Why become a member? ×

Forgetting the set

Guest MoJo

11 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

Never mind set list, my band have just finished tracking our debut album, which has taken a year, and now I have to learn to play it as I have forgotten it all😂

I've recorded about 40 original songs in the last six months, have enjoyed the whole RFH process immensely (see the Lizard Sweets stuff in the Recording area); no band members gawking over you, time to get your best efforts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MoJo said:

How do you do that without problems with time lag?

By paying JamKazam $9.99 a month (£7.35 according to my credit card bill). The issues that were present last year when everyone was using it for free seem to have disappeared since the paid subscription came in on 1/1/21.

19 hours ago, MoJo said:

With this prolonged forced abstinence from live gigs or even rehearsals, is anyone else finding that their band’s set list and how to play it is fading from their memory?

Definitely in the case of one band, but then I never really learned it, played off chord sheets on my tablet. 

In the other definitely not. We've stayed in regular Zoom contact, discussed ideas for songs, recorded parts sent them back and forth, learned and recorded new songs. It's been good. 

10 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Definitely in the case of one band, but then I never really learned it, played off chord sheets on my tablet. 

In the other definitely not. We've stayed in regular Zoom contact, discussed ideas for songs, recorded parts sent them back and forth, learned and recorded new songs. It's been good. 

How I wish either one of my bands:

A. Cared enough to do this 

B. Had the time to do this 

C. Could just spend a few quid on a second hand USB mixer so "I don't have the kit, sorry" isn't an excuse any more. They've saved enough £9.50s a week from rehearsal to get even a rotten one off ebay, surely? 

D. All of the above

5 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Could just spend a few quid on a second hand USB mixer so "I don't have the kit, sorry

I am in another band, keys player's kit broke down at our last gig March 2020 and he has taken no part in remote recording, because he still hasn't replaced it! 

Imagine only having one bass! Imagine it not working and so just not playing for nearly 12 months 😳

Having moved 500 miles north just before Christmas, I’m no longer in any bands (I was in 2) so this isn’t a problem. However, it does mean that I’m not practising as much as I should in order to keep my chops up. I managed to motivate myself for an hour’s playing the other day and what did I play? Songs from my old band’s set list. Go figure.

6 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Having had this experience as a very young guitarist I can't recommend it

Ever been 'Party-Seven'd off?  I was in a support band at a rammed punk gig in a college when I was about 17, Party Seven can (partially containing 'liquids', likely p*ss knowing the guy who threw it), came up from the crowd, span past me and hit the drummer full in the chest.  He was on a riser.  Fell off the back.  Hilarity ensued.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I am in another band, keys player's kit broke down at our last gig March 2020 and he has taken no part in remote recording, because he still hasn't replaced it! 

Imagine only having one bass! Imagine it not working and so just not playing for nearly 12 months 😳

First thing I did in lockdown was buy a USB mixer so I could record. I have even offered to drop round either the mixer, an amp with USB recording out, or a zoom handheld recorder to one of the guitarists. The drummer has an electronic kit, but he also has some funny habits, like he will be really difficult about bookings unless it's for someone he knows, so any questions to him go unanswered. I'm going to learn to programme drums this week. 

I started playing along to two or three songs from our setlist most evenings but since the autumn I've lost my enthusiasm and haven't even picked up a bass for the last two months. Once there are some confirmed gigs in the diary I'll start going through the setlist again.

Definitely a few months back but in past few months i started running thru  our full set once a month or more if i'm up for it just to keep it fresh. I foolishly thought we might be gigging by now.

I do have all my hand written music for every song plus live recordings from our rehearsals that make it easier.

Dave