Why become a member? ×

Easy Funk basslines

Reggaebass

12 hours ago, bassfan said:

Have a go at September - Earth Wind & Fire  . . . .

Here you go.

I find this version very helpful -  it contains both the notation, and the tab and I can slow it down to 3/4 speed.   I can see the offbeat notes on the first and third bars of this screenshot.  And as we all know, offbeats are funky....  

He has even transcribed the mistake (or tape drop out?) at 0'16".  Wonderful.

• Like 3

Although not particularly easy, I find playing along with this whole album  (either bass or guitar)  akin to a full on workout. It will first and foremost teach you the importance of rhythm and discipline to funk. It will also  tighten your timing and feel unbelievably, as well as giving you the strength of a gorilla in both left and right hands and arms - a must for keeping that focus on the 1 for prolonged periods 🔥🔥

Edited by P-Belly Evans
  • Like 5

Wow - those James Brown tracks - just spent a happy couple of hours playing along to a pile of old stuff I haven't blown the dust off for a good while.

P-Belly Evans is right - a great bass workout, and enormous fun to play. And apparently any key you like, as long as it's D

Not quite sure I feel like a Sex Machine yet, but there's still time........... :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Raslee said:

Did this one the other day - great fun, there's a few tutorials on Youtube too....funky as funk, especially the outro riffs:

Yeah I like that , cheers Raslee , I’ll have to watch a tutorial to see what’s going on 

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

Yeah I like that , cheers Raslee , I’ll have to watch a tutorial to see what’s going on 

Yeah, the slides are a bit weird early on in the tune, perhaps overdubbed afterwards (?), but its got some crazy fun parts true to the Funkadelic spirit :)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Here's a wonderful track and one of about  25+ i played in my funk band - the notes are not that tricky, but the timing is more critical.

Another outrageous bass line by Bootsy Collins

That’s a great one fb ☝️,  I see what you’re saying ,about the timing 

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 1

On 20/01/2021 at 22:37, bass_dinger said: 

When I play funk, I play all the right rests, but not necessarily of the right length . . . 

That just reminded me of this....

“Im playing all the right notes... but not necessarily in the right order!”

E09C3A9D-5242-40BD-97D6-C88B9A957195.png

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...