Why become a member? ×

Undo a machine head?

Owen

it looks like the upper part of the tuner is fitted after the nut has been fitted, are there any grub screws on the upper part of the tuner? failing that i would probably try to pull or twist the top of the tuner off, it might be a 2 part design, they might unscrew if you turn them the opposite way to the string force.

Matt

i've just had a good look at the Licenced Hipshot tuners on my Kala which are what i think your tuners are modelled after, i cant find any way that they come apart except for the method that @Andyjr1515 suggested, just make sure you keep track of any washers and put them back together in the right orientation.

Matt

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Unscrew the large screw at the back which will release the gear wheel.  Then pull the whole peg with its flange out from the top.  Then you should be able to get a spanner on the bush ;)

The master spoke and it was so.

3 minutes ago, Matt P said:

i've just had a good look at the Licenced Hipshot tuners on my Kala which are what i think your tuners are modelled after, i cant find any way that they come apart except for the method that @Andyjr1515 suggested, just make sure you keep track of any washers and put them back together in the right orientation.

Matt

I have all the washers. Sadly, the grub screw holding the gear wheel is somewhere on the floor. It does not matter because they are going in the bin, however, I still feel stupid. Doing it all on my knee instead of the desk which was literally a foot away from me was not smart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At least three of them are getting so tight when I am tuning up that they are actually refusing to turn. They feel like they are actually going to snap and I have had to string the bass up in the wrong orientation. The plastic washer between the "ear" and the bulk of the unit is getting squashed out of existence. I am not whinging about them, for £200 inc shipping from the other side of the world, there is a lot going on and it is inevitable that cheapness has to happen somewhere. People need to make money to eat and put a roof over their heads.

They are designed for the flobadob (Copyright @Happy Jack) strings, but were actually failing before I put the steel strings on. And the basic structure beneath the outsized string recepticle is just like any other open geared 14mm machine head. They just seemed to be screwing into themselves tighter and tighter rather than actually turning the string peg. The peg was moving, but there was something else happening as well which was not on the design brief.

Edited by owen
  • Haha 2