Why become a member? ×

Pearl Jam shuts down tribute act Pearl Jamm

uk_lefty

https://loudwire.com/pearl-jam-cease-and-desist-tribute-band-pearl-jamm/

Interesting article. Odd timing too. 

Got to admit though, they could have had a better tribute act name. Like "the Jeremy's", "Pearl Marmalade" or something. Me and my mates used to laugh at the shoddy tribute band names that were basically crude enough to be things like: "Not Queen" etc, but I don't think they got cease and desist letters! 

Edited by uk_lefty

I guess it'll be the suits throwing the legal paper around, but if you lack the brain power to come up with a unique name and instead chose a name that is the exactly same as the original when spoken, you deserve all the trouble you get.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

I think the letter from them to Pearl Jam was a very classy act, no moaning whinging or insults at all.

In retrospect and doing some further reading and checking out their website and social media, I disagree.

They should be gearing up to get sued.

Thing is, I wonder how many sales Pearl Jam have made due to Pearl Jamm? As in, stray punters who see said Pearl Jamm, realise they like the music so go and buy Pearl Jams CDs & tee shirts etc. Not enough to make them significantly richer of course, but I can’t see people who truly like the real band only buying the tribute stuff.

• Like 2

On 19/01/2021 at 15:36, Lozz196 said:

Thing is, I wonder how many sales Pearl Jam have made due to Pearl Jamm? As in, stray punters who see said Pearl Jamm, realise they like the music so go and buy Pearl Jams CDs & tee shirts etc. Not enough to make them significantly richer of course, but I can’t see people who truly like the real band only buying the tribute stuff.

Now ask Pearl Jamm how much money that they have made off the back of Pearl Jam's music, image, logos, copyright infringement... I would wager it's relatively (very much) a one way street.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 2

In my 25 years as a founding member/bassist in KISS tribute 'Dressed To Kill' we were more than aware of the issues here.

It was a mutual respect arrangement. We paid tribute to KISS, appeared at KISS product launches and helped promote the band when their UK/European record & PR companies were doing sod all, kept their name alive and spread the word....

We wore the outfits, played the iconic instruments and had the famous lit logo, drumhead logos, pyro, blood spitting, fire breathing etc.... BUT.... our name was sufficiently different (an 'album name' and a play on our 'look') and we NEVER sold any merchandise with the KISS logo or make-up prominently displayed. We ALWAYS made it clear that we were a KISS tribute.... and always supplied our set lists to PRS for the original artist to get fair payment for our live performances.

As a result, they treated us fairly, always recognised us at gigs/events and even went as far as to keep a 'secret eye' on anything we were doing song/arrangement-wise. Really.....!! We had it on good authority that they copied a breakdown I wrote into the live version of 'God Gave Rock n Roll To You'.... and their Manager Doc McGhee also asked my direct opinion on adding Beth back into the live set....based on the perceived popularity of the song in our shows....

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cetera said:

In my 25 years as a founding member/bassist in KISS tribute 'Dressed To Kill' we were more than aware of the issues here.

It was a mutual respect arrangement. We paid tribute to KISS, appeared at KISS product launches and helped promote the band when their UK/European record & PR companies were doing sod all, kept their name alive and spread the word....

We wore the outfits, played the iconic instruments and had the famous lit logo, drumhead logos, pyro, blood spitting, fire breathing etc.... BUT.... our name was sufficiently different (an 'album name' and a play on our 'look') and we NEVER sold any merchandise with the KISS logo or make-up prominently displayed. We ALWAYS made it clear that we were a KISS tribute.... and always supplied our set lists to PRS for the original artist to get fair payment for our live performances.

As a result, they treated us fairly, always recognised us at gigs/events and even went as far as to keep a 'secret eye' on anything we were doing song/arrangement-wise. Really.....!! We had it on good authority that they copied a breakdown I wrote into the live version of 'God Gave Rock n Roll To You'.... and their Manager Doc McGhee also asked my direct opinion on adding Beth back into the live set....based on the perceived popularity of the song in our shows....

Indeed, that's the way to do it. We've not sold a penny's worth of merchandise and don't intend to either. Probably slightly different for us and our original artist is dead, but you still have to be sensible.

• Thanks 1

Pearl Jam don't like their fans getting ripped off.

Their one band war against Ticket Master in the 90s started over a 1$ admin fee that Ticket Master wanted to charge people for tickets for a free concert that Pearl Jam were putting on and rapidly escalated to Pearl Jam boycotting every Ticket Master associated venue in the US and testifying before congress over Ticket Master's monopoly.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/pearl-jam-ticketmaster-1995-boycott-booking-fees-gigs-ticket-prices-a8989516.html

Edited by Cato
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, cetera said:

Indeed. It's about being decent.

• Thanks 1