Why become a member? ×

I hate voice notes...(feat Cuzzie)

AndyTravis

My wonderful wife has very few flaws.

but one thing I cannot accept is the relentless use of voice notes instead of text messages by her and her mates, and colleagues.

On WhatsApp they press and hold the mic icon and witter on about whatever, so an inordinate amount of my life is spent listening to...

”well, she came round and I was like - what you doing here at this time, and I was like...”

and

are we doing week 3 of Macbeth with year eleven from Tuesday or Wednesday because I’ve not got the PowerPoint ready yet”

It does my head in.

So on another thread I posted some music.

I’d already sent it to a select few - now @Cuzzie is someone who I respect massively and I really appreciate his enthusiasm and healthy constructive criticism...

Today was different, he replied with...A VOICE NOTE.

Not one for swearing or violence... here’s how I replied 

• Haha 8

I didn’t know ‘voice notes’ were a thing. I have my phone permanently set to ‘do not disturb’. If someone phones I get a little message on my screen, if I want to speak to them then I’ll phone them. It doesn’t give the called the option of voice mail. I don’t use WhatsApp either. It’s text, email or iMessage me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

I never even new 'voice notes' was a thing..

Anyway I'm digging this collaboration - I'd buy (well stream) an album.. 

Haha. They’re a thing mate...just find it so odd. Like dictaphone notes to a secretary.

”I don’t want a conversation and I can’t be bothered to text you...I want to talk at you...”

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

but one thing I cannot accept is the relentless use of voice notes instead of text messages by her and her mates, and colleagues.

On WhatsApp they press and hold the mic icon and witter on about whatever, so an inordinate amount of my life is spent listening to...

”well, she came round and I was like - what you doing here at this time, and I was like...”

and

are we doing week 3 of Macbeth with year eleven from Tuesday or Wednesday because I’ve not got the PowerPoint ready yet”

It does my head in.

I’d already sent it to a select few - now @Cuzzie is someone who I respect massively and I really appreciate his enthusiasm and healthy constructive criticism...

That’s amazing - I have literally transformed your window cleaner diaries composition into a complete work of art with your editing skills - Bravo us both!!

I have to say, it wouldn’t have the same impact if I sent that message written down scripted - with things like exit stage left!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

That’s amazing - I have literally transformed your window cleaner diaries composition into a complete work of art with your editing skills - Bravo us both!!

I have to say, it wouldn’t have the same impact if I sent that message written down scripted - with things like exit stage left!

It’s a totally new composition just for you

20 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Haha. They’re a thing mate...just find it so odd. Like dictaphone notes to a secretary.

”I don’t want a conversation and I can’t be bothered to text you...I want to talk at you...”

Doesn't sound like the sort of thing any self respecting chap would get involved in, oh wait, @Cuzzie

56 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

and

It does my head in.

Well, that ages me. I had no idea what a voice note was. I only started texting in earnest about 3 years ago, and I don’t even use my smart phone as a smart phone. I phone on it, I text on it, I occasionally put notes or record snippets of song ideas, and that’s it. I’m not on Facebook, Instagram or anything other than Twitter, which I only went on for a specific reason (which I now forget). I don’t really know what TikTok (?) is. Given the choice, I’d still be living in the 1970s. 😂

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

One day they'll invent this thing called a telephone...

• Haha 1

I've used them if I want to share an interesting auditory experience and writing it down wouldn't cut it. 

You know, like I'm texting "you should hear this pillock at work, in fact you can!" then I secretly record my boss telling me something or other. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I've used them if I want to share an interesting auditory experience and writing it down wouldn't cut it. 

You know, like I'm texting "you should hear this pillock at work, in fact you can!" then I secretly record my boss telling me something or other. 

... and then send it, accidently, to the 'pillock' in question..! :facepalm:

I made the mistake of registering my phone, landline, and email with floodline.

Every time there's an alert (which doesn't take a lot here as it comes if the local agricultural land gets flooded) I get a text, two phone calls = usually two voicemails an email and another 'new call' message on the landline handset, plus a text to tell me I have a voicemail on my mobile.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

and

It does my head in.

I'm getting flashbacks to the chill out room in Oz nightclub in Plymouth circa 1995.

• Haha 1

Luckily I don't receive any voice texts.... but they would probably annoy me if I did.

I don't like (or listen to) voicemails on my phone... the type you get if you don't answer a call. Instead of listening  to them I call the person back - as others have said here. However the "call back instead of listening" approach is heavily criticised by David Mitchell in this clip. I normally like him too 😐.

• Like 1