Why become a member? ×

Beth Hart Bass player using Vintage "brand" basses

leroydiamond

Watched Beth Hart live at the Olympia, Paris on arte.tv last night and noticed that the two electric basses used by Tom Lilly were Vintage (brand). It is a great show and the 3 piece band are really cooking. Hart is an amazing performer  and well worth a watch. I was intrigued that Lilly was using Vintage, considering they are cheap as chips  and sounded great. 

No doubt Lilly could opt for Fender or indeed many of the 'boutique' basses out there, but chose Vintage. Indeed the guitarist who used primarily Fender and Gibson throughout the show, played a  Vintage tele during the encore. Am I missing something? 

Edited by leroydiamond
  • Like 1

The vintage guitars and basses have been very good. I bought a bass, for my brother, some 14 years ago. I was gobsmacked at how good it was. Then I bought a 6 string 'Geoff Whitehorn' signature guitar. Again a mighty fine instrument for not a lot of money.

I now also have a 335 a-like and an SG a-like with virbola trem. I was gigging these guitars in a Paul Weller and a Stereophonics tribute before lockdown, they are totally stock and sound really good. If they would make a Sting like P bass (reliced of course) I would definately buy one for my Police tribute

• Like 1

I had a Tony Butler V4 Precision for a while, seriously good instrument, just felt substantial. I expected to have to change the pickups but when I A/Bd it against my US Fender there wasn’t enough in it to bother, the only thing I did was install a KiOgon loom to get better quality electrics in it.

• Like 1

My V4 P-type thing is the one bass that I had to buy on the spot when I only went in to get some picks. Also, the first P bass that really "did it" for me. Very solid and very responsive and lively. Great pickup and hardware. I now have a Mendel sig too, and while prettier, it isn't necessarily better in any particular area.