Why become a member? ×

What do you like to sit on?

Mokl

....when practising/ noodling on your bass?

New domestic set up means that for the first time I'll not be sat on the sofa or edge of the bed - neither of which were ever that great tbh. So I want a bench or stool for my office/music room and was hoping for recommendations,  ideally less than £50, but will possibly prise my wallet further open for an outstanding suggestion! Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Mokl

Office chair for writing and noodling. Easy to have a pen and pad ready for notes.

Standing for reading practice though. I like to have the page at the same level all the time as if it was a big band gig.

I do have my bass reasonably high though so it's in the same position whether I'm standing or sitting.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bigguy2017 said:

This with a wee cushion on it...

FROSTA Stool - birch plywood - IKEA

Perfect height (thighs almost horizontal with feet flat on the floor) and can be stacked when not in use...

Exactly what I’ve got stashed under my desk. Easy to store out of the way. Tho usually I stand to practice anyway. 

• Like 1

I always sit when I'm practicing. I'm not going to stand in one position for a few hours while studying new material, so I want a decent stool. I use a Roc n Soc cycle seat with a backrest. I take it out to long rehearsals and certain gigs too.

• Like 1

I managed to track one of these down on eBay . Discontinued , but very pricey at the time the lid lifts up to store cables / straps / pedals etc . 
Ashdown did 2 versions which may /may not be discontinued also , 

I have a computer chair with no arms also . 
I used to have an Aguilar cab and protective bag . That was very comfy also 

202D9EB4-C595-439B-95C3-92853D78B723.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm another one who prefers to practice standing up - I have found that things I learn when seated are hard to play when standing, everything changes between sitting and standing. I played a few gigs when I was still on crutches after my bike accident, and used bar stools (easily available at pub gigs!) as I could support myself without bending myself into a conventional seated position.

If I do have to sit, I usually sit on my derrière.

(How cute, I can't even spell derrière!)

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies so far. 

I get the practice standing thing - and should do that more for reasons cited,- however I have a pretty "relaxed" practice regime,  and do enjoy just sitting back and having a noodle.

Sitting on the floor - no idea how you manage that without losing circulation in your leg! 

Edited by Mokl

50 minutes ago, Mokl said:

Thanks for the replies so far. 

I get the practice standing thing - and should do that more for reasons cited,- however I have a pretty "relaxed" practice regime,  and do enjoy just sitting back and having a noodle.

Sitting on the floor - no idea how you manage that without losing circulation in your leg! 

Trouble with this, if you do gig, is that the bass is in the wrong position when you switch to standing.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Trouble with this, if you do gig, is that the bass is in the wrong position when you switch to standing.

I think that as long as you don't have your bass in a super low or high position, it shouldn't make much difference really.

Edited by Doddy

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

I hear ya, depending on the bass,  it kind shifts forward/across. I've  never had too much trouble adapting tbh, although I keep strap height probably about where it'd be if sitting, as that's where I like it balance/ reach-wise, so maybe that's why.

Just sitting on the couch for general noodling. Probably terrible for back & posture, and definitely not good for fretting hand position but, er, whatever.

For recording I either stand or use an old (long discontinued) Ikea Traktor stool:

image.thumb.png.4d191e51e29e04faa0ce8d14de06bbd2.png

Rolls out of the way if I want to stand & has a good range of height adjustment & a surprisingly comfortable ar$e-shaped seat. The bass stays on the strap when sitting for a bit of added stability.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

An office chair, without arms, can be found fairly cheaply, I'm sure. I don't remember what mine cost and it's starting to get a bit tatty after a good ten years or so, but it's comfy, and the rotating seat is handy.

Same here. I do walk about playing occasionally, but I'm up on my hind legs all day at work so sitting is favoured.

Plus... I practise along to stuff on my PC - rehearsal files, youtube, guitar pro etc. so it makes sense to be right on front of it...

Edited by odysseus