Why become a member? ×

Rickysounds.co.uk bank transfer?

THISISDINOSAUR

9 minutes ago, THISISDINOSAUR said:

I'm looking to buy a 4003 Rickenbacker. Rickysounds.co.uk has one that I like the look of, but for some reason they only seem to let you pay by bank transfer on large purchases. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that, has anyone done this with them before?

Haven’t bought a bass off them but have bought some bits and pieces. 

Just now, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

It seems odd that when you go to check out (I just tried it) that they advertise Apple Pay, PayPal and Visa and other CC's, but you can't pay with them. Have they refused to accept a credit card?

I'm not sure. I experimented a little, and they let you pay with those things for small purchases, but not for a bass

Just now, THISISDINOSAUR said:

I'm not sure. I experimented a little, and they let you pay with those things for small purchases, but not for a bass

Mmm. As @4000 said, I have bought from them before, but nothing significant. I would imagine it has something to do with what they get charged for CC transactions and that it's a % of the sale. Possibly?

• Like 2

I know nothing about the company, but as others have alluded to - I suspect the reason is that the reason is that card fees for a small business can be  expensive.

However, I'd personally be reluctant to pay for anything of value via bank transfer and always prefer a credit card due to the added protections it offers. Bless American Express for refunding about £700 worth of cancelled flights that Ryanair said they'd could only do once COVID was over!

7 hours ago, geoham said:

I suspect the reason is that the reason is that card fees for a small business can be  expensive.

It's possible to negotiate good rates for both credit and debit card sales just by some shopping around... AmEx is always expensive though!

I'm always amazed when I hear of businesses paying 2-3% for visa/mastercard transactions - just means they've stuck with an old and over-priced merchant-services provider... (Saying that, there's some to avoid due to both high fees and horrific contracts)

Card fees used to be a problem for small retailers because they hit the profit margins on low ticket items disproportionately hard, hence the reason that a lot of small corner shops used to have a £5 minimum card payment limit.

But these days card fees are much lower, the shop I volunteer at will take card payments for 50p newspapers.

And even if as a business you were saddled with a high % card charge for whatever reason, surely on a £2500  bass you'd just pass that on to the customer.

Edited by Cato

14 minutes ago, THISISDINOSAUR said:

I emailed him last night and he was super prompt. The answer was the card fees.

He seemed nice, and I ended up ordering
I'll find out tomorrow if I made a terrible mistake 😂

I'm looking forward to the pictures already!! 

I've used them a few times for parts and they are very well respected. He's not going anywhere so I would be surprised if he would try and rip a customer off. All the Rickenbacker Facebook pages rave about him. As said, I suspect as a small business he's looking to avoid fees.

15 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

It's possible to negotiate good rates for both credit and debit card sales just by some shopping around... AmEx is always expensive though!

I'm always amazed when I hear of businesses paying 2-3% for visa/mastercard transactions - just means they've stuck with an old and over-priced merchant-services provider... (Saying that, there's some to avoid due to both high fees and horrific contracts)

Amex is certainly a bit of an enigma. (Apologies for the slight tangent...)

My understanding is that they can charge higher fees as they avoid regulation of interchange fees due to them acting as both the issuer and aquirer.

I use one of their cashback cards, and am due around £160 in cashback in the next few weeks, earned over the course of a year.  I've paid no fees or interest for this. So presumably this is all passed on to retailers via higher fees - which I guess is the reason why plenty of businesses don't accept it. This even goes for some larger businesses like Game and TK Maxx. 

They've run a 'Shop Small' promotion a few times, where if you spend £10 at a small business, you get £5 back. I originally thought the small business would be eating this cost - but after chatting to a friend who runs a business, they just pay their usual fees. I found it quite surprising - it seems like a genuine attempt to support smaller businesses. (Although the cynic in me would suggust they are trying to increase their penetration in the small business market)

Anyway.. back on topic now. It seems this is a reputatble business, and I hope the OP enjoys his new purchase!