Why become a member? ×

6” driver recommendations/suggestions?

Bass Wielder

3 hours ago, Bass Wielder said:

See what I mean....here’s me breaking rules again by responding...🤷🏽‍♂️

Dan don’t say ‘we’ man. You didn’t try to help but tried to dissuade....then you attracted the negative EBS company against Hartke. Lol..

look above.... nicely put... simply stay away. Unless you’re bored man..don’t make me break my rules again 😤

"We" did try to help, man. It's just that you didn't like what we were saying. If a friend told me he/she was going to waste money and effort on something I knew would be fruitless, I'd attempt to dissuade them. Why would I do any differently on here?

In the sprit of this forum, we offered advice based on our own experience and knowledge. You can choose to ignore an ordinary player like me, but it's foolish to ignore people such as Bill, whose experience and knowledge is extensive, hard won and best of all, FREE.

This is not about seeking our advice any longer. We offered it and you rejected it. It's become about proving you're correct and we're wrong.

There is no "negativity against Hartke". Hartke is a respected company. It offers a wide range of equipment, ranging from full-on professional gear to little, low powered practice amps, that are aimed at youngsters or beginners. That's what you have. You simply cannot "bring it to the pro level".

There are good reasons amps like that are small, inexpensive and low powered. Parents can afford them, the kids can't blow the windows out with them and you don't need a fork-lift to move them around. Ask yourself why Victor Wooten, possibly the best known Hartke endorsee, doesn't gig with a B150. He could have any number of them for free, after all...

As I said, it's your money and it's a free (sort of, these days) country.

Edited by Dan Dare

3 hours ago, Bass Wielder said:

See what I mean....here’s me breaking rules again by responding...🤷🏽‍♂️

Dan don’t say ‘we’ man. You didn’t try to help but tried to dissuade....then you attracted the negative EBS company against Hartke. Lol..

look above.... nicely put... simply stay away. Unless you’re bored man..don’t make me break my rules again 😤

I swear man... ad hominem mudslinging all the time.

Lol.

missed my word play on EBS vs Hartke did ya?  

Dan chill out. No one ignored Bill or anyone. No need to stand up for him...Ya still missing the point...I’m laughing while writing this. If you like Bill, tell him. 😉 He seems cool. He had great info...willingly. 
Not forcibly. Thanks Bill👍🏽 
Anyhow....the combo is coming on well. A Fane driver would be added as well as an improved hi-frequency unit. Possible port adjustment and off to pro gigs hopefully without offending any Dans out there (😎). 
I will update here for anyone interested and again...no one gets hurt in the process. Except possibly Dan..lol 

ps: don’t tell Victor

On 25/01/2021 at 19:07, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

It's better, but the gains by switching to the Beyma would still be minor, as would be going to a 4 ohm driver. The limiting factor here remains the amp.

Agreed. The amp is indeed the limiting factor...by committing to keep the unit and working around that is not me being stubborn or naive. I do accept the limits numerically, but I trust my ears to guide me....as a musician does. Thanks for the honesty. I try to give the same.

Here’s a good read a friend sent me: 

https://www.whathifi.com/news/kefs-tiny-kc62-subwoofer-delivers-unprecedentedly-deep-bass-for-its-size

Hiya, well I'm having fun. Not least because your enthusiasm drove me to complete my own version of a baby combo. Fun playing it last night and I didn't wake the neighbours :)

Don't worry about the 4ohm thing, it will give you an extra db but that's about it. You'll get around 10W into 8 ohms and if your amp uses the same chip as mine it will give roughly the same power into either impedance as it is current limited into lower impedance speakers. In any case the speaker you swapped to is * ohms and you know how loud that is.

You lucked out with that port unless you did some calculations/mods as it is tuned almost exactly to the frequency I used in my modelling of your cab. If you swap to the Fane then a 4cm tube will lower the tuning of the cab to suit the new driver. I've assumed a port of 1.5mm wall thickness fitted inside the existing port with an internal diameter of 40mm.

Your maximum sound output is going to be around 105dB, 106 in the midrange and 104 in the bass.