Why become a member? ×

Best courier?

Bass Culture

Dear hive mind, I thought we had a sticky along these lines but I can't find it through the search function.  Can anyone remember if we've reached a consensus as to who the 'best' courier is in previous similar threads?  I seem to recall UPS getting a genral thumb's up but promptly turned up a thread with a UPS horror story, so I'm less confident now.  It's going to be to have my new Zoot ZB-1000 delivered.  It'll be wholly within the UK and will ship in a (probably unboxed) Hiscox lite flite case if that helps anyone make a recommendation.  Thanks all.

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

Unboxed UPS won't take it (nor will a few others). Read the small print and you will find very few couriers will insure against damage (only loss/theft), and not to the value of your fabulous Zoot.

Thanks for this.  It's a while since I've needed to use a courier and the last time I did it was probably boxed, so I think I would blithely carried on - forewarned is forearmed though.

24 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I have lots of faith in UPS and Parcelforce - I know that others don't...

I've been using Royal Mail and Parcelforce for non bass related stuff (also not insurable) and have found them as good, if not better, than a host of others, including UPS.

I've mainly used UPS (thru Interparcel) and had good experiences, especially if you pack well (inc outer box). I don't ship over a weekend and always try to go for 24 hour delivery so it's not sitting in a cold warehouse unnecessarily or possibly getting lost....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cetera said:

I've mainly used UPS (thru Interparcel) and had good experiences, especially if you pack well (inc outer box). I don't ship over a weekend and always try to go for 24 hour delivery so it's not sitting in a cold warehouse unnecessarily or possibly getting lost....

1 hour ago, Slappindabass said:

I have used parcel force to send basses all over the world, probably around 20. Never bad a problem. But what I do is ALWAYS choose the fastest option. Before they can even think of losing or damaging it....its at the recipient's front door.😀

This! Always go for the 24hr option and avoid weekends, that way your bass won't be getting stepped on or stored upside down in a warehouse for a few days.

I've just sent a couple of basses out and couldn't find anyone who would insure for damage, they'd only insure for loss. I was a bit worried at first, having heard all of the horror stories, but I chose Parcelforce in the end and the basses turned up next day, in good condition, from what I heard (IE - the box wasn't smashed with footprints all over it). I looked at a few other couriers, but DPD wouldn't take it due to a size restriction and all others seemed expensive in comparison. 

I recently used DPD to ship an amp as well though and that went ahead OK too.

3 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Ah yes, bit of a hike. Was only asking as I end up doing some long trips (including Essex), but nowhere near Chester.

Thanks all the same - appreciate the thought.  Seems Plan A has been scuppered with any of the relatively decent couriers until I can get my hands on a box though...

10 hours ago, Bass Culture said:

It's going to be to have my new Zoot ZB-1000 delivered.

May I ask how come you're sorting out the courier, and not the seller/builder?  If the worse did happen in transit (damage/loss), I'd want them to be responsible for sorting it out, not me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest Gabriel1918

TheGreek said:

I think I may have mentioned this already here....

NOT FACKING MYHERMES OR TUFNELLS - LIARS AND INCOMPETANTS!!! 

+++++

After a month of emailing them, Hermes admitted they deliberately destroyed a parcel of mine worth the best part of £1000.  Apparently even a slightly damaged box risks disappearing down the Hermes black hole (read 'stolen').  The most uncaring courier company I've experienced, and owned by Parcelnet.  Avoid them like the plague.

Wasn't there a low-cost, fully insured courier service being promoted on the forum recently?  Can't remember the name of them.

EDIT: think it was Eurosender, but there seem to be very mixed reviews of them as a booking agent.

Edited by Gabriel1918
added quote

On 22/01/2021 at 11:14, Mykesbass said:

I've been using Royal Mail and Parcelforce for non bass related stuff (also not insurable) and have found them as good, if not better, than a host of others, including UPS.

Another vote for Royal Mail Parcelforce. The only delivery service I have never had a problem with. Other couriers are available.

Overland express.

They are a broker and use APC for bass guitars. I have shipped about 10 basses over the last year with them and the only problem was they had a 2 day delay, one day due to bad weather. And the tracking is really good.

£30 insured for £1000 and it goes up £10 for every extra £1000 I think.

• 2 months later...
Guest Gabriel1918
On 19/03/2021 at 21:26, jezzaboy said:

Overland express.

They are a broker and use APC for bass guitars. I have shipped about 10 basses over the last year with them and the only problem was they had a 2 day delay, one day due to bad weather. And the tracking is really good.

£30 insured for £1000 and it goes up £10 for every extra £1000 I think.

I used APC/ Overlandexpress last month and they were excellent.  Reasonable prices and no problems with the delivery.

Parcelforce 24.. next day delivery..I've shipped all my sold  basses on Basschat to the UK with Parcelforce 24, 5 or 6 in total and  have all arrived by 12.30pm the next day..not bad for £20. Great tracking with them too..Sold one bass to The Netherlands, and one to the south of France last year, with Parcelforce obviously pre Brexit, and they both arrived safe and sound within three days!!