Why become a member? ×

Fret wraps .... would someone give me guide

jhk

I'm thinking of buying one of these however have not got a clue as to what is best.

would I need different ones for 4,5,6 string basses or do they work universally on all of them?

Are there different types ,and are there types one should avoid?

All advice and tips welcomed !

Some people like them and some don’t, I’ve got them on all my basses, I’ve found the best ones to be , ibassline and gruv gear , they sometimes come in sizes and normally a 4 string jazz is a small, there’s been a few threads on them, I’ll see if I can find them 🙂

Thanks to replies thus far.The bass lines ones only suggest 4/5 strings . I would be happy to buy another one if it was dedicated for my 6 string bass.

Mine being Yamaha trb6p which does have quite a wide neck .

Aren't these things just snake oil?  

I've been playing for over 30 years, never have I needed 'to control the pressure of string dampening effectively cutting the overtones and sympathetic resonance during recording, live performance or techniques like two-hand tapping'.  Hmmm.

I suppose there just comes a time where people will just buy anything under the misconception that it'll improve percieved tone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

I've been playing for over 30 years, never have I needed 'to control the pressure of string dampening effectively cutting the overtones and sympathetic resonance during recording, live performance or techniques like two-hand tapping'.  Hmmm.

I suppose there just comes a time where people will just buy anything under the misconception that it'll improve percieved tone.

I thought the same, but even placed over the nut where it barely affects sustain it does affect the sound (which you can easily test by removing it), and of course you can adjust how tightly it sits.

Is it necessary? For the most part no, but you may like what it does. Or not. I wouldn't say, 'though, that people buy this under some kind of delusion, just because it's not for me. Personally, I don't think I need one, but I liked the effect it had when I tried them. The effect, as far as I could tell, is much more substantial than... rosewood vs maple fingerboards, or high mass bidges vs BBOT, or a few other things that people consider when buying an instrument. Is it an improvement? That's for you to decide.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I think they're a useful thing to have. I struggle to mute open strings, especially when playing fingerstyle and one of these doohickeys does the job quite nicely.

A few years ago, I was in a band that covered "All Right Now" - don't judge me... The nice bass break in the middle relies on a lovely open 'A' note, but if you let it ring out too long. it muddies up the phrase that follows it. I cured that by using a Victor Wooten approved hair tie, which I'd roll from behind the nut when necessary. A "proper" version does the same thing, but is a lot easier to get on and off the neck. I think mine was about £4.00. 

You can use a bit of sponge down by the bridge, but that's a faff to remove, or you can buy one of those on/off muting devices, but they're a bit expensive. This seems to be an cheap and cheerful way to dampen strings, if that's your thing. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, rushbo said:

You can use a bit of sponge down by the bridge, but that's a faff to remove, or you can buy one of those on/off muting devices, but they're a bit expensive. This seems to be an cheap and cheerful way to dampen strings, if that's your thing. 

These only mute open strings though 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ped said:

Very true. They're the things that cause me the most problems  - although when I say "most problems",  I actually mean "one specific problem". I have a customised slice of bath sponge to slip by the bridge for when i want to go "The Full Motown."

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ped said:

That's the thing, if you don't put it on very tight right at the nut you still get reasonable sustain on open strings, but there is an audible effect on any fretted note too. It's subtle, it sounds like a bunch of higher harmonics are removed/toned down. Now, depending on what sound you go for this may not be a great idea but I don't like a very bright tone. On passive basses I'm always rolling the tone control somewhat. Adding that fretwrap at the nut just seemed to make it sound a bit tighter. I was not expecting it but it was there and very reproducibly so, it wasn't that I just happened to hit the right spot. 

It's not something that stands out in the mix, but you feel it when playing, if you know what I mean. 

• Like 2

On 01/02/2021 at 11:47, NancyJohnson said:

I've got my technique together, but I still have the Gruv Gear ones on a couple of my basses. Most of the time they sit behind the nut doing nothing, but they come in handy if I'm doing any tapping or playing upper register chords, especially when recording because all the unwanted overtones and sympathetic vibrations are magnified.

If you don't do that kind of thing, then they may not be for you, but they definitely have their place.