Why become a member? ×

Neck Dings

Quilly

I had a similar dent in the neck of an old Squier. A luthier I often went to suggested to fill it with clear lacquer. One drop at a time, then let it cure, add another drop, let it cure, and so on. So I left it with him, but when I still hadn't heard back from him after a full month it turned out he had refinished the entire back of the neck :facepalm: (he did a cracking job though, and the dent is still very much visible through the clear lacquer but can't be felt!) 

Even though he didn't do what we agreed upon, I think his suggestion was probably a good and effective one. 

I watched a couple of videos and superglue seems to be the answer. I might use this ding to get the neck refinished altogether. It originally had a satin finish but from years of playing it now feels like lacquer. I’d like to get that finish back .

If you did get it re-finished would this be a case where the application of some steam to the affected area might re-inflate the fibres and remove the dent? After it had been sanded and before refin of course. I've not tried it but seen that suggested in other situations.

I’ve used the damp tea towel and iron trick with great results on oiled neck dings, but this looks like a lacquered neck to me, which rules out that option unless you rub it down first and oil it after. 🤔

Edited by Deedee