Why become a member? ×

Barefaced differences

la bam

@chris_b That's exactly my thought! If I wanted, I even might resell both in a few weeks, at this price point :) So, not much to loose...

@Al Krow I know that. I would love to get a BB2 but if I consider the price of a new BB2 + Customs' fees and VAT, it's getting very expensive. But I know it would offer all what I miss with the SM and it would soften the sound of the SM if combined. The pair SM + BB2 would be tremendous I know. But they're rare in the 2nd hand market :/

I'm not suggesting anything as fancy as a SM + BB2

Just a single BB2 instead of two SMs.

The cost should be less, but you won't get quite as big a sound from just one speaker as you will from two 12" speakers. 

It will, however, be very convenient! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Alex describes a SM as a mini BB2. 

Another alternative to two SMs might be a single BB2. 

I have a BB2 and a SM.  The BB2 is easily my favourite but the SM gets plenty of gigs on smaller pub stages.  They are both great cabs, with the BB2 having a bigger and deeper sound.

To the OP, if I was in your position I would buy the second SM.  The BB2 and SM have the same speaker, just with different size enclosures.  But I think a pair of SM would be everything you'd ever need.

EDIT. I had a pair of Gen 2 Midgets and that was a superb lightweight and compact rig.  A pair of SM would be even better.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, IvanBass456 said:

boosting the treble and bass as well as the VPF filter a lot

That's heavily scooped in the mids. Runs counter to getting a full rich sound in the midst of a band mix.

You won't be unhappy with a 2nd SM. To get proper happy you're going to have to EQ with your ears, with the band.

If the GK you're looking at has the usual GK scoop baked in you might like it with the knobs at noon. Actual neutral would be 10, 2, 1, 10 o'clock, bass to treble.

• Thanks 1

@Downunderwonder

I only scoop one of either the low mid or high mid freq, never the two of them ;) + the natural mid boost of the markbass amp and the aguilar pups on my Mayones makes the sound rather balanced and present in the mid frequencies in the end. 

@machineheadquick and affordable shot for a 2nd SM, or patience and savings for a BB2, that's the deal 🙂 I like my SM much but I really want to hear how that BB2 sounds ! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello BC'ers,

I've finally pulled the trigger for a 2nd hand BB2. On his own, it is a joy to hear it restitute all the sound spectrum from very low to very high freq. It is especially wonderful to hear through a 6 strings. it certainly gives a more soft and rounded tone than the Super Midget.
However, I'm not yet convinced of the pairing BB2 + SM. I find they are voiced quiet differently and it is even more obvious at practice volume. I guess I maybe should avoid engaging both the SM's tweeter and the BB2's HF, but rather 1 of them. The voicing of both cabs should compare more evenly at gig volume, I guess ^^

I'll come back later with a nurtured feedback about using them together :) 

I also have ordered a GK Legacy 800 but I find it is too powerful for my needs and hardly volume-manageable for practice XD I loved the tone, clarity and precision but I'm more likely to get a 2nd hand Fusion 500 watts for its warmer vibe and lesser power-handling. This legacy 800 will be returned unfortunately....

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I had the 210 and 410, as per their name they’re much warmer/softer sounding, less clinical than the Compacts/Midgets etc. You can add highs to them no problem but that sharp modern top end doesn’t come through as that’s not their game. 

• Thanks 1

Yes nice lows but again not the super modern type low lows that we hear now, more like the low end of say 70s & 80s bands, such as The Jam, Duran Duran, Wham etc, lows that were heard as well as felt. 

Edited by Lozz196
  • Thanks 1

Yep - Lozz is right on this.

I recently swapped out 2 x BF Big Baby for 2 x  One10's as I found the voicing better for my hard rock band.

The voicing is pretty much where I need it to be rather than having to 'find' it on the super transparent Big Baby.

Alex at BF says to think of them as two ranges with two voices, the clear and transparent 12XN Driver Range and the Retro 10CR Driver Range

Edited by bagsieblue
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m with @bagsieblue on this. I loved the Super Compact, it’s a bloody marvellous cab. But the Tens… there’s something about them which means my rig is now a pair of One10s and it slays all in its wake. Plenty of punch, low end thump, enough top end sparkle for my rock tastes. I now have. Glockenklang Blue Rock and its main EQ is set completely flat, just add the drive to suit, plus a tweak of the Voice control. Perfection.

• Like 2

On 16/09/2021 at 16:48, Reggaebass said:

Thanks, it was Alex that suggested the 2x10s to me, he said they were fat and warm sounding, I was just wondering if they would go deep enough for what I play, I’ve never had 10s before 

A well designed 10 loaded cab will have plenty of bottom end. At one point I scaled down my rig from a 4 x 10 plus 1 x 15 monster stack to single 2 x 10 cab (of much higher quality) and it was still plenty loud and deep enough for any conceivable pub/club gig with a suitable gutsy amp. EDIT: I say this as a 5-string player (low B) as well.

Edited by bassman7755
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bassman7755 said:

A well designed 10 loaded cab will have plenty of bottom end

Thanks for that bassman, I’ve only ever had 15s so I guess that I’m just a bit sceptical that they will give me the fatness and thickness I’m looking for, but I believe things have moved on since the big cab days, so I might try a 2x10S , as it’s mainly for home use at the moment  🙂

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks for that bassman, I’ve only ever had 15s so I guess that I’m just a bit sceptical that they will give me the fatness and thickness I’m looking for, but I believe things have moved on since the big cab days, so I might try a 2x10S , as it’s mainly for home use at the moment  🙂

The size of a driver bears no relation to the sound it makes. There are 10's that go lower than 15's, there are 12's that go higher than 10's. Then throw in the design of the cab to get an even wider range of frequencies.

Barefaced make exceedingly good cabs. I see you've already been speaking to Alex. I'd believe him. He operates a 30 day return, so if he gives bad advice, just to sell a cab, he knows it'll be coming straight back. He was spot on when I spoke to them about my cabs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bassman7755 said:

Your just going to have take a punt, Alex's recommendations are generally on the money and you've got a 30 day trial so...

I’ll probably try one used first before I buy a new one, there was a nice one on here a while back but I wasn’t looking then 🙂

• 3 weeks later...