Why become a member? ×

Sterling Sub Ray 5 - any good? Light?

Paul S

Does anyone have one of these could give a quick overview?  Mainly - how much do they weigh?  I see on the specs they are basswood.  Online reviews seem very positive - as far as it is possible to tell from those.

Muchas gracias :) 

My son got a Sterling Sub 5 last year, and for the money, it is incredible.   I have a Stingray and honestly speaking, when comparing the two, the law of diminishing returns kicks in hard at £400.  Buy with confidence.  
It plays like a dream.  The neck is chunky, a bit like a P-bass probably, but feels solid as a rock.

I don’t find it heavy and I see someone else has given you a weight.  As with all 5-strings get a good strap and make sure you’re fit , and all should be good.

For build quality, sound and playability, I can’t really fault it, probably not as good as a Ray, but not light years apart.  As for value, for £400, the Sterling Sub is off the scale. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I bought one recently - arrived today - it weighs 4.5kg

Thanks Mick.  About 1kg too heavy.

9 hours ago, garyt said:

I don’t find it heavy and I see someone else has given you a weight.  As with all 5-strings get a good strap and make sure you’re fit , and all should be good.

I know your advice is well meant, and thank you for it.  But there are many folks on here - me included - that simply can't wear a bass that heavy for very long and for various reasons.  I am as fit as I can be with a prolapsed disc and a good wide strap can only go so far.  Before anyone suggests it, I have a Duo strap and that does work to an extent but has limitations.  If the weight of a bass is never a problem it is difficult to see or understand why it suddenly becomes one but the bottom line is that with certain medical conditions the only answer is to choose a lightweight bass.  Once the world of back issues has been entered all manner of everyday things are suddenly no longer straightforward - cutting toenails, putting on socks, tying shoelaces etc etc

Lightweight 5ers do exist, though.  I have a Maruszyzck Jake 5 that weighs 8lbs, lovely thing, I sometimes wonder about replacing it to release some funds.  But the balance of weight and quality is tricky.  If an 8lb Yamaha BB425 comes along, I'll be making some decisions :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a sterling sub ray 5 and it was considerably lighter than that. I never weighed it but it was not a heavy bass at all (and I have had one or two that were). Anything 4+ is heavy for my liking.

It wasn't specifically light though, in that of my SRs, I have one lighter, one about the same and one much heavier.

Anything over 9lbs is pretty much a no-no nowadays. In fact I recently did some practising at home standing up (I only gig seated these days) and after half an hour I was struggling. I don’t think any of my basses are over 9lbs, and are probably a bit less. Prolapsed discs eh? 🙄

• Like 1

On 20/01/2021 at 08:29, Paul S said:

know your advice is well meant, and thank you for it.  But there are many folks on here - me included - that simply can't wear a bass that heavy for very long and for various reasons.  I am as fit as I can be with a prolapsed disc and a good wide strap can only go so far.  Before anyone suggests it, I have a Duo strap and that does work to an extent but has limitations.  If the weight of a bass is never a problem it is difficult to see or understand why it suddenly becomes one but the bottom line is that with certain medical conditions the only answer is to choose a lightweight bass.  Once the world of back issues has been entered all manner of everyday things are suddenly no longer straightforward - cutting toenails, putting on socks, tying shoelaces etc etc

Ah yes, obviously if you have back problems, that is far more important.  Please be assured my comment was in now way meant to be derogatory .   The Sterling Sub is about 4.5kg, so sounds like that might be too heavy for what you’re looking for. 
If weight is your issue, then that should trump all, and get a really light bass - you have a really valid reason to spend a bit of money.  But it sounds like you already have a light bass, so probably know what you’re looking for.  Or what about playing sitting down ... drummers do it all gig long 😂

Edited by garyt

Too expensive and too heavy. I would also have to ask what I'm getting for my money that's worth me spending that much that I won't get at half the price. The answer is probably: nothing.

At 4.5 kg I couldn't carry that on my back for long, so for long term health it's a definite NO.. Even it makes my breakfast every morning.

Edited by TheLowDown
  • Like 1

On 19/01/2021 at 14:05, Paul S said:

Does anyone have one of these could give a quick overview?  Mainly - how much do they weigh?  I see on the specs they are basswood.  Online reviews seem very positive - as far as it is possible to tell from those.

Muchas gracias :) 

If you're looking for a 5-string Stingray alternative, especially light weight, I cannot recommend the Harley Benton MB-5 SBK enough (it's important that it is the SBK model, the satin black one). They seem consistently low weight (mine is 8.6 lbs) and they're superb. Yes, they're passive, but also they only cost £125 or thereabouts, so if you *must* put a preamp in it the total cost won't be high, which is nice.

It is the first 5-string I really gelled with (the closest before this was the Lakland 5502, and a USA EBMM SUB, but one didn't have the sound I wanted and the other was very heavy, the G&L L2500 was a beast, but never felt comfortable enough and was also very heavy...) and I have been playing it exclusively since I got it. EBMM Stingray and Sandberg be damned, as nice as they are... I just gravitate towards the MB-5 every time.

