Why become a member? ×

For all the basses I have loved...

AndyTravis

4 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Now I have 6 basses (well, 5 and a half). I really should trim down, it's a bit silly. I just need to work out the optimum number. 

I also have a rule of "don't spend the proceeds until the courier has delivered the item AND the buyer is happy". I broke that rule last night, but the intent is there. That's how I ended up with the Warwick while the Aria was lost in a DPD vortex. 

I was never very good with the “don’t spend the proceeds until...” rule.

Red = still have it. 4 strings unless otherwise stated.

• 1964 Höfner Artist - bought for £20 from my school metalwork teacher in 1982. One dead pickup, the other not great. Currently feeling inspired to do a restomod.
  • Columbus Jazz - after I got the Wal, I lent this to a supposed friend who promptly left town with it. I hope it exploded in his hands, thieving bastid.
  • 1980 Wal Pro 2E - my first love, my pension plan, my most prized possession.
  • Jaydee Roadie 1 fretless - my first fretless bass. Very lovely instrument, I fitted an EMG pickup after the original died, and a Hollis preamp. Last seen in @doctor_of_the_bass's hands, I believe he moved it on too. 
  • Squier HM-5 5-string - my first 5-string. A good introduction but not exactly inspiring. Gave it away after I got the...
  • Maison 5-string (Bass Maniac/Bass Collection clone) - ...which I bought in Jakarta while I was on a business trip out there. Back when it was dead easy to take instruments onto planes. An excellent instrument, punched well above its budget weight.
  • Tobias Pro 6-string - beautiful instrument, completely hamstrung by its weedy, pathetic pickups and feeble EQ. I fitted a new preamp but it desperately needed pickups... a set of EMG-45Ps would have brought it alive but I just couldn't afford them. Sold it to @brycebites, he hasn't been here for quite some time alas.
  • Yamaha RBX765A 5-string - bought on the spur of the moment... it was red, and I fancied another red bass to go with the Wal and the Tobias, plus I needed a 5-string. Jon Shuker defretted the neck for me and it made a really great fretless. @Witters has it now.
  • Sei Flamboyant 5-string - oh god it was beautiful... I just couldn't get it set up though, and rather than give it it to a tech who knew what he was doing I just sold it in a fit of pique. I frequently kick myself for letting this go.
  • Overwater short-scale (in bits, long-term restomod project) - back in the 80s, Overwater made a bunch of guitars and basses for school music programs, and this was one of them. 32" scale, mahogany with set neck, single pickup. Once I finally get some gig money coming in, I'm hoping to get @Andyjr1515 to work his magic on it.
  • Status Series 1 'thru neck' 5-string - saw this at a really good price and couldn't resist. What a fantastic instrument. I replaced the rusty black bridge with gold single bridge pieces, and also fitted gold tuners & knobs while I was about it. They looked brilliant with the quilted maple top.
  • Squier Jazz - great neck (see Bitsa P below), nasty plywood body. Did the job for a while.
  • Shuker custom 5-string - I'll let the picture speak for itself... :x
  • Ibanez BTB406QM 6-string - having sold the Toby some years previously, I fancied a 6-string just to noodle about with at home and when this came up stupidly cheap I snapped it up. It's really scruffy cosmetically, but plays and sounds fine.
  • Sire V7 ash 5-string - loved the look of these the moment I saw them, and grabbed one immediately. That was 2015 and it's been my go-to gig bass ever since.
  • Tanglewood TRB-CE 'Rosewood Reserve' acoustic - a surprise birthday gift, and what a surprise. One of the few times I have been utterly lost for words.
  • Harley Benton JB-20 (in bits) - one of the infamous 'deko' basses, cost me 20 quid. Unfortunately, unlike many people I really DID get an unplayable one :lol: the neck had a sizeable hump in it. Still on the lookout for a replacement neck.
  • OLP Stingray - really fancied a 'Ray, was looking out for an OLP or a Vintage on fleaBay and this came up at a good price. Turned out that the neck was a real Louisville Slugger, not to my liking. However... see 'JayRay' below...
  • Bitsa P bass - the neck for my old Squier Jazz mated with a no-name body bought off fleaBay for 20 quid. Scratched my P bass itch very nicely! I have since fitted the original pickup from the OLP 'Ray.
  • 'JayRay' fretless - on a whim, bought this lovely Jaydee fretless neck from @greenolive and mated it with the body of my OLP 'Ray. The results are better than I could possibly have hoped for. EMG-HZ pickup, one of these days I might get round to fitting actives... a 3-band with sweepable mid would be ideal, for my money it's the best type of EQ for a fretless. Really lets you home in on the mwah.
  • Westone Thunder 1-A - very gratefully took this off @Moos3h's hands a couple of years back. I've had a soft spot for these ever since Rockschool! 👍 and it's great to have one finally. As a P bass, it totally and comprehensively blows my bitsa P out of the water. And it's red! :D I've fitted gold tuners, because it looked daft with chrome tuners and a brass bridge & knobs. I wanted the collar to match the cuffs, as it were. An absolute keeper.
  • 'don't call me SkaBass' bitsa J bass - had an old J copy hanging around for yonks, finally got round to doing something with it. one of you folks - I forget who - gave me the idea for a 2-tone theme which, given that I'm in a ska band, was absolutely perfect. The results aren't luthier-quality, but I don't care. It's all my own work and looks & sounds the business 😎

The only things I really really really want to add to this list are:

• Wal Mk3 fretted 5-string
  • 1965 Fender Jazz, CAR, matching h/stock

group.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 5

Some amazing basses in these lists!

This is all of my electric basses since I started in 1998, the two I now longer have were (a) my first bass and (b) a touring back up bass I never used. 

I would love a Warwick Thumb 6 or  Spector Forte 6 but I think that the basses below will be 'it' for the foreseeable:

Westfield P Bass copy - 1998 (gifted to nephew 2016) - basic, solid, starter bass.
1979ish S9 Fender Precision - 1999 - solid workhorse bass from 1999-2009. Awesome neck profile. Lacquer on the neck is now coming off. Still gigged now and then.
1974 Gibson EB3 - 2000 - bought while in a Jack Bruce/Andy Fraser phase. Crap intonation until I bought a Babicz replacement bridge last year which finally solved the issues!
Vigier Excess - 2004 - Insanely 'hot' the pickups and electronics which can be hard to tame. I actually appreciate the bass more now than I did when I first got it. 

Squier Affinity Jazz  - 2008 - (sold 2016) - Cheap back up bass. It was perfectly fine when I demoed it in the shop. I never actually played it after that but it travelled to nearly all my gigs! 
Sadowsky Metro MV4 - 2009 - my 'new' workhorse bass since 2009. Sits perfectly between my 'vintage' Precision and the 'modern' Excess above. 
Vigier Arpege Five string - 2011 - Very modern tone. Is bolt on rather than neck thru. Top notch build quality. More 'polite' and 'polished' tone than the Excess but the EQ can change that.
Sadowsky NYC 5 string - 2016 - My 'go to' home practice bass. Not gigged it yet as I don't fancy bringing it to a stoner rock gig with bodies and beer flying everywhere!

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 1

While it looks bad, I started in 1989 so this is 31 years of shenanigans which, in my mind, makes it look like a semi-reasonable number to work through. Most have been moved on. In roughly chronological order... and with apologies to your broadband... (all but the first two are the actual instruments, those two pics were found on a quick image search today)

Aria Pro II XRB-2 - First bass, bought in 1989. Butchered it as I learned how to do setups, electrical work, added pickups, made fretless. Sounded nice though.
01.jpg

Aria Pro II Laser Electric Heritage - 86-87, ish I think. Nice bass. Meaty.
02.jpg

ESP 400 Series - 89, they think. I love this bass. Still the one by which all others are judged.
03.jpg

Rickenbacker 4003 - 92. Saved for a long time for this. Loved it, especially the sound, but was just an uncomfortable bugger to play. Still miss it though.
04.jpg

Squier Precision - mid-90's. Cheap second hand purchase for a specific band. Sounded great.
05.jpg

