Why become a member? ×

Ric 4003. Where to anchor your thumb?

jezzaboy

A mate is selling the above and has offered it to me for mates rate but I have never played one. I only play fingerstyle and looking online at pics I can`t see where I would anchor my thumb. Is there anywhere or is it a non starter?

Don`t tell me to use a pick as it isn`t going to happen, too many years with my thumb on a Fender pickup. Any advice appreciated.

Have a look at the various mod' bits, i.e. at https://retrovibe.co.uk/

I bought the flat treble pup surround, which allows me to play off the edge of the pup, like a Fender bass. 🙂

WP_20190619_18_52_18_Pro.thumb.jpg.3063bf9396e5c8031db782d594f7604e.jpg

Arguably it doesn't look as good as the Rickenbacker chromework, but it is completely reversible. 👍

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the suggestions. Having checked out some reviews on YT it seems that they are very much a marmite bass so I will have to have a think. It would mean moving some others out but I have too many anyway.

I would hate to take it off the guy and then have to sell it which isn`t so easy thanks to Mr Hall :D

1 hour ago, Bunion said:

The thumb goes on the pick guard playing on the E and the E string playing everything else. 
I had to retrain myself but damn what a difference to background sound... 

Even better, learn the floating thumb technique and master muting the E, A and D. Works on any bass. 

• Thanks 1

I have both a bezel and the zero mod thumbrest on mine. Ironically my band calls for mostly pick playing these days. 

I like playing a Rickenbacker bass with a plectrum, ideally with a clip on headstock tuner, so I can guarantee that at least 75% of players online will be irritated! 😀

IMG_6834.jpg.5494bd32d42f62b38642b81e69a7cbd6.jpg 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I have both a bezel and the zero mod thumbrest on mine. Ironically my band calls for mostly pick playing these days. 

I like playing a Rickenbacker bass with a plectrum, ideally with a clip on headstock tuner, so I can guarantee that at least 75% of players online will be irritated! 😀

IMG_6834.jpg.5494bd32d42f62b38642b81e69a7cbd6.jpg 

Music stand.  And a waistcoat.  I believe you do hats already.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Having had a good think about it, I`m not going to go ahead and buy it. Whilst it was available for a good price, I just have too many reservations about the bass.

So it will be off to Bassdirect soon for not such a good price lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions!