Why become a member? ×

What does Olympic white actually look like?

Grav

7 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

Olympic White is more like magnolia,

The first flat I bought was completely painted magnolia , doors,  frames , walls, ceilings, windows, and  woodchip wallpaper , it took months to re decorate , I never want to see that colour again 😁

• Haha 2

You've only got to look at the green 'daphne blue' basses on Fender's website to appreciate that photos on a computer are generally meaningless. I emailed them to check:

Thanks for getting in touch. The Vintera '60s Jazz Bass is indeed the usual Daphne Blue colour - the photo on the website looks to have been taken in some very bright lighting which makes the finish look more green and usual.

If Fender can't get the colour of their own instrument right, what chance have we got?

I have photo editing programs that show the same image quite differently despite much fiddling with ICC profiles. Then there are monitor settings. Then was the photo taken under natural light or artificial. If the former what time of day and weather, if the latter what type of lighting? What brand of camera and sensor chip? What colour settings? What processing applied to the image?

Believe me, working in publishing it's a right pain. Especially when sent a batch of photos half of which have been taken under one type of lighting with the camera set for another... even with neutral tones in the image it can be impossible to get a decent colour balance in a sensible amount of time. And then you get cheerful readers emailing in to complain...

The most accurate is a DSLR that has had its colour balancing set using a proper neutral grey car under the same lights used to photograph the subject, but it's still going to depend on the program, settings and monitor it's displayed on.

7 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

The first flat I bought was completely painted magnolia , doors,  frames , walls, ceilings, windows, and  woodchip wallpaper , it took months to re decorate , I never want to see that colour again 😁

Yeah but with rosewood door frames and a tort carpet it would've looked epic. 😄

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

You've only got to look at the green 'daphne blue' basses on Fender's website to appreciate that photos on a computer are generally meaningless. I emailed them to check:

If Fender can't get the colour of their own instrument right, what chance have we got?

And that’s per bass. It’s not guaranteed that two new Fenders in the same paint finish actually look identical in the flesh (assuming the same light conditions). I’ve had a few new Fenders in Olympic White and the the Pro I just got is far more aged/cream coloured than any of the previous ones - which makes the aged white pickguard look even worse as they’re basically the same colour.

• Like 1

Although everyone's screens will be giving a different rendition of the colour, Olympic White is definitely a different colour on different models, yes age changes it but go into a large guitar shop and the new ones will be different to each otger. Squier different to Fender, different ranges of instruments different to others, etc. It's really as general as saying something is Cherry Red. 

It's just a creamy off white of varying degrees. 

• Like 1

My '96 Olympic White Stratocaster was a slightly creamy type of white when I bought it (new), and over the years it has become a bit darker, more cream, and now it's almost the same colour as the cream Matt Freeman Squier Precision. 

I've seen 'Olympic White' in various shades of cream, but Arctic White is always snow white-ish as far as I can tell.