Ibanez SR3006E Prestige - 2003, I think. Always wanted an SR, went with a 6er for some reason. Lovely bass but more than I could handle at the time.
06.jpg

Fender Japan 62 RI Fretless - 2004, I think. Lovely bass, imported it from Japan.
07.jpg

Hotwire Custom 5 - Custom made with Q-Tuners and a Noll pre. Never liked the neck. Eventually found the sweet spot with a Warmoth neck and East Filter pre-amp in it.
08.jpg

Bacchus 04 Standard 5 - The best 5er I have ever played. Brilliant instrument.
09.jpg

Lakland 55-02 - I never really felt I got the best out of this. Would love to try another one, or perhaps a 44-02 instead.
10.jpg

Bacchus Venus 5 - Lovely bass but couldn't get on with the slab body.
11.jpg

Fender Jazz - 77. Weighed a ton and worth far more in cash than as an instrument.
12.jpg

EBMM Stingray 3EQ - Early 00's, IIRC. My first Ray. Really nice but sold on when I got the Godlyke 4
13-1.jpg

Aria Pro II SB-R80 - 83. Great bass but couldn't get past the dead coils. The replacement Armstrongs didn't sound the same.

13a.jpg

Sadowsky M4 - Early 00's. I don't know why I moved this on and miss it. Great instrument.
14.jpg

Bacchus Woodline P Classic 07 - Loved it but separating from the missus proved very expensive so it was one of many which were sacrificed to raise solicitor cash.
15.jpg

Godlyke Disciple 5 - 2005ish, I think. Lovely neck but never got it to sound the way I wanted.
16.jpg

Godlyke Disciple 4 - A few numbers away from the one above. Came stock with Barts. Lovely neck, sweet tone, still have it.
17.jpg

King Billy - Home made bitsa. I'm in the process of putting a MM in place of the P
18.jpg

Warwick Streamer LX - 01 I think, great tone, huge neck.
19.jpg

Fender Japan Mustang - 07.  I'm 6'3". Byeeee.
20.jpg

Bacchus 24 05 - Super light, plays wonderfully. Great bass.
21.jpg

G&L L2000 - It's an 81 SB1 neck on an early 90's L2k body. Massive sound.
22.jpg

Warwick Streamer S1 - 91. Bought in a dreadful state and I restored it. Love it still.
23.jpg

Ibanez SR1300PM - 94, I think. Lovely but the wenge neck was too skinny for me.
24.jpg

Peavey Rudy Sarzo - 89. Always wanted to try one but never bonded with it.
25.jpg

Warwick Streamer LX JazzMan FL - 05. Ovangkol neck, ebony board which was lined before I got it.
26.jpg

Status S3000 - 91ish. Bought from an Elvis impersonator in poor condition - both Elvis and the bass. Flat backed D neck.
27.jpg

Mayones BE4 - late 90's, I think. Schaller hardware and MEC electronics. Basically a Warwick and sounded like it.
28.jpg

Fender Japan Geddy Lee Jazz - Mid 00's, I think. Nice bass but you're no ESP.
28a.jpg

Aria Pro II SB600 - 1979 bolt-on with a dead coil. Swiftly moved on.

29a.jpg

Ibanez SR800LE - 89. Always wanted one of these. Insanely good basses for the money.
29.jpg

Alembic Orion - 04. My friends call it El Presidente. Nuff said.
30.jpg

EBMM Stingray 2EQ - 96.Battered but a superb player. Lost to the separation cull.
31.jpg

G&L L1000 - 1980 3 digit serial, beast sounds out of it. Culled. I'm starting to cry.
32.jpg

Charvel JP - 1990. Bought as a fretless. Resto job. Really nice bass.
33.jpg

G&L El Toro - 85. Nice, but another cull victim.
34.jpg

PRS EB 4 - 01 Loved this bass. They're massively underappreciated. Missed it a lot.
35.jpg

Ibanez Roadster RS924 - 1980. Heavy, but sounded great. There's no mystery why this lot were killing Fender at the time.
36.jpg

Yamaha BB1100S - 85. It has been in the wars but came through it. You know the score with these basses.
38.jpg

