC to be welcoming to everyone.

I should say I'm not looking to start a debate or criticise any other posters - obviously people's tastes are different, just thought I'd raise it.  

Females breasts are hoiked and on display. Males say those breast are hoiked and on display. Therefore those males hate women?

I can assure you that if someone posted a video of an all male band displaying their lunchboxes in tight cycling shorts, there would be comments, and most likely from the people who have commented on this thread.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Females breasts are hoiked and on display. Males say those breast are hoiked and on display. Therefore those males hate women?

I can assure you that if someone posted a video of an all male band displaying their lunchboxes in tight cycling shorts, there would be comments, and most likely from the people who have commented on this thread.

No, but the purpose of posting the video and some of the subsequent comments were, in my view, pretty objectifying. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jakester said:

No, but the purpose of posting the video and some of the subsequent comments were, in my view, pretty objectifying. 

22 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Given that the performers appear to be objectifying themselves, what's the problem?

As the OP, I feel I have to ask @Jakester if he understood the title & subtext of this thread. 

The band on display comprises three musicians and two pairs of boobs. The boobs can't sing worth a damn, but they have very clearly and obviously been presented in a particular way for a particular reason. I didn't do that, nobody here on Basschat did that, and I think we can all take a pretty good guess at who did that and why. If they don't want to be objectified, then why are they dressed like that?

If you're determined to be offended on behalf of the boobs, then the least you can do is to contact The Devil's Dumplings first, just to see if they're offended. While you're talking to them, do feel free to point out that their clothing was perhaps a tad revealing and that everybody would find it far easier to focus on what could be loosely described as their 'singing' if they were to wear baggy Arran sweaters under duffel coats.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

If you're determined to be offended on behalf of the boobs, then the least you can do is to contact The Devil's Dumplings first, just to see if they're offended. While you're talking to them, do feel free to point out that their clothing was perhaps a tad revealing and that everybody would find it far easier to focus on what could be loosely described as their 'singing' if they were to wear baggy Arran sweaters under duffel coats.

It's probably some letch going "trust me dahrlings, I'm gonna make you both big stars, just do exactly as I say..."

"Yeah, OK"

Its kinda how X Factor works. And why are the deluded ones so confident that they are good? Because they have been through a number of rounds being convinced they are good, ready for humiliation in front of the masses.

Maybe.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

If they don't want to be objectified, then why are they dressed like that?

Asking to be objectified, were they?

34 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

title & subtext of this thread

There was subtext? Seemed pretty clear to me - “hurr hurr, boobies. Look lads, boobies. Girls wiv boobies. Hurr hurr.”

I’m not trying to be professionally offended, but this is supposed to be an inclusive community and I can’t imagine lots of people going “hurr hurr, boobies” even with token attempts at critical commentary is of much appeal (or, indeed, merit) to anyone but a load of old blokes. 

I’ll leave it there - all I am suggesting is perhaps before posting some of the more reductive comments people consider there may be others who might not share their views on these things. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

The brunette is out of the light. Wonder what THAT is all about...

Bizarrely enough, I did wonder the same thing. Seriously.

My (limited) experience of playing in a band with two female vocalists is that, after an unfair division of the spotlight, there will have been a bust-up in the band room later. :thank_you:

• Haha 1

To look at the 'objectifying' point in a different way. Isn't it a little insulting to assume that both of these women are so dumb that they don't realise that wearing tight tops that are too small for their boobs to fit in is going to cause a reaction? I'd like to think that they're both intelligent enough to know exactly what they're doing, and confident enough not to need strangers defending them against the inevitable reaction. It isn't sexist, as@Silvia Bluejay has pointed out, men do exactly the same thing for exactly the same reaction. 

It's like someone tattooing their face, man or woman, remember it isn't a sex thing, and then complaining about not getting the job in customer facing. They tattooed their face to get a reaction, then got the reaction. 

We all do it to some degree don't we? Do none of choose our stage wear because of how it will make us look? In our Mod band we will often be suited, and it has to be the right style suit, not because they're comfy but because they put an image across. Does nobody wearing a t-shirt with a band logo on think that it portrays an image to the onlooker? We all make decisions partly based on looks and vanity, from clothing and hairstyles, to car choice and colour. How many home owners paint their house purely to protect the underlying building material? Or do they think when the house starts to look dirty with the  black and green algae that grows on it, or the red stains that leach out of some, I'd better get this painted, it's looking terrible, what will people think of me? 

We all know that the things we do affect how people see us and the women in the OP are no different. 

They dressed for a reaction, and got a reaction. 

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Bizarrely enough, I did wonder the same thing. Seriously.

My (limited) experience of playing in a band with two female vocalists is that, after an unfair division of the spotlight, there will have been a bust-up in the band room later. :thank_you:

Or the sacking of the lighting engineer or camera person? 9_9

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Jakester said:

I’ll leave it there - all I am suggesting is perhaps before posting some of the more reductive comments people consider there may be others who might not share their views on these things. 

You mean some people have a different opinion? Well, hell, we'd better not post anything just in case someone doesn't agree with us....

Yep, that'd help! ;)

• Like 3

Don't know what the fuss is about, I spotted the 'Happy' Jack Casady Bass on one of the clips, watched a further 10 seconds and moved on. If I want to see women singing Country or Americana I turn to Margot Price who's a lot more authentic IMHO. Here she is at Sun Studios a couple of years ago with a really good bassline too....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2