Why become a member? ×

You know you're getting old when ...

tegs07

17 hours ago, TJ1 said:

Going by the photo only, without having any background knowledge of the model/brand I think a lot of people might think it is worth £900.

To be fair, it played and sounded great, I think it was definitely one of the better Les Paul copies around at the time, but £899? I don't think so! 🤔

I've found an old photo taken in the late 70's of the guitar, and no, I wasn't in a Bay City Roller tribute band, I was dressed up like this for a fancy dress party. 😏

4.jpg

• Like 1

On 22/01/2021 at 12:06, Shaggy said:

When I started playing in the late ‘70’s I remember the local secondhand music shop usually had a few 1960’s Fenders in, sub £200.   Needless to say, I only wanted an Ibanez the same as Sting’s.    If only....

Same here - I'm sure we all have the 'if only' stories.  As you say, local music shops used to have lots of 60s Fenders and Gibsons for around £200 or so. 

The thing I kick myself for almost weekely is that in the 70s I was playing in a band with an older (late 20s ha ha) guy who had plenty of money for gear.  I was playing lead in that band, and me been a teen with not much money, he used to lend me on a long-term basis, his '66ish red Strat - it was lovely.  He offered to sell it to me for £200, but I thought I might as well buy a new one for around that much ..... aaarghhhh!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Doctor J said:

The pic and hair made me think the doubleneck may have been inspired by these guys. Never mind 🙂

43149963-EC70-4F59-9584-69F7B286250A.jpeg

Ha Ha Ha got it now but afraid not. It was actually inspired by this gentleman. Was a huge fan of them. Was also a huge fan of Rush since 76 2112 release.

See the source image

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

It’s this one Dave, it’s pretty battered but it still actually works 😁, although the jack is really crackly, I might change it in the summer for a bit of fun 

5B329089-701F-4009-BD50-FA056B471994.jpeg

Cant say i've seen one before. Every day a school day on BC. 😀

Dave

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

Cant say i've seen one before. Every day a school day on BC. 😀

Dave

They were everywhere in the early / mid 70's Dave, you must be too young.....😄

Most common finish was sunburst I think, and it was either that or cream/white IIRC. They did a matching guitar too.

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, casapete said:

They were everywhere in the early / mid 70's Dave, you must be too young.....😄

Most common finish was sunburst I think, and it was either that or cream/white IIRC. They did a matching guitar too.

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

Why thank you @casapete. I'll take anything i can as a compliment but no i don't recall seeing them. I didn't start bass until 76 i think it was and even the it was via mail order catalogue my mother had where i got the Columbas. I honestly can't remember if it was any good or not. Being my first bass i had nothing to compare against at the time. I did have it a few years tho so it must have been ok.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

Why thank you @casapete. I'll take anything i can as a compliment but no i don't recall seeing them. I didn't start bass until 76 i think it was and even the it was via mail order catalogue my mother had where i got the Columbas. I honestly can't remember if it was any good or not. Being my first bass i had nothing to compare against at the time. I did have it a few years tho so it must have been ok.

Believe me Dave, your Columbus was in a completely different league to the Jedsons, and a more than suitable bass for a beginner in the mid 70's. Probably better than some Fenders from that era too....😅

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, casapete said:

Believe me Dave, your Columbus was in a completely different league to the Jedsons, and a more than suitable bass for a beginner in the mid 70's. Probably better than some Fenders from that era too....😅

Steady on, that was a class instrument back in the day 😂😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

It’s this one Dave, it’s pretty battered but it still actually works 😁, although the jack is really crackly, I might change it in the summer for a bit of fun 

5B329089-701F-4009-BD50-FA056B471994.jpeg

I really like the look of that, but then I'm a sucker for anything vaguely tele shaped.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2021 at 11:08, Happy Jack said:

Mind you, in 2007-09 I was also routinely swapping vintage Wal basses with @Clarky and, whilst prices varied of course, we were typically looking at £1800 - £2000. Seriously. Look at them now.

You should've been doing it in 1986. I paid £300 for my Pro 2E. :)

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...