Why become a member? ×

How/why do people allow their gear to get in a state?

TheGreek

1 hour ago, Thunderbird said:

Cleaning of some sort would be essential in the present covid situation I would of thought

I know someone who caught Covid off a food delivery from Ocado. We wash or wipe down everything that comes into the house, or if we can't do that, put it away on a shelf for a week.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, greavesbass said:

No need to spend on new strings on such a cheap bass. Pop them in a pan with washing powerder and boil on the gas for a bit....will be squeaky clean.

However even at minimum wage rates it's more economical to fit a set of £5.00 strings then it is to go through all that cleaning hassle.

3 hours ago, chris_b said:

I know someone who caught Covid off a food delivery from Ocado. We wash or wipe down everything that comes into the house, or if we can't do that, put it away on a shelf for a week.

Yoiks!! I thought this was a possibility but haven't seen any proven instances until your account. 

I borrowed a 6 string Harley Benton bass from a mate for a practice at a mutual friend's house. It was foul. The action was quite high and on the underside of the strings you could see an actual build up of grease from his fingers, it was like 2 or 3mm thick in places. It made me almost physically sick.

• Like 2

It does constantly amaze me how people let their get get in to such a state.

Remember doing a setup on a friends guitar, I spent more time cleaning it than actually doing the setup.

The 4003 I bought a few months back was in desperate need of a bloody good clean, and the case had to be changed as it absolutely stank (it was knackered as well).

Edited by Skybone

9 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Flipping things over you can get some buyers who really are annoyingly, nay pathetically @n@l about the tiniest imperfection. A few months ago I sold a very well looked after Ibanez electric guitar via EBay for less than half the price I bought it. Advertised as 'like new' I checked it over in minute details, could see no scratches and spent an hour cleaning it and packing it safely. A couple of days after the buyer got it I had a message saying expressing his disappointment that it wasn't 'like new' as there was a 'hairline scratch' near the neck pickup. He attached a photo which I expanded but still could see nowt. He must've used an electron microscope to look for flaws or mebbe the Hubble telescope. I mean he'd already knocked me well down on the price until it was cheaper than all other copies of the same model. People eh? 

When my friend was selling some of his comic collection on eBay, he described some of them as mint. The buyer contacted him upon receipt, stating “these comics have been read, so they’re not mint”. They were, so far as either of us could see, absolutely unblemished in every way. I can only assume the buyer had been over them with a microscope. Like you say, people. 🙄