Why become a member? ×

Barefaced differences

la bam

Just now, Reggaebass said:

Not knowing much about ohms and things, would the maths work with a BF big baby 2 and a 100w valve amp, ie would it drive it ok 

You're very welcome to pop over and try one out with mine, any time.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Not knowing much about ohms and things, would the maths work with a BF big baby 2 and a 100w valve amp, ie would it drive it ok 

Some valve amps don't drive all out into 8ohm loads without burning up valves and toasting transformers.

BB2 isn't terribly sensitive to watts. Taking a buttload of power and getting very loud is a different ball game.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

BB2 isn't terribly sensitive to watts. Taking a buttload of power and getting very loud is a different ball game

Perhaps I should have said, it would be mainly used for home use and at low to medium volume really 🙂, but I would probably use it with my RM 500 if I was playing somewhere 

7 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Can you expand on that at all, DUW? It's not something I've come across before- not that I often crank an amp, but if I do it will be into an 8ohm load!

If it has multiple taps and they are labeled 4 and 2 ohm then it will be stressed driving 8 ohms.

The transformer takes the humungous voltage of the output tubes at low current down to speaker level voltage with much higher current. Putting a higher than expected impedance onto the speaker side of the transformer stuffs up the balancing act.

I believe the tubes wind up operating a higher than desirable voltage on that side of the transformer.

Just a quick update, this is now in my bass room ,and my sceptical thoughts about a 12 not being able to put out enough low end for me has been absolutely blown out the window, the big baby 2 is a beast, really deep clean lows and the V4-B sounds superb through it 

C72F14B4-BC7E-42B5-AEE0-1767416A112B.jpeg

1B80C072-7291-4984-BF5B-083D2333E51D.jpeg

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Question time 😁, as above I use a bb2 which is 8 ohms, which I plug straight into the 8 ohm outlet on the V 4B, I’m thinking of adding a barefaced 2x10s , which is switchable to 4 or 12 ohms, my question is would I just switch the 2x10 to 4 and with an extra lead plug it into the 4 ohm socket on the amp , here’s the spec on the amp, cheers 

D9943F45-CDE2-4003-981C-6C0B28E81300.jpeg

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Question time 😁, as above I use a bb2 which is 8 ohms, which I plug straight into the 8 ohm outlet on the V 4B, I’m thinking of adding a barefaced 2x10s , which is switchable to 4 or 12 ohms, my question is would I just switch the 2x10 to 4 and with an extra lead plug it into the 4 ohm socket on the amp , here’s the spec on the amp, cheers 

No, you shouldn’t mix them like that. 

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Generally tube amps are happy with slightly less impedance for the tap, but when it is more they can get hot.

I think it would probably be ok at 12 ohm parallel with BB2 for net 4.8ohm on the 4 ohm tap.  Not sure that 8+4 》 2.6 ohm on the 4 ohm is still in the happy zone.

Mixing cabs is always a gamble that the blended tone works.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I added a Super Midget to my BB2.  The sound is fantastic but, if I'm honest, either on of the cabs is enough for most gigs.

This combination is really useful because you effectively have three rigs to choose from.  The SM is very capable on its own too. (I have a pair of one10s as well but I prefer the sound from the 12" equipped cabs.)

Frank.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m back on my barefaced journey 😁, and I’m considering the two10S again, would you say the two10 is a lot warmer sounding than the BB2 which I have 

I sold both my Two10s and bought a BB2 to go with my SM.

IMO the sound of the BB2 is bigger and fuller with a wider tonal palette. If you put a warm sound into a BF 112 you'll get a warm sound out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I sold both my Two10s and bought a BB2 to go with my SM.

IMO the sound of the BB2 is bigger and fuller with a wider tonal palette. If you put a warm sound into a BF 112 you'll get a warm sound out.

Thanks Chris, it’s not a bad sound by far, in fact it’s very deep and clear but sometimes just a bit too clean if that makes sense,  maybe I just need to experiment a bit more with it 

14 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m back on my barefaced journey 😁, and I’m considering the two10S again, would you say the two10 is a lot warmer sounding than the BB2 which I have 

As posted above, I have a pair of one10s and a BB2, plus a Super Midget.  I find the BB2 and the SM to be much warming sounding than the one10s.  The one10s are amazing little cabs but I much prefer the range of sounds available from the BB2 and SM.  I'm not so keen on the "old school" break up sound of the one10s.

Frank.

• Like 2

I had the SuperTwin before the Two10s but found them too transparent for my taste, so I moved to Two10s and immediately found them to have more character.  I would say that Two10s are best with tubes - they just sing with them.  I found with SS/class d amps tend to become too woolly through them.  But I do think they definitely go beyond this notion old school.  Jah Wobble and Tim Commerford use them and I personally don't consider these players 'old school'.  

Ultimately, I don't think it is a fair test to compare 12s with 10s, it's like a night and day comparison.  Both are fabulous amps, just depends as ever on your tone goals.  

The only way you will truly know is by trying one out - ask any two BCs here and you'll get a different opinion ;-).  Even if you buy one used you'll get your money back as they are very popular cabs.

Edited by Sarlscharisma
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1