Why become a member? ×

Suggestions for home practice and playing pleasure with great tone

Jaybeevee

Mild curve ball here, but what about something like the Hotone Thunder Bass?

It's a 5w mini amp (ideal for home use) that's supposed to give an SVT-like sound, in albeit a much smaller package. Match it up to a decent cab (or headphones), ideal home rig. There are a few people on here that really like theirs.

Relatively inexpensive too.

NAD - HoTone Nano Legacy Thunder Bass - Amps and Cabs - Basschat

Edited by Skybone

56 minutes ago, Skybone said:

It's a 5w mini amp (ideal for home use) that's supposed to give an SVT-like sound, in albeit a much smaller package. Match it up to a decent cab (or headphones), ideal home rig. There are a few people on here that really like theirs.

I do keep fancying one of those!

16 hours ago, Skybone said:

Learning of so much new stuff in this tread...

• Like 1

A  bit late to the party here, but I recently picked up a Yamaha THR10 and it's fantastic. I'm always concious of irritating the neighbours, and when I saw these on YouTube I started keeping an eye out.

They're hard to describe. It has two 3" speakers but they get great volume that doesn't "travel". Plenty of low-end too, somehow. The half-dozen guitar voicings are great (one of the reasons I got it) and it makes a fantastic music player. Beautiful too, could sit out in the open and no one would bat an eye.

The Blackstar BEAM is similar, though I haven't tried it. Both especially great if you play both guitar and bass.

On 25/01/2021 at 19:45, JapanAxe said:

I do keep fancying one of those!

In fact after posting on here about them, I had a look on t'net for one.

Arrived earlier this week, and what a great sounding bit of kit it is.

Only used it with headphones so far, but it sounds great to my ears. It'll be interesting to plug it into a cab at some point.

Edited by Skybone

On 24/01/2021 at 12:51, ped said:

Unless other people need to hear you I’d never use an amplifier for home playing. Why not get a great headphone setup so you can play along with things and hear your bass like it’s on a record rather than reverberating things in the room. You don’t get the ‘clack’ from your instrument acoustically interfering with the bass sound either. 

Yeeks!

I have an Orange Crush 25 in my bedroom and  A TE 1110 combo in my office/workshop 🙂

58 minutes ago, Skybone said:

In fact after posting on here about them, I had a look on t'net for one.

Arrived earlier this week, and what a great sounding bit of kit it is.

Only used it with headphones so far, but it sounds great to my ears. It'll be interesting to plug it into a cab at some point.

May I ask where you got it from? There's quite a range of prices out there!

Got it from Sounds Great on Reverb. They used to have a shop in Wilmslow, but it shut down last year IIRC. They're selling off old stock on Reverb, and that was the last one, and was cheaper than anywhere else.

GAK do them for £75, think Bax have them for about the same. Everywhere else, you're looking at around £85.

Edited by Skybone

2 hours ago, Skybone said:

Got it from Sounds Great on Reverb. They used to have a shop in Wilmslow, but it shut down last year IIRC. They're selling off old stock on Reverb, and that was the last one, and was cheaper than anywhere else.

GAK do them for £75, think Bax have them for about the same. Everywhere else, you're looking at around £85.

Cheers. And also ‘D’oh!’

On 24/01/2021 at 18:59, Bunion said:

I’m currently running an Ampeg SVT IIP tube preamp through a PJB big head with headphones it’s sounds sweet. 
I do sometimes run it through the effects loop of a battered Ampeg VR and SVT 210 HE 

With the option to plug my iPhone into the big head also and play as loud as I can handle with media included  im finding I spend more practice time on the PJB. 
I’ll drop this in here from the PJB website as it’s something I haven’t tried 

A more important function of the BigHead is being a recording tool both in digital and analog. As an Analog Digital Converter, it has the finest BURR BROWN digital components. The USB out is 48KHz 16Bit digital conversion. In other words, recording your bass into Pro Tools will give you exactly what you wish for and absolutely nothing else.

I second this; the PJB Big Heads are amazing. Fits in your pocket, super clean and can be used with headphones and/or used as a preamp. I pretty much use mine exclusively when practicing at home these days.

12 hours ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

I second this; the PJB Big Heads are amazing. Fits in your pocket, super clean and can be used with headphones and/or used as a preamp. I pretty much use mine exclusively when practicing at home these days.

Cool, i have one of these for considerate practice, and find it great also, but have never paired with a pre amp.. i just plug straight in. If i can get away with it though, i do prefer playing headphone free

• 1 year later...

Most of us spend a great deal of time playing guitar in either a bedroom or a small home recording studio. Limited space, grumpy neighbors, and a patient family make it hard to really crank that amp. San Fransisco companies are well-known and quite good for guitars with wonderful offers. Still, we all want a big and fat tone that has all the qualities of playing on a loud stack. I’m a believer in that you can get great tones from almost any type of equipment. Still, getting an amp that’s suited for a smaller room, will save you a lot of headaches.

Edited by ChrisHerlihy5

Noodling every day, (one of the great pleasures my life), means switching between my 6 instruments, reminding me of why they're keepers & enjoying their different look, feel & sound.

This, usually through a TCE BH250 into 2 x BF One10s. Often accompanied by my Beatbuddy, I do recommend a drum machine of some sort, helps practice timing and adds to the pleasure. 

Markbass 101 is a cool practice amp. Not tube or vintage, but sounds good at low volume, DI out for recording, aux in and headphone out for late night playing... I like mine.

A decent pair of headphones makes a difference too. AKG K92s work for me.

On 06/04/2022 at 17:38, JapanAxe said:

Since I built my B15 clone, that and a BF One 10 now make up my incredibly indulgent practice rig. Although I don’t usually use it in my back yard…

Have you experienced any flash over problems with the valve rectifier GZ34/5AR4?

Edited by BassmanPaul

I'm glad you discovered the SS diode feeding each of the rectifier anodes trick. I had the same problem with my Sixties B15NF. The diodes increase the PIV of the rectifier system to prevent flashover and blowing of fuses. This was my reason for asking my question. Member @beans-on-toastgave me the tip. :)

Enjoy your amp. :)

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1

On 03/02/2021 at 07:53, jbu09 said:

I have a Dave Hall VT1 and my local store has Blackstar U250 ACT active cabinet. I wonder if that would be an interesting como?

Anyone have any experience with active or powered cabs?

I play through a HX Stomp and into a QSC K12.2, no way I’d ever go back to a traditional rig.

• 1 month later...

Well, I went Ampeg in the end and this really suits what i wanted. Sounds lovely at low volumes, and if i keep the gain low, it doesn't get to boomy, just nice n thick across the range.

Got the anp used, and the cab black friday.. happy daze

Ampeg.jpg

• Like 2