Why become a member? ×

Forgetting the set

Guest MoJo

With this prolonged forced abstinence from live gigs or even rehearsals, is anyone else finding that their band’s set list and how to play it is fading from their memory?

No. I have source tracks for every song I've played in a band for the last 20 years. I have them grouped together in sets and can run through the lot at home. It's much more interesting that playing scales and the technical stuff. Only one band leader has said he wants a rehearsal before we resume gigs, and that's for him not the rest of us.

I'll get the usual phone call from the others asking, "Can you do the gig", followed by, "See you there".

• Like 1

I’ve not played any of my old bands set since I left but I’m pretty sure I could get up on stage and play no problem. Backing vocals, well there’s something that I really would need to rehearse, not for the words but the pitching.

I will definitely need to have a good few run throughs of our complete sets before we confirm our first post Covid gig, whenever that may be.  Nearly a year now and it doesn't bode well for my memory. Especially backing vocals which are always the first to disappear from my brain. We've already discussed having a couple of days rehearsal to get things tight, and we may have a new band member to accommodate too so it will be time well spent. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, casapete said:

I will definitely need to have a good few run throughs of our complete sets before we confirm our first post Covid gig, whenever that may be.  Nearly a year now and it doesn't bode well for my memory. Especially backing vocals which are always the first to disappear from my brain. We've already discussed having a couple of days rehearsal to get things tight, and we may have a new band member to accommodate too so it will be time well spent. 

We've got a new drummer who joined just before lockdown so we'll need to get him up to speed, which will be perfect for getting the rest of back in shape. Hence why I haven't really bothered playing our set. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I had a bass lesson in December and could barely remember the names of most songs in our 60ish long set list. Last gig was 15th February 2020

I'm like that when we're gigging every week. Someone will ask, "What songs do you do?" 

Um, er, one of them goes do da do, duh duh duh, oh what's it called. Oh, OK, bye then. 😄

• Like 1

Our last gig was November 2019 and we were in the studio a few times early last year due to breaking in our new singer. 

We were in once last September between lock downs and the musical side of the band were bang on. But the singer needs some time to get on it again I reckon.

Edited by jezzaboy

I've got a bit lazy since our last gig in March last year. If I can find the inspiration I will practice on a Wednesday which was our band rehearsal night. Sometimes I've gone weeks between practices but most songs are ok. 

Judging from previous extended absence I would remember pretty much all of the notes to all of the sections of all the songs.  I would forget when the sections change and sometimes which sections went with any particular song.

• Like 1

Fading from memory? I used to struggle at times when I was doing band stuff full time.

When I was (a lot) younger, I'd have this recurrent dream; I'm now a multimillionaire musician, writer, composer, producer and I've somehow been collared by (showing my age here), Eamonn Andrews for This Is Your Life.  I've grimaced my way through the show and am now surrounded by brown-nosers, lackeys, second-cousins met at family picnics etc.  At the end of the show, Eamonn announces, 'And to close the show, we're going to take you back to where it all started...'

The curtain pulls back and I see four old guys I remember jamming with maybe 40 years previously.  I hear the intro to a song I vaguely remember and someone hands me a bass.  

This is when I wake up.  Screaming.  Well, maybe not.

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Had a four hour rehearsal yesterday afternoon and have been doing so every Sunday for quite a few months now.

If you had told me two years ago that I would be regularly rehearsing online from home, I would have laughed.

How times change eh.

How do you do that without problems with time lag?