Why become a member? ×

How can two versions of the same bass be *that* different?

40hz

Been thinking the same thing for quite a while now. Bought a Fender Ultra Precision at the end of 2019. Best guitar I've ever owned despite not being a boutique instrument. Couldn't believe it. The thing is magical. Tried the same model later in another shop and was horrified. It just wasn't the same instrument; felt different, sounded different. Others I've tried since have been closer but never as good. Guess it's all about getting lucky finding the right instrument.

On 24/01/2021 at 13:23, mattbass6 said:

I had 2 Vigier Excess 5, and still have one, but though exactly the same spec, I just couldn’t bind with the later version. It went in the end as I couldn’t justify it just sat there. 

However, I love it! 😁

We’re all different and so are basses! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mattbass6 said:

So pleased, mate. It has gone to the right person, and home. Hope you are keeping safe ☺️

All good thanks Matt and I hope the same for you. 
 Bass now sports heavier stings, but has the same care lavished on her as you gave mate.

I cannot praise Vigier enough, stunning build quality. 🙏

Apologies - to add something to this thread about different basses.

I've had three Precisions, Japanese, American and Mex, I didn't get on with any of them really, maybe I just don't like Precisions! But add a J pickup and I get interested...

I had a US Jazz which was nice (but it had to go as the Wife hates 3 tone sunburst) and then I tried a Mex Jazz in a shop and loved that...

Ive had two Bongo's (still have one), they seemed consistent.

Ive had two MM US Sub's the second kicked the hell out of the first one, and ultimately I sold them both.

Upon reflection, I've come to the conclusion I am MAD!

LOL!

There may be several reasons for this but the main reasons are, IMHO  the density of wood is not consistant plus the wide tolerance of the electronic components.

1.  Body = Alder varies from 26 - 42 lb/ft3.  Or can be almost 63% heavier for the same volume.
  2.  Neck = Maple varies from 39 - 47 lb/ft3. Or can be almost 21% heavier for the same volume.
  3. Fingerboard = Rosewood varies from  50 -55* lb/ft3 Or 10% heavier for the same volume, depending on species.

Then it seems clear to me that an alder body with a density of 26 will sound much different to one with a density of 42. Althought the amount of change in Maple is much lower, more of the string length is above Maple and so it could have a similar, or bigger effect on the sound than the body wood.

Electronics. The pots and capacitors in a passive bass usually have a tolerance of =/- 20%. A typical P bass has two pots and one capacitor. These react with pickups that also have  a tolerance (usually undefined). A 500K pot could be 400K or 600K. The electronics as a whole, form a tuned circuit and changing anything affects the tuning, and in the end the sound.

Edited by Chienmortbb
Smelling Error
  • Like 5

All the variables that @Chienmortbb mentioned are very valid, especially for mass-produced instruments, but that's where QC comes in. Unfortunately,  most manufacturers only really QC the fit and finish of the completed product. Smaller production runs and luthier built-to-order using established designs have the benefit of being able to employ better timber selection processes, using better quality electronic components and better pickups, all of which ought to deliver at least more consistent instruments.

There's one catch,  though. 

They're inevitably more expensive. 

That said, there may be the occasional budget instrument made when the planets are favourably aligned, and those are the ones that seem to be greater than the sum of their parts. If you can find them...

3 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

I don't see where I've said that or even hinted at saying that.

You replied to my post with “I doubt it” and then proceeded to say it was likely down to the setup. Which it isn’t, as I addressed in my post. 

I've had two of the same bass in three occasions.

1) (Korean) Fernandes Gravity Deluxe Vs, early '2000s, production of each some 3 years apart according to serial #, totally consistent, virtually undistinguishable.

2) Ceramic era Stingray5s (1997 & 2003), real consistent despite one being full birdseye and swamp ash and the other being regular maple with rosewood board and regular ash. They used to play different as one of them needed a shim. Once that was done they're indistinguishable, even in tone if they're on the same strings. Still own these 2 guys, my kids will probably inherit them.

3) Yamaha BB-615 (both made around 2008-9 in Indonesia), indistinguishable too.

Guess some brands are better at consistency than others. That said, I own a Pro Series (Korean) Warwick Star Bass 5 and I can't really tell a difference between that and some more "modern" RockBass version specimens, they feel and sound the same. Not implying one of your Warwicks is a lemon (don't think those guys' QC  lets lemons out of their factory) but maybe it's on their weakest extreme as per wood and electronics quality, as some have already mention.

Edited by andruca

I don't want to come over all hippie, but I think there is a wholistic effect that is the sum of wood, finish, electronics, setup, playing etc. Obviously somethings are going to have more effect than others and somethings won't make a real difference until some fundamentals are sorted. Doesn't mean that they don't all pertain!