Jackson Kip Winger - 91. Crazy shape, high quality, could barely give it away when I needed the cash.
39.jpg

Ibanez SR1000E - 89 Great basses.
40.jpg

GMR Bassforce - Really nice bass, very slim neck.
41.jpg

Yamaha TRB6 - 95. Bought at a price I couldn't refuse. Neck is as wide as a motorway. Built to last.
42.jpg

Bacchus Grooveline - 04. Another repair job. As Stingrayish as you can find with a J sized neck
43.jpg

Ibanez SB900 - 91. Slim body, fast neck, means business.
44.jpg

ESP Horizon - mid 80's. Dusty Hill vibe.
45.jpg

Aria IGB-CST - 91 Billy Gould model. Massive high output pickups.
46.jpg

Yamaha BEX4 - Bought on a whim but surprised by how good it is.
47.jpg

Bass Collection SB311 - Always wanted to try one. Far better than their prices suggest.
48.jpg

Hotwire Force Pro - Alumitones bring thunder.
49.jpg

Blade B4 - 91. Recent addition. Lovely, lovely instrument.
50.jpg

PRS EB 4 - 01. Missed the old one. This one's a little plainer but it delivers.
51.jpg

Hamer Chaparral - 90. This is a great bass, lovely neck.
52.jpg

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 9

78 P trans wine red bought new ( kinda wish I still had it, nice weight and pretty)

81 Aria pro 2 900 bought new  (boat anchor, narrow board)

76 MM Stingray bought used in 1980  (boat anchor)

Then, a fifteen year break from it all, goodness knows I needed it...then 

Mex P bass bought new in 2004  (the renaissance begins)

75 P bought in 2006  (natural ash .very nice P bass , huge neck)

70 s/b P bought 2011   (heavy, with a super powerful A string and a E string dead as a dodo, i literally pulled it apart but no joy)

RW J bass  (feather light, punchy and real nice should never have sold it)

All gone and now left with:

Two VM Squire P's bought recently (will never sell either, one in particular is the best instrument I have ever owned, light weight and punchy with those SD PU's.)

Edited by greavesbass
add info
  • Like 1

Mine has been relatively modest, given that it starts around 1993. Those in bold are still with me.

Ibanez Rickenbacker copy
-My first bass, it had been badly repaired and resprayed, and I only got a couple of years out of it before it folded in half.

Hohner fretless Jazz copy
-Played through most of my teens, the pickups were microphonic and I never got the neck relief right, so it wasn't great.

Aria TSB550 fretless
-A considerable upgrade from the Hohner. I saw my old bass for sale recently, now refretted, and I was tempted

Self built 4 string (using hardware from the Ibanez)
-Built in my parents' shed when I was 18, tweaked and refined a few times since then. Still going but weighs a ton

DeArmond Ashbory
-Fun but just too tiny

Fender Highway One Jazz
-Sold when moving house, wish I hadn't

Cheap P copy modified to 8 string
-Got some good use for a couple of years, but the neck couldn't take the tension long-term

Self built 5 string
-My current go-to electric bass

Harley Benton acoustic bass.
-Felt a bit pointless with a double bass around

And double basses/uprights;

Kay double bass (long-term loan)
-Nice bass, but I wasn't keen on the gut strings it wore.

Bassix electric upright
-Gigged this a lot, though it never played all that well

Blonde Chinese plywood double bass
-Functional, though I didn't love it

Old German double bass 1
-Lovely sounding bass, needed a bit more work than I wanted to put in

Old German double bass 2
-Slightly bigger than the previous one, in better structural health though scruffy, will probably be with me for life.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

54 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

While it looks bad, I started in 1989 so this is 31 years of shenanigans which, in my mind, makes it look like a semi-reasonable number to work through. Most have been moved on. In roughly chronological order... and with apologies to your broadband... (all but the first two are the actual instruments, those two pics were found on a quick image search today)

Status S3000    
27.jpg

GMR Bassforce    
41.jpg

Those two are rubbish. Give them to me, I'll dispose of them for you. ;) 

• Haha 2

Mine hasn't changed in 5 or 6 years and I'm struggling to remember some but I do remember taking full advantage of the pre recession exchange rate when the US dollar was worth 50p and international shipping was half the cost.

