Why become a member? ×

Multi FX Parallel Routing

jimmy23cricket

So, I’m after a bit of advice. I’m looking at upgrading to a Helix (or maybe the Boss unit) from my existing Zoom B3n.

Only reason I’m looking to do this is that as much as I love the Zoom, it’s quite limited when recording. Live, it’s just about perfect in terms of usability (and useable tones!)

I’m not looking at busting the bank, so realistically it’s looking like either a Stomp, Pod Go or the Boss 1000 Core.

I like the look of the Pod Go, as it seems like it has more practical usability as a live unit, but lacks the more sophisticated features of the other two.

After reading endless forum posts, it seems that parallel routing may be the deal killer for bass (which the Pod Go doesn’t offer)

Is the lack of this feature a deal breaker for bass? How important (in real punter terms) does this make? And how easy does anyone find the Stomp (or Boss) to use live?

Sorry if this has been covered...I have searched but have only found quite a generic overviews. 

Cheers!

It really depends on what tones you’re after. A lot of studio bass recordings have a clean/compressed low end mixed with the same channel routed through a guitar amp, and parallel chains let you achieve that in a live setup.

Im really digging my Tech21 YYZ and DP3X pedals and have found that I can get similar results from Helix Native so much so that I consider parallel routing an essential feature. But if you’re not into dirty/aggressive/growly bass tones, it won’t matter as much. E.g. I prefer a straight and simple single path when it comes to old school funk / blues / Motown etc.

BTW there is a Stomp XL coming out so I would wait for that to be released. Even if you’re happy with the original Stomp size, when that comes out you can bet there will be plenty of users rushing to upgrade and hence plenty of used ones popping up!

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Thanks 1

If you want parallel signal paths "on the cheap", then look at the Line6 POD HD500x. You can pick up a good one second hand for between £200-250, add about £20 for the HD Bass pack (or go the whole hog & get the HD Fully Loaded pack with loads of guitar amps/cabs).

Been using one for a good few years now, really happy with the sounds I get from it, the effects are great too, plug it in to your amp's Effects Return. Add in the all the connectivity you want for the studio (Pro or Home), as well as a sturdy package that is just as happy on a stage. Yes, it's "old tech", but it still works, it still sounds great, and it's still being made & sold by Line6.

Is parallel blending absolutely necessary for quality bass tones? Well, how many bass tones have you heard in your life where you know for a fact the sound was just the bass into an amp or into a mixing console? As was said before, it depends on what your end game is.  If you're happy with the sounds you're currently getting, then why fix something that ain't broke? 

The flip side is that parallel routing offers much flexibility that isn't available to you in simple, serial signal paths. (Me, personally?  I can be perfectly happy with a simple serial path, but have extensively used parallel routing for more demanding/complex needs. Again, it depends.)

Regarding phase issues with parallel path routing:  If you use an analog outboard parallel path mixer with a DIGITAL effect, then you're likely to have tone problems with SOME effects since all digital processing has inherent latency (generally around 2 milliseconds, but can be more). This is not really noticeable with time domain (delay/reverb) effects that are 100% wet, but can be very apparent when blending with effects with no time delay element and lots of dry signal retention (for example: a slightly driven dirt pedal that retains much of the original frequency content).

Digital devices that allow for parallel routing WITHIN THE UNIT will not suffer from wet vs. dry latency since the origination of any and all signal paths is the same signal (present at the unit's input).  So, proceed with caution when mixing analog with digital for parallel blending. (This is also a common problem at mixing desks when a DI bass feed is to be blended with a mic'd cabinet, due to the distance of the mic from the speaker driver. Same general idea but for different reasons.)

• Like 1

On 31/01/2021 at 14:45, Al Krow said:

Excellent post, thanks @jimfist 

Btw nice bass on your avatar! It seems to be a 4 string 24 fret twin humbucker with a spalted maple top and two band EQ? But as to make - I'm struggling!

I thought you knew that the bass is a Wal...it's a bird's-eye maple body. Once-in-a-lifetime purchase for me. It's the only bass I own that IMO sounds its best on its own, perhaps with a smidge of compression to tame my erratic playing. Wal does make beautiful instruments.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimfist said:

I thought you knew that the bass is a Wal...it's a bird's-eye maple body. Once-in-a-lifetime purchase for me. It's the only bass I own that IMO sounds its best on its own, perhaps with a smidge of compression to tame my erratic playing. Wal does make beautiful instruments.

Spalted and bird's-eye maple both really are gorgeous. Congrats on having such a fantastic bass!