The only problem is they seem out of stock now, but they'll come back. If you're willing to wait, I cannot recommend it enough.

IMG_20210107_123759188.jpg?dl=1

IMG_20210107_123701471.jpg?dl=1

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Overall weight is important, but for me good balance is far more critical  - I’d much rather have a 4.5Kg bass with perfect balance than a 3.5Kg bass whose headstock wants to hit the deck.

The problem with a 5 or 6 is that there’s a minimum amount of weight on the headstock acting as a lever and the wider neck and board make it very hard to make a light bass that doesn’t also dive badly. This is where companies that just stretch their 4 string design fail, but basses built as a 5 or 6 from the ground up are generally better in this regard.

The Yamaha (425/435 etc) is a case in point. I had a 425 that was about 4.2Kg but had original massive Fender tuners that contributed 560g to the weight of the bass (yes, I weighed them) and suffered from terrible neck dive. Swapping out with some ultra light tuners would shave 250-300g but the perceived weight loss was more like 0.5Kg to 0.75kg. Hey presto, after the swap it was pretty much perfect balance.

22 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

Overall weight is important, but for me good balance is far more critical  - I’d much rather have a 4.5Kg bass with perfect balance than a 3.5Kg bass whose headstock wants to hit the deck.

The problem with a 5 or 6 is that there’s a minimum amount of weight on the headstock acting as a lever and the wider neck and board make it very hard to make a light bass that doesn’t also dive badly. This is where companies that just stretch their 4 string design fail, but basses built as a 5 or 6 from the ground up are generally better in this regard.

The Yamaha (425/435 etc) is a case in point. I had a 425 that was about 4.2Kg but had original massive Fender tuners that contributed 560g to the weight of the bass (yes, I weighed them) and suffered from terrible neck dive. Swapping out with some ultra light tuners would shave 250-300g but the perceived weight loss was more like 0.5Kg to 0.75kg. Hey presto, after the swap it was pretty much perfect balance.

Very true. Nothing more disappointing than grabbing a bass "oh, it's light, nice" and then have it neck-dive.

(No such problem on the MB-5 :) edit: did I mention it's 8.6 lbs? )

Edited by mcnach

22 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

I have a perfectly balanced HB MB-4 with a heavy chunky neck and a heavy body, and it still does my back in. That's the important bottom line. My body says that it's way too heavy, but my over rationalising mind says" quit your moaning, it's well balanced!" as my back creaks and haunches over just that little bit more.

I will choose an overall light bass with neck dive over a heavy well balanced bass any day of the week. The former can be remedied with a wide soft leather/suede strap, but there is no antidote to the latter.

Edited by TheLowDown

27 minutes ago, TheLowDown said:

I have a perfectly balanced HB MB-4 with a heavy chunky neck and a heavy body, and it still does my back in. That's the important bottom line. My body says that it's way too heavy, but my over rationalising mind says" quit your moaning, it's well balanced!" as my back creaks and haunches over just that little bit more.

I will choose an overall light bass with neck dive over a heavy well balanced bass any day of the week. The former can be remedied with a wide soft leather/suede strap, but there is no antidote to the latter.

I never found a good solution for neck dive. Non-slip strap? it pulls on my shirt and eventually it still dives and takes my shirt with it (I don't wear a thick jacket on stage). Repositioning strap buttons in some cases it can help, but when I tried it I didn't quite like the new position either. Lighter tuners can be a good solution but only when the dive is not too serious. In the end if a bass has neck dive, it's got to go: I'd rather look for another bass that is better balanced. Neck dive is a deal breaker for me, even more so than the weight, although fortunately there are so many options that one can probably find the 'Goldilocks' bass if you look around a bit.

1 hour ago, TheLowDown said:

A bass with poor balance pulls on your neck. This is pretty bad for you if you play a lot in the long term - it puts pressure on both the cervical vertebrae and the nerves in your neck. Of course, if it’s too heavy it’s too heavy, but a sensible construction with a lighter weight wood in the neck and a bit more weight in the body, plus light tuners, gives the best of both worlds. Headless is even better but I can’t really get on with the look!

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

Lighter tuners can be a good solution but only when the dive is not too serious.

16 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

A bass with poor balance pulls on your neck. This is pretty bad for you if you play a lot in the long term - it puts pressure on both the cervical vertebrae and the nerves in your neck. Of course, if it’s too heavy it’s too heavy, but a sensible construction with a lighter weight wood in the neck and a bit more weight in the body, plus light tuners, gives the best of both worlds. Headless is even better but I can’t really get on with the look!

Yes, there is always a solution in addition to a comfortable strap. With an overall heavy bass, there isn't.

Edited by TheLowDown
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

Actually, this depends to some degree on what’s wrong with you. The absolute worst case scenario for me is a body-heavy bias, which some headless basses can suffer with. And as has been said, a lighter bass with a very slight neck bias I find less troublesome on my spine than a perfectly balanced heavy one.

Having said all that, as I said previously, I only rehearse or gig seated these days, although I still won’t go heavy because of the odd occasion when I might want/need to stand.