Why become a member? ×

Won't Get Fooled Again?

yorks5stringer

Ever since I was a young boy, I've played the silver ball

From Soho down to Brighton, I must've played 'em all

But I ain't seen nothin' like him in any amusement hall

That deaf, dumb, and blind kid sure doesn’t understand the complexities of possible multiple visas or work permits when travelling and performing in Europe which some industry experts say will be expensive and potentially prohibitive - especially for musicians at the start of their careers.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 3
  • Haha 10

There was a video of Daltrey shared by JOB on Twitter. He quite clearly has or had absolutely no idea whatsoever about how the modern creative arts industry works. He came across as a totally arrogant fool. I never liked his music anyway.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Ever since I was a young boy, I've played the silver ball

From Soho down to Brighton, I must've played 'em all

But I ain't seen nothin' like him in any amusement hall

That deaf, dumb, and blind kid sure doesn’t understand the complexities of possible multiple visas or work permits when travelling and performing in Europe which some industry experts say will be expensive and potentially prohibitive - especially for musicians at the start of their careers.

It seems that Daltrey has become the person who is trying to put us down and stop us getting around. Given the lyrics of "Substitute", of course, geography wasn't really his thing.

I don't want to see noted vocalists getting into questions of government they don't understand, for the same reason I don't want to watch senior politicians trying to dance. It's always clumsy, their timing always stinks, you always respect them less, and it's always a moment that haunts them forever.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

Given the lyrics of "Substitute", of course, geography wasn't really his thing.

It's entirely possible for the north side of town to face east, and the east side to face south, isn't it? 

But, the simple things Daltrey sees are definitely all complicated, he doesn't look that young and he is backdated, yeah. 

Substitute (TM for BJ), your lies for fact, unfortunately you didn't see right through their plastic mac. 

Oh Roger, whatever happened? 

• Haha 1

Whilst him being shown to be an utter hypocrite is funny. It’s also distracting from the point, that this farce that’s been foisted on an already struggling creative industry, is anything but funny. It was dismissed in parliament two days ago. We can’t give up though, and need to keep campaigning - hopefully until this whole dark and utterly pointless project has been reversed - but at least until those working in the creative industry are able to carry on working unhindered across borders, as they have for the last twenty or more years.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, ambient said:

...We can’t give up though, and need to keep campaigning...

But why, though..? Notwithstanding the rights or wrongs of the issue, surely there comes a point whereby one has to accept that it's a Fact of Life, like it or not, and move on..? I'm not suggesting that the cause is not just; merely that, maybe, it's a Lost Cause, and energy expended towards it is energy wasted. A darned shame, but such is Life, no..? :/

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

But why, though..? Notwithstanding the rights or wrongs of the issue, surely there comes a point whereby one has to accept that it's a Fact of Life, like it or not, and move on..? I'm not suggesting that the cause is not just; merely that, maybe, it's a Lost Cause, and energy expended towards it is energy wasted. A darned shame, but such is Life, no..? :/

Not sure history is on your side: Women's Suffrage, Black Suffrage,...... School Meals?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

That is very easy to say when you have visa-free access to the whole of the EU should you want to gig more than 50 miles away from your home.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Why? Basically because it’s how the creative arts industry has set itself up to work in the 21st century. It’s very much a DIY scene. Be it music - not just bands either, but also orchestras, composers, DJs, producers, tour personnel - including roadies, lighting, sound, trucking, there’s also theatre, dance and TV production. It’s also a fantastic and highly rewarding experience. For many it’s an important revenue stream. 

Edited by ambient
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

That is very easy to say when you have visa-free access to the whole of the EU should you want to gig more than 50 miles away from your home.

It's just as easy to say when living in North Wales, or Sunderland. I'm not considering my own situation; I'm well past international gigs now.

Just now, ambient said:

Why? Basically because it’s how the creative arts industry has set itself up to work in the 21st century. It’s very much a DIY scene. Be it music - not just bands either, but also orchestras, composers, DJs, producers, tour personnel including roadies, lighting, sound, trucking, there’s also theatre, dance andTV. It’s also a fantastic and highly rewarding experience. For many it’s an important revenue stream. 

Yes, I understand the issue, but if it's done and dusted, what needs doing to get it changed, and will that happen..? If it's not going to change, when does one accept that fact, if at all..?

1 minute ago, yorks5stringer said:

I meant free school meals, not the birth of them, which was in Bradford incidentally.

Yes, and a small bottle of school milk, whist we're campaigning..? Who's stupid idea was it to stop that..? When is that coming back..? :/