Why become a member? ×

Which "Famous" bass players offer 1-2-1 online lessons?

BadHands

Hi everyone, 

I was reading somewhere that apparently Gary Willis offers/offered online lessons and was curious if people know of any other "Famous" (in the bass community) teachers? By that I mean those who supplement their main music career by teaching a handful of students. 

Also, yes - I understand that fame doesn't mean someone is a better or even good instructor - just curious :)

Add Victor Wooten, Michael League and Laurence Cottle to my list.

I’m pretty certain most top players do. A lot of them teach privately or at various institutions  anyway. If there’s someone you want to study with, just look them up on social media and contact them.

You'd be surprised how many 'name' players are willing to give occasional lessons usually, and with touring work gone there might be even more who will give online lessons.

I've asked a few guys in the past about lessons while they are on tour. Some happened and some didn't because of scheduling, but still lead to hanging out for a bit after a show. Only one person has ever given me an outright no (which was surprising based on his reputation).

You just have to ask. What's the worst that can happen?

Edited by Doddy
  • Like 1

An interesting side note here should be that just because some one is famous for being a great player, it doesn't mean they will be a great teacher. 

But I will give another recommendation for Phil Mann (With bass in mind) I have had a few lessons and he is top notch teacher and great guy, I can't recommend highly enough. 

• Like 2