Sierra Precision - hated the ply body. 

Westone Spectrum II - hated the ply body.

Jaydee Supernatural Mark King (which was my only bass for 12 years) - great bass, only sold it because I got an offer too good to refuse.  Still hanker after a Jaydee some days.

Jaydee Custom jazz - I assembled the parts and gave them to John to make a body from.  Unfortunately the Moses graphite jazz neck flopped about too much.

Warwick Streamer Rock Bass - surprisingly great bass.  Pine body.

Status Groove 5 string - also great bass.  Very growly.

Ken Smith BSR5GN - my first halo instrument, loved it although perhaps not the best for stage work as it was a bit mid scoopy.  

Pedulla Pentabuzz - a keeper, loads of mwah.  The best wooden neck I've ever played - action is ridiculously low.  

Modulus Sonic Hammer - I sometimes miss this bass.  It was really playable but it was highly aggressive sounding too.  Growly though.

Ken Smith BSR6GN - I wanted to channel John Patitucci.  I failed.  I could have rented the fingerboard out to Heathrow as a third runway.

Ken Smith BSR5GN fretless - because I wanted a twin for the fretted.  Sold to Randy Hope Taylor who promptly had Martin Petersen slap frets on it.

Musicman Stingray (78) - had a mutilated Warwick Thumb shaped body with some goddawful sexist sci fi fantasy art airbrushed on the front. I managed to find a road rashed replacement body from the same year and I still have it.

Musicman Stingray (status neck) - probably my only real example of sellers regret.  Not quite as growly as the Modulus, not quite as warm as a Cutlass but a practical alternative to either.

Alembic Series 1 (graphite) - still have it.  Bought from the bass player in legendary Canadian band Spirit of the West.

Musicman Cutlass 1 - neck like a banana, sold it eventually after talking to Rob Green.

Alembic Elan 6 - heaviest bass I've ever owned, very dark sounding also.  

Modulus Quantum 5 Sweetspot - really brittle sounding, maybe because the neck was too rigid.

Modulus Quantum 5 Sweetspot fretless - neck like a banana, had Rob Green plane it and I sold it on.  Bartolini pickup was a great match though.

Pedulla MVP5 - as a twin for the Pentabuzz, but the sound wasn't quite right for live work.

Celinder J Update (the Skarbee bass) - nice but a tad aggressive sounding compared to my fave Celinders. It was on a recording though.

Celinder J Update (96) - early model, warmer than the Skarbee but had a weird Les Paul pot arrangement.  Came from a danish session player.  Sold to thin the herd ahead of emigrating.

Celinder P Classic - great bass but I just didn't use it apart from in a demo vid for my band at the time.

Musicman Cutlass I - bought from the US, ex Cliff Williams.  Neck like a banana. 

Musicman Cutlass II - bought off Ebay for a steal.  Neck like a banana.

Spector Euro 6 - ex-Sound Control bargain, I used it on stage for a year to force myself to get used to 6 strings in anticipation of the Shuker arriving but gave up eventually.

Shuker Headless 6 - great bass, superb workmanship, but @Dood's headless 6-er is more my thing.  Don't you just hate it when that happens?  Still have it.

Spector NS5CR (tobacco sunburst) - lovely sounding bass, really thick neck which I liked.  Only sold it as I needed to thin the herd down.

Spector NS5CR (natural) - still own it, a bit of a BC ho bass.  Neck needs some attention (one day) but sounds growly just like the Smiths but with more midrange and therefore much better for stage work.

Steinberger XL25A - a surprisingly fantastic sounding bass - really warm and deep.  But I couldn't get on with the 13mm string spacing or the ergonomics.  If only they'd made a through neck full body model...

Pangborn Warlord (graphite neck) - still have it, is being restored currently 

Fender Jazz (1978) - it was pretty average...boring even.  But it looked nice next to my preEB Stingray from the same year.

Status Series 1 (graphite thru neck) - still own it, I like it more every year.  Very playable, very well made.  Sometimes it can sound like my Alembic Series 1.  Really want to change the electronics to control the mids and low end.  Dual band comp on it sounds great and tames the highs in a way that the eq doesn't.

