Why become a member? ×

Squier Affinity Bronco Bass Made Fretless

Guest WilliamV

Guest WilliamV

Here is the latest "creation" that I have thrown together. I don't do build progress photos, so here it is at about 99% finished.
The neck is from a "Sumbro" Fender Jazz Bass copy. I removed the frets and inlays in an attempt to make it a fretless, but I coudn't get the result that I wanted. So I removed the fretboard completely and made my own. It is from a piece of reclaimed Mahogany/Sapele. I am not sure which. I used a piece of what I think is Maple veneer, 2.5mm thick, that was also from a reclaimed source and overlaid it on the Mahogany board. The fretboard is a bit thicker than normal or most would be, but it feels okay. I also reshaped the headstock for the tuning pegs to be three over one in a MusicMan style like a previous post where i was querying it. I also cut a piece of the Maple veneer to cover it so it would match the fretboard. The original nut was broken so I crafted a new one out of an old ivory/beige coloured plastic walking stick handle.
The body is allegedly a Squier Affinity Bronco Bass. It was white painted over black when I got it. I removed the white, prepped and primered it, then painted it Ford Sierra Beige. Don't ask. 😎 I just had an inclination toward a beige bass. Plus it matches well with the natural wood. It needed two extra holes drilled for mounting the Sumbro neck which was originally a six screw. The pickguard was also made out of a piece of the veneer and 'Warm Maple' stained.
Single Jazz Bass pickup and Ernie Ball Super Slinky Round Wounds.

Not a perfect build and has its' minor flaws, but it plays well.

That's about it....

20210123_144057.jpg

20210123_144140.jpg

Edited by WilliamV

Guest WilliamV
13 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I like the minimalist look...cream knobs and pick up covers please...

Thanks. I made do with what I had lying around. I like the idea of that about cream/beige knobs and pickup cover and may just do it. I'll see what I can find. 😉 

Guest WilliamV
7 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I like that a lot :)

Thanks. Didn't actually have any direction or plan that I was going with. I just did what came to mind as it progressed.

Guest WilliamV
5 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Roughly what scale did this end up and did you add side dots?  Looks nice. 

It is 21 fret, short scale; 34" and yes there are side dots. I used the original fretboard that was removed as a guide. Marked and drilled 2.5mm holes into the replacement board. I used pieces of toothpick cut to size and sanded smooth. Good contrast between the Mahogany board and Pine dots.

4 hours ago, WilliamV said:

It is 21 fret, short scale; 34" and yes there are side dots. I used the original fretboard that was removed as a guide. Marked and drilled 2.5mm holes into the replacement board. I used pieces of toothpick cut to size and sanded smooth. Good contrast between the Mahogany board and Pine dots.

My understanding was that short scale is usually 32" or less.  Can you clarify please?

Guest WilliamV
2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

My understanding was that short scale is usually 32" or less.  Can you clarify please?

Don't know what it really matters but you are correct. Since it is 34" or just under, from nut to saddles, I guess it is actually a standard/long scale. I have one bass that is 36" from nut to saddles and it is a four string. Generally it's five or six string basses that are this length/scale. So, would you call or class it as an extra long scale?

This one:

20201009_101712.jpg

Edited by WilliamV

15 minutes ago, WilliamV said:

Don't know what it really matters but you are correct. Since it is 34" or just under, from nut to saddles, I guess it is actually a standard/long scale.

You are right - there are no hard and fast rules, but when you are buying strings (and here there are still a decent number of exceptions) then the 'convention' drifts towards 30" being short scale; 32" being medium; 34" being long scale (and as you say, some would say is standard scale).  Above 34" is usually classed as Extra Long if you are buying strings.

But not always ;)

Guest WilliamV
On 23/01/2021 at 16:15, TheGreek said:

cream knobs and pick up covers please...

The cream knobs I can find and have ordered two of the Gibson speed knob type.

The cream/ivory/beige pickup cover... Not so easy to find. As a matter of fact I can't find them anywhere.

Cream Speed Knobs-0.jpg

Guest WilliamV
On 23/01/2021 at 16:15, TheGreek said:

I like the minimalist look...cream knobs and pick up covers please...

How does it look now? Added a different string retainer too. Home made from a piece of aluminium plate.

20210205_085057.jpg

String Retainer-0.jpg

Edited by WilliamV