BadHands

Which "Famous" bass players offer 1-2-1 online lessons?

On 25/01/2021 at 10:40, ambient said:

Steve Lawson

I had a bass lesson from Steve.  At the time, I did not have the skill to understand what he could teach me, but it was great boost to me, on my bass journey.  

Like David Beckham visiting a local primary school, the kids won't learn much football - but it will leave a lasting impression!

I now have a less famous teacher - and now, I am better able to benefit from what is being shared!  

I believe Divinty Roxx does and I'm thinking about contacting Dillinger Escape Plan Liam Wilson for a couple of lessons later in the year.

The time-zone might need some negotiating, but worth a go I think

48 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

I had a bass lesson from Steve.  At the time, I did not have the skill to understand what he could teach me, but it was great boost to me, on my bass journey.  

Like David Beckham visiting a local primary school, the kids won't learn much football - but it will leave a lasting impression!

I now have a less famous teacher - and now, I am better able to benefit from what is being shared!  

Steve is a fabulous musician and a great teacher. I studied with him on and off for a couple of years. I know exactly what you mean.

7 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

Mark King does apparently but his teaching methods are a little too slap-dash for my liking......

I've heard his lessons are at a very high level 😂

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ricksterphil said:

I've heard his lessons are at a very high level

I believe he gives a discount for a block of 42 lessons😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

My problem with Steve Lawson is I never understand a thing he says, at least on video.  He talks in staccato machine gun bursts, very fast, and swallows/mumbles his words.  Don't get me wrong I'm a SL fanboy, I just only get one word in three. Maybe he's different 121.

26 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

My problem with Steve Lawson is I never understand a thing he says, at least on video.  He talks in staccato machine gun bursts, very fast, and swallows/mumbles his words.  Don't get me wrong I'm a SL fanboy, I just only get one word in three. Maybe he's different 121.

Sub-titles? 😃

16 hours ago, owen said:

I have stopped giving lessons I am afraid. 

Damn. And to say you are the only name I recognise out of this list of random people being dished out that I've never heard of.

2 hours ago, Bleat said:

Damn. And to say you are the only name I recognise out of this list of random people being dished out that I've never heard of.

I love you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Graham said:

I believe Divinty Roxx does and I'm thinking about contacting Dillinger Escape Plan Liam Wilson for a couple of lessons later in the year.

The time-zone might need some negotiating, but worth a go I think

Where do I sign up?

Special Event: Divinity Roxx w/guests 06/03/2017 Helena, Montana, Jesters  Bar - Music Event | HelenaEvents

• Like 1

On 26/01/2021 at 15:57, Crawford13 said:

An interesting side note here should be that just because some one is famous for being a great player, it doesn't mean they will be a great teacher. 

So true, many people confuse being a great bass player with being a great teacher. They are entirely separate skills. Always choose the one who is more skilled at teaching and that you have a rapport with.

1 hour ago, skidder652003 said:

Where do I sign up?

Special Event: Divinity Roxx w/guests 06/03/2017 Helena, Montana, Jesters  Bar - Music Event | HelenaEvents

Are you looking for a Photoshop course?

(No disrespect to DR, but that's had a bit done in post)

7 hours ago, naxos10 said:

I believe he gives a discount for a block of 42 lessons😁

He takes an oriental approach to teaching, I believe he calls it 'The Chinese Way'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was going to ask Jeff Beck for some lessons but I watched some videos and he is all fingers and thumbs.

I would like to thank the You Tube comments section for that joke.

On 26/01/2021 at 16:04, skidder652003 said:

Mark King does apparently but his teaching methods are a little too slap-dash for my liking......

... just don't ask for his lessons in love.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2021 at 16:04, skidder652003 said:

But he'll teach anyone..... he's not picky

• Haha 2

I believe Billy Sheehan (!!!) is giving 1-2-1 lessons at a music store in Nashville where he recently moved to. Hoping he will do some Skype lessons. Would be a fantastic experience for my big boy birthday this year. 

I've managed to get a reply from a couple of names suggested here, who unfortunately aren't doing lessons at the moment, but I'm debating having a lesson or two with Jeff Berlin!

If anyone's interested, I'll write up about the process and how I find it.

• Thanks 1

Define ‘famous’?!

But Felix Pastorius & Kevin Scott come to mind

Si

I've offered lessons to several famous bass players, but I was surprised by their lack of enthusiasm, to be honest.

9 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I've offered lessons to several famous bass players, but I was surprised by their lack of enthusiasm, to be honest.

I'm sure they'll come back to you now they have some time on their hands. 

• Like 1

On 28/01/2021 at 11:37, pbasspecial said:

I believe Billy Sheehan (!!!) is giving 1-2-1 lessons at a music store in Nashville where he recently moved to. Hoping he will do some Skype lessons. Would be a fantastic experience for my big boy birthday this year. 

Screenshot_20210130-163947_Twitter.jpg