Why become a member? ×

Pearl Jam shuts down tribute act Pearl Jamm

uk_lefty

It always seems heavy handed when a major act treats a tribute in this way, but in this case you can see their point! I doubt that anyone is going to confuse this tribute with PJ, but just adding an extra ‘d’ to the name and using copyrighted images for their merch and just using the amending band name is pushing their luck.

I play in a Magnum tribute and they have been very supportive (to a point), even getting one of their crew to come to an early rehearsal to check us out and offer advice. But there were concerns with anything that could be interpreted as a copyright issue, even down to negotiating what font we could use on posters, websites, merch, etc. And yes, you can sell merch – just not as much as you would like!

As I said, Magnum have been quite helpful. I think that they take the view that we help to promote the band when they’re not on the road. Of course, with a band like Magnum that have a relatively small but fanatical fanbase, it’s not like we are making much money out of it. There are some bands (Iron Maiden especially comes to mind) that really go out of their way to help their tribute acts. 

Edited by peteb

The only tribs I have been in have been graciously treated by the band that went before them. On three different occasions original members came on stage with us and played a few numbers. 

In fact not long after playing with us they reformed and made a comeback! 

Not every super famous musician feels threatened by a tribute. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

If you're not related to the tribute band then you have to be very intoxicated to be buying their merch, I mean, why would you?! 

Id imagine a few people could get caught up in the moment.

To be fair though, I'd pay to see somebody wear one and stand right at the front at a Pearl Jam concert to see what the reaction is.

(Not much money though)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I cant remember when or where I read this, so I might well be spouting utter balls, but I think if you don't bother to defend your trademarks etc from being used by one person then it's open season on them.

ah yes, the Rickenbacker argument!  Supposedly the reason that Rickenbacker relentlessly pursue fakes is that other manufacturers have lost copyright claims because they had left it too long and there were so many similar designs on the market that they had seemed unconcerned with to that point

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/fender-loses-guitar-copyright-case-201886

Even the lawsuit that gave us "lawsuit era guitars" only concerned Ibanez copying Gibson's the  headstock design, not the fact that it was on a Les Paul copy

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

As I mentioned, we have never sold merchandise, but I have been shocked at how many people have asked for it at gigs all the same. Alcohol and even a half decent gig makes punters part with cash - fact.

I have seldom felt as awkward as when signing autographs for punters after a tribute gig. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have a mate in a Who tribute band.  Not my thing at all but you'd think they were the Who the extent to which he goes on. They are just copying and riding on the fame of the real band. There's money, but no merit in it whatsoever. Not the merit he thinks, anyway.

I think there's been a thread before but my favourite tribute band name is By Jovi.

Edited by Steve Browning

35 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

What name did you put? Your name? The person you were tributing? Or did you have a tribute to the individual artist name? 

We signed our own names, but not before protesting that we were not in any way worthy of such attention, nor were we in any way associated with the original band

On 19/01/2021 at 18:03, EBS_freak said:

I'd pay to see somebody wear one and stand right at the front at a Pearl Jam concert

Ha. 😀
In Oslo, Neil Young met up with the Young Neils, and then wore their t-shirt when he performed.
Loved that.

BTW, the Young Neils were known musicians in other bands, and certainly not the preying types.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I cant remember when or where I read this, so I might well be spouting utter balls, but I think if you don't bother to defend your trademarks etc from being used by one person then it's open season on them.

It's not quite as simple as that, but certainly allowing unauthorised use to continue once you're aware of it can make things very difficult for you further down the line; I actually work in this business lol (not a lawyer though!), one of our other offices handle stuff for one of the biggest bands on the planet and they/their management will come down like the proverbial bricks on anything that gets too close.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Ha. 😀
In Oslo, Neil Young met up with The Young Neils, and then wore their t-shirt when he performed.
Loved that.

BTW, The Young Neils were known musicians in other bands, and certainly not the preying types.

There's an interview with Robert Plant where he's P!ssing himself laughing about Dread Zeplin, in a nice way. Now they are how to do a tribute! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

What name did you put? Your name? The person you were tributing? Or did you have a tribute to the individual artist name? 

Not sure how widespread it is, but the Stones trib I saw a while back had names like Mick Stagger or something.

But they kind of got into slightly comical versions of the band (well Jagger/Richards/Woods anyway).

Have always been slightly wary about playing other people's stuff, and felt way more at ease with writing my own material and letting famous people play it... as a tribute so to speak.
Sadly, Bach, Beethoven, Strawinsky and others were not in line with my thinking.

• Haha 1