Why become a member? ×

Worth upgrading from an Ashdown ABM-600-EVO III to IV?

PeteJ

I recently purchased a 2nd hand Ashdown ABM-600-EVO III, even though I was hoping to get a IV. Would it be worth upgrading to a IV at some point? The only difference I can see are the two extra EQ sliders. Any further differences?

I'm happy with the III (well I will be once I take it apart and give the pots a clean - lots of crackling from the output pot at the moment).

Cheers

Pete

10 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

I recently purchased a 2nd hand Ashdown ABM-600-EVO III, even though I was hoping to get a IV. Would it be worth upgrading to a IV at some point? The only difference I can see are the two extra EQ sliders. Any further differences?

I'm happy with the III 

Yes, there are differences, but the golden rule of not spending your time chasing the next best thing, If you are happy with the III, stick with the III. Plenty of other stuff to worry about.

From a chaser of things!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, la bam said:

Yes. Different beasts imo.

The iv can do everything the iii can do, and a whole lot more. Its punchier, louder and much more versatile. It can fit nicely in any genre. The 9 band eq is very versatile.

Agree, having had both the iv has so much more about it in pretty much every aspect.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, PeteJ said:

I'm happy with the III (well I will be once I take it apart and give the pots a clean - lots of crackling from the output pot at the moment).

Sorted this today, a quick squirt of servisol contact cleaner did the trick!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 08/02/2021 at 05:03, Chrisan2 said:

Side bar question for ABM owners , when i try and play music from my iPhone by plugging into the line input jack on my ABM i get nothing. I thought thats  what it was for, thanks . 

There are a few subtle differences to the line in option for different ABM incarnations. From experience the line in on the ABM rear panel for old skool ABM, ABM EVO and EVO II amps is permanently live and sound will come out the speaker when you plug an input source into the line in. I spent days troubleshooting the line in option on an ABM EVO III amp backboard because no sound came out the speaker from my source only to find that it only became active when I had an instrument plugged into the front panel input jack. I thought the backboard was a dud but it was fine. Same issue with the send and return. The rear panel options basically only worked on the EVO III if the front panel input jack had something plugged in.  I suspect this is by design to keep noise levels down on the newer ABM designs. I'm sure Ashdown could clarify the correct operation if you drop them a message. I did try and check over a few ABM user guides but there wasn't anything specific to say you need something plugged into the front panel input to use the rear panel options on newer incarnations.