Why become a member? ×

Speakon connectors

PeteJ

I'm probably about 25 years behind the times, but what's with the new speakon connectors on the back of some amps? I recently purchased a Laney Richter R500H and tried to plug an ordinary speaker cable into it and it was tight as f@@@ and didn't go all the way in; the end result - no sound came out the speaker cab! When I checked the manual, it says the amp has a speakon connector...

Pete

You can get combo jacks where the centre hole on the Speakon will accept a 1/4" jack, they are labelled as such on the front of the connector. As said above you can adaptexisting cables or buy adapters like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neutrik-NA4LJX-Speakon-to-1-4-Jack-Adaptor-4-Pole-Speakon-to-Jack-Socket-PRO/281995789398?hash=item41a8424456:g:jKEAAOSwM91acFSB

Speakons aren't new and are rightfully the standard on bass amps, they are much better although I do wish manufacturers would either all agree on this or just use the combo jacks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

The thing is, the Ashdown head I bought recently has the same type of socket, but a standard speaker connector fits in there OK. Maybe the Laney one just needs, erm, breaking in...

Not necessarily.  There are 2 types of Neutrik Speakon socket.  The combo type is a green colour and 2-pole only whereas the regular type is black or grey and can be 2-pole or 4-pole.  What colour is the Speakon on the Laney? 

You should also be aware that the plugs come in 2 types - 2-pole and 4-pole. 

The 2-pole plugs fit the 2-pole and 4-pole sockets. 

The 4-pole plugs only fit the 4-pole sockets

so if buying plugs be careful to get the correct type.

Edited by obbm
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1