Why become a member? ×

Gibson SG bass advice

tubbybloke68

Hi all ! 
I’ve delevoped an itch for one of these ,but have never tried one .My main concern however is can they do anything other than that boomy mushy neck pick up sound which they are mainly known for??pretty much always use the bridge pickup on all my basses as I prefer punchy fingerstyle type growl, not too harsh top end.whats the output like of the bridge pickup on these,as I’d be using it 95% of the time.Or,am I in fact just barking up the wrong tree? I’m definitely not a flat wound string player.All the vids I’ve watched seem to be doing the boomy type vibe? Also do they make a 34 scale.Im after advice on USA made models only please.

Thanks for your help/time in advance..cheers jeff 

On 24/01/2021 at 21:40, tubbybloke68 said:

Hi all ! 
I’ve delevoped an itch for one of these ,but have never tried one .My main concern however is can they do anything other than that boomy mushy neck pick up sound which they are mainly known for??pretty much always use the bridge pickup on all my basses as I prefer punchy fingerstyle type growl, not too harsh top end.whats the output like of the bridge pickup on these,as I’d be using it 95% of the time.Or,am I in fact just barking up the wrong tree? I’m definitely not a flat wound string player.All the vids I’ve watched seem to be doing the boomy type vibe? Also do they make a 34 scale.Im after advice on USA made models only please.

Thanks for your help/time in advance..cheers jeff 

I can't be much help on this other than to say that Jack Bruce and Andy Fraser pretty much used the bridge pickup on theirs exclusively so have a listen to Cream and Free and that will give you some idea of the bridge pickup tone, the neck pickup will be pretty much all boom all of the time unless you roll off some low end