Why become a member? ×

Modern Vintage Jazz bass

leroydiamond

Same distributor as Elrick, Bass Direct sell Elrick so they can probably get these, and may do, but competes with Xotic and few other brands at that price point which they already sell, but how many Jazz-a-likes or Precision-a-likes can you sell

22 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

Same distributor as Elrick, Bass Direct sell Elrick so they can probably get these, and may do, but competes with Xotic and few other brands at that price point which they already sell, but how many Jazz-a-likes or Precision-a-likes can you sell

I remember being at a 2 day open air festival some years ago and it struck me that 90% or more of the bass players, were using J or P type basses. Guess for so long as their is demand there will always be supply 

Worst brand name ever!  People like Ed Friedland are compensated to review instruments by the manufacturer (financially or otherwise) so I always take these videos with a pinch of salt.  Without even watching this video, they generally follow this exact template no matter who the reviewer or instrument:

Any J Bass - lovely traditional Jazz Bass sound with both pickups on full, great for slap bass, the neck pickup soloed is nice and warm and close to P vibes, the bridge pickup gets you that Jaco or funk sound

Any P Bass - with the tone up full you get a nice modern tone across the fingerboard which slots into any mix, back off the tone control for that Motown/Jamerson vibe

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, acidbass said:

Worst brand name ever!  People like Ed Friedland are compensated to review instruments by the manufacturer (financially or otherwise) so I always take these videos with a pinch of salt.  Without even watching this video, they generally follow this exact template no matter who the reviewer or instrument:

Any J Bass - lovely traditional Jazz Bass sound with both pickups on full, great for slap bass, the neck pickup soloed is nice and warm and close to P vibes, the bridge pickup gets you that Jaco or funk sound

Any P Bass - with the tone up full you get a nice modern tone across the fingerboard which slots into any mix, back off the tone control for that Motown/Jamerson vibe

Totally get the reservations that are required when watching reviews, yet reviews are often the first port of call that musicians visit, when they start their journey for a new instrument. I found it interesting that Friedland highlighted the tone of the bass acoustically, though this could be viewed as a gimmick to help in boosting sales. 

• 4 months later...

I saw these are available at Bass Direct now and were designed by Rob Elrick. The branding, website and general info on their channels is t great, but the spec looks seriously good. 

It is hard to create a traditional looking headstock but I quite like this one, I have seen a few shockers over the years but this is pretty good.

I think these are very tasty instruments indeed but the prices are off putting for me. 

Well over a grand for a far east assembled P/J bass copy? Sorry, they look lovely but at that price are just not worth it. 

• Like 1