Why become a member? ×

Vintage Trace Elliot Brochures

DiMarco

25 minutes ago, la bam said:

Just seen a trace pa up for sale.

X2 speakers with 4 speakers in each (I think x2 5" and x2 10"?), a sub, and the mixer.

Never seen one before, imagine they're quite rare now?

Didn't even think Trace did PA's...............

Ah brings back memories! @la bam you weren't too far wrong about two months wages, I spent 2 months working nights in a warehouse in '94 to save up for my trace combo. Sadly it never left my bedroom and I ended up selling it about 8 years ago to my mates dad for all of about £200. I reckon it was probably the most pristine example of its kind out there. Just as well, though, as this coincided with when I started gigging on a semi regular basis... I'd be in a wheelchair by now if I hadn't switched to a lightweigh genz benz rig! 

FB_IMG_1614637710348.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, mingsta said:

Ah brings back memories! @la bam you weren't too far wrong about two months wages, I spent 2 months working nights in a warehouse in '94 to save up for my trace combo. Sadly it never left my bedroom and I ended up selling it about 8 years ago to my mates dad for all of about £200. I reckon it was probably the most pristine example of its kind out there. Just as well, though, as this coincided with when I started gigging on a semi regular basis... I'd be in a wheelchair by now if I hadn't switched to a lightweigh genz benz rig! 

FB_IMG_1614637710348.jpg

Nice. Cracking looking bass too!

12 hours ago, mingsta said:

FB_IMG_1614637710348.jpg

I knew they were expensive in relation to a young aspiring bassists wages!

People forget, or have never known, how far out of reach good gear could be years ago.

I was thinking yesterday, I had a trace commando 12. Looking back, probably not good at all (and flippin heavy!), but it did the job. However, I cant for the life of me remember how I sold it to buy my ashdown mag rig??!!

It was only around 2003ish, but there was no real internet trading place, no ebay, and i didnt trade it in.......

On 02/03/2021 at 11:10, la bam said:

I knew they were expensive in relation to a young aspiring bassists wages!

People forget, or have never known, how far out of reach good gear could be years ago.

I was thinking yesterday, I had a trace commando 12. Looking back, probably not good at all (and flippin heavy!), but it did the job. However, I cant for the life of me remember how I sold it to buy my ashdown mag rig??!!

It was only around 2003ish, but there was no real internet trading place, no ebay, and i didnt trade it in.......

I grew up in South Africa and if you think they were expensive here, they were off the scale back there in the 90's! You could by a 2 bedroom flat for the price of them!  😂

But man, they were good to go look at (and wish for!)

Edited by jimmy23cricket
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

Amazing stuff, nice one. 

My back hurts just looking at it!

1008 Combo was 92kg, over 200lbs!!!

Nobody seemed to consider weight then; in fact the heavier the higher quality we assumed it was.

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/01/2021 at 13:06, obbm said:

Here's another one. From the 1990s

TE1-infrontcover.thumb.jpeg.1f5978cd72665553b022184c38834573.jpeg

Hi obbm,

Thank you for publishing this brochure. On the image of my "starting collection" of Trace Elliot, we can see the first GP11 (Mark 1).

I bought it on eBay from Germany, I knew it was older than my Mark 2 (combo on the left), but I couldn't date it with accuracy.

Thanks to you I now know it's from 1979. Yeeesss!

20220330_165859.jpg

Edited by Chris Huort
Oups ! Sorry for the forgotten picture...
  • Like 6

This has sent me on a deep Trace Elliot nostalgia wave... I used to have a 4x8 combo and the knowledge of what that could do makes me look at some of the stacks in the brochures with genuine awe and a touch of physical fear.

• 9 months later...

I sold all of my Trace Elliot cabs, combo and SMX amp a while ago just because of the unnecessary weight. I kept the V6 though because for a valve amp it is actually fairly lightweight compared to an SVT. 

Every couple of months though I find myself trawling through the brochures on this thread going 'mmm, fancy that, if it turns up on eBay or BC Market Place then I will get it...'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, thodrik said:

I kept the V6 though because for a valve amp it is actually fairly lightweight compared to an SVT. 

Agreed! 100% The V4 and V6 aren't a million miles away from each other weight-wise but that SVT is just insanity.. 😬