Self build headless 5 string with graphite neck - ergonomically flawed body designed by myself, but it sounds really good.  If I could, I'd remake the body and probably add an extra soapbar closer to the neck.

Chinese made 5 string - the atrocity that shall not be named, out of respect for the trees that died for it.

GAS list:  Vigier Passion V string (so long as the neck is straight), Hagstrom Super Swede for those Rutger Gunnarsson moments,  early 90's Status Series II 5 string for those Britpop moments,  Celinder J Update 5 string (in blue w/ birdseye maple neck), 1982 Gibson Ripper, Industrial Radio Pro 5

• Like 3

I'll play;

*Westone Raider One- my first bass

Columbus Series 2 jazz fretless- truly awful, I still have the neck for "home defence"

*1996 Vigier Passion series3 standard V- The bug had bitten at this point. Amazed that I bought such a superb instrument that's grown with me with so little knowledge (and ability!)

1997 Warwick Streamer LX VI- My first Six. Bought it instead of a Ken Smith. Good bass, but should've gone for the Smith.

1990 Musicman Stingray V fretless- really well made,  but I ran it EADGC with rounds when it should've been BEADG with flats. 

Ovation Celebrity IV- Acoustic with a piezo and preamp. Suffered the limitations common to all Acoustic basses.

Ibanez SRX700- Fast and easy to play. My main gigging bass for many years.Not the most sophisticated tone. Didn't like the pickups. 

Iceni Zoot Chaser prototype- super punchy (East preamp & Duncan MM) Neck wandered a bit!

*Hohner B2a V- I revisit this occasionally,  and it's always better than I remember it being.

Yamaha Attitude 10th Anniversary Billy Sheehan signature- Monster instrument, brilliantly well-made, but ultimately it made me sound dull. I couldn't get it to "sing"

2004 S1 USA Fender Jazz- nice but it had to go when downsizing due to divorce.

Ibanez EDB 600- bought for £80. I loved this. Then it fell off the sofa and the body cracked in half...

*2002 Warwick Infinity SN IV- Pretty, chambered Zebrano body. Can sound like a right little hooligan when you dig in. Played arguably my best gigs with this. Maybe that's a coincidence,  maybe not...

Status Streamline IV- 🙄 Not a good experience. Left under a dark cloud at a huge loss. 

*1997 Warwick Fortress MasterMan V- Ugly. Crazy. One MM pick-up. 2x2 band EQ (one per coil) balances and plays superbly. 

*Ibanez EDB 605- Replacement for the broken EDB600. I love this one, too.

*NS Design CR5 upright- A fix for the fretless itch. Big, deep voice. Nice and compact. Don't use it enough

*2003 10 string Chapman Stick- Weird but good. Oh, the tone of the thing! Difficult to master. Makes you wear your trousers like Simon Cowell because of the need for a belt.

Those marked * are still in my possession. 

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Modulus Sonic Hammer - I sometimes miss this bass.  It was really playable but it was highly aggressive sounding too.

You could say that... wasn't this the bass that made a shelf fall off my garage wall? :lol: 

48 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Ken Smith BSR5GN - my first halo instrument, loved it although perhaps not the best for stage work

Oh yes, I remember this one. Played it at a Destroyers gig and fell head over heels in love with it. Beautiful thing.

EDIT: here 'tis.

mesmithsherston2004.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cetera said:

@Doctor J - Love the King Billy, Jackson Winger, Peavey Sarzo, Ibanez SB900 & Hamer Chaparral! I know you still have the Hamer, but do you have any of the others anymore?

Of those, the Winger and Sarzo are gone. The Winger was the UK model with Reflex pickups and I could never get a sound I liked out of it. It was a nice player, though, comfortable and very light, and I flipped a coin between replacing the pickups and electronics or moving it on.

King Billy is currently getting pickup transplant. I have a coil tappable EMG MM pickup which will go in instead of the P. I'm mulling around the idea of putting the P in closer to the neck. It's a great player, though, and I'd hate to butcher it. One must know when to stop.

• Like 1