Why become a member? ×

SOLD :) Epiphone Thunderbird
£275
Plymouth

Raslee

Price £240 not £275

Got this in a recent local trade and am in two minds if to keep it as there is a lot i like about it, hence the feeler - i believe it's a standard passive model and has a bolt on neck - sorry I'm not of fay with the differing models. I really like the looks of this bass and the sound is really surprisingly nice,  it's a lovely warmish tone with good definition, not mushy by any means. However, it is just not the most ergonomic of basses for a nearing 50's beer bellied hobbit type like me, and it doesn't sit right with the strap attaching to the neck plate - i know the strap pin can be moved and that's what I'm contemplating if i keep it, but i'm still not totally sure the Thunderbird will look quite right under my chin. Interestingly there isn't the notorious neck dive that i was expecting either.

It's funny after years of soul, funk and reggae I'm finding my inner rock and am also currently learning to play with a plectrum (bloody hard work after 25 yrs of fingers) to which this bass excels above the rest of my other more pricey entourage.

I'm mainly looking for potential trades - seeing if something else floats my boat, try me on anything - basses, cabs, amps - don't really do FX anymore and not into 6 string basses and don't need an acoustic. Can add £200 to trade up too. I'm pricing this bass and Epiphone fitted case at around £275  having done some research now i think i may have priced this a little high so £240 seems reasonable with the fitted case, which is lovely and fury...... maybe tempted on a sale too.

140933722_250727933083363_4572233308144319738_o.jpg.7b9e394f142f276b1cb12e56722ad2a0.jpg140275721_250727906416699_4550270356245321474_o.thumb.jpg.88b807146637b44d12ff8da0c7261c00.jpg140580279_250727893083367_6542784347425871585_o.thumb.jpg.ffe09eb574c763b72e10746aaebbddb2.jpg

Edited by Raslee
  • Like 1

Hey

I've wanted to learn bass as a first instrument for a while and while I'm stuck in at uni I thought it might be a good time to learn. I've seen a few thunderbirds around the £200-£300 mark which I'm happy to spend but was curious as to whether you would recommend this to a beginner, especially as I am on the shorter side and due to Covid, haven't been able to try out any guitars to see what works.  

On 28/01/2021 at 02:16, King Kunting said:

Hey

I've wanted to learn bass as a first instrument for a while and while I'm stuck in at uni I thought it might be a good time to learn. I've seen a few thunderbirds around the £200-£300 mark which I'm happy to spend but was curious as to whether you would recommend this to a beginner, especially as I am on the shorter side and due to Covid, haven't been able to try out any guitars to see what works.  

Can’t see why not. I’ve certainly played a lot worse basses that have cost a lot more. I’d say it’s a good bass from beginning to pro level easily. They look very cool too. 

2 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

Was the first decent bass I ever had I would recommend to a new learner 

Thanks for the advice:)  Because I don't currently have a way to try out any bass guitars I'm just browsing youtube for ones that have a nice tone, so the help is really appreciated. The two I've been looking at are this and the Gretsch G2220 so far, but I've seen some cheap squire bundle deals so I might look into them . 

An Epiphone thunderbird would be a fine choice as a first bass. Especially at a decent second hand price like this, as you can always move it on and not loose money if you don't end up sticking with it. 

If you plan to play seated, a more standard shape might be beneficial, but the thunderbird has a great tone and with a decent strap seated playing wouldn't be an issue. 

14 hours ago, binky_bass said:

An Epiphone thunderbird would be a fine choice as a first bass. Especially at a decent second hand price like this, as you can always move it on and not loose money if you don't end up sticking with it. 

If you plan to play seated, a more standard shape might be beneficial, but the thunderbird has a great tone and with a decent strap seated playing wouldn't be an issue. 

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for any going on sale in future:)

• MB1 locked this topic