Why become a member? ×

Barefaced differences

la bam

13 hours ago, IvanBass456 said:

I wouldn't combine a BB2 with another cab though, as I probably am thinking it's an overkill in 98% of the situations. 

Agreed - that would be my approach as well.

So the options that more and more retain my attention are the following ones:

1) SM + SC combination

2) Big Baby 2

100% with you on this also!

Now what would you say of the BB2 in terms of practicality?? In my idea it has to be elevated to get that optimal sound dispersion whether it is on stage or in rehearsal. Am I mistaken ?

The dispersion from the SC and BB2 are both outstanding - I've had both cabs, starting with the SC and then upgraded to the BB2 (which like you I bought used rather than new). The BB2 is fuller and sweeter sounding.

Hey Chris, have you tested the BB2 as well and could make a comparison between a BB2 and a SC+SM in terms of sound, frequency range, presence and tone??

Exactly the right question to the right person! :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, IvanBass456 said:

Nice  to have your experience Al Krow :) 

You see, the speaker is so low on the BB2 that it is hard to imagine it has the sound dispersing so well. But from many threads it is what I get to read, that the sound dispersion is very good :)

You could ask yourself, do people really know what good sound dispersion is?

If I told you that dispersion was good or bad on my cabs of choice, would you believe me? Should you believe me?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, IvanBass456 said:

Hey Chris, have you tested the BB2 as well and could make a comparison between a BB2 and a SC+SM in terms of sound, frequency range, presence and tone??

Hi Ivan, I only got in 2 gigs with the BB2 before the 1st lockdown so not much experience yet. I used the BB2+SM and compared to the SC+SM the sound was bigger in every direction. Lower, fuller, fatter, higher, but it's a bigger cab, so I guess that's to be expected. The B string was thunderous. I wouldn't use this rig for every band, the SC+SM has just the right flavour of "vintage" for me. I've used the SC+SM for a couple of years and didn't have a sensible reason to buy the BB2!! If I had to go back to 2 cabs I'd choose the SC+SM. they just sound so good together.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

You could ask yourself, do people really know what good sound dispersion is?

If I told you that dispersion was good or bad on my cabs of choice, would you believe me? Should you believe me?

Hi EBS, I guess I won't have any answer to that question before I answer it myself, and by testing the cabs in real situation. Of course :)

That's why I keep thinking that a 2x12 config will better disperse the sound than a single 1x12 cab. Now, I'm not surprised by Al Krow's reaction for the sound dispersion of the Super Compact; as it is made of a bigger box compared to a SM or other 12" single cabs. So a bigger box could explain that better sound dispersion to me without too much difficulty ;) Even if it has to be put into perspective, indeed

32 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Hi Ivan, I only got in 2 gigs with the BB2 before the 1st lockdown so not much experience yet. I used the BB2+SM and compared to the SC+SM the sound was bigger in every direction. Lower, fuller, fatter, higher, but it's a bigger cab, so I guess that's to be expected. The B string was thunderous. I wouldn't use this rig for every band, the SC+SM has just the right flavour of "vintage" for me. I've used the SC+SM for a couple of years and didn't have a sensible reason to buy the BB2!! If I had to go back to 2 cabs I'd choose the SC+SM. they just sound so good together.

From what you said, a BB2+SM combo just looks tremendous! I'm tempted now...

Let's chance do the trick, we'll see what the second hand market has to give...

I think I will be a happy bass player either way XD

oooh and I'll share my experience in a future post :)

See you guys!

2 minutes ago, IvanBass456 said:

That's why I keep thinking that a 2x12 config will better disperse the sound than a single 1x12 cab. Now, I'm not surprised by Al Krow's reaction for the sound dispersion of the Super Compact; as it is made of a bigger box compared to a SM or other 12" single cabs. So a bigger box could explain that better sound dispersion to me without too much difficulty ;) Even if it has to be put into perspective, indeed

Yep my SC had a dispersion that was notably wider / broader than the previous Markbass cab I had been using. There was a clarity of sound right across the width of venue stage area, which was just great.

• Thanks 1

@IvanBass456 Just to clarify - are you talking dispersion from a hearing yourself point of view (in which case, you are more interested in vertical dispersion), or from a width perspective. Vertical dispersion isn't that good with the cabs that are being mentioned - and as you have alluded to, vertical stacking to get the drivers closer to your ear may address some of the issues that you are describing.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

@IvanBass456 Just to clarify - are you talking dispersion from a hearing yourself point of view (in which case, you are more interested in vertical dispersion), or from a width perspective. Vertical dispersion isn't that good with the cabs that are being mentioned - and as you have alluded to, vertical stacking to get the drivers closer to your ear may address some of the issues that you are describing.

Ok that's interesting to note. And yeah I was talking from a hearing myself point of view ;) 

I'm not sure that I've that much to add, but I do have a BB2 and a SM.  Most of my gigs need only the BB2.  I never have any trouble hearing myself with the cab on the floor.  The SM is easily loud enough too for most of my gigs and although I could easily live with only a SM, I prefer the sound of the BB2. (Not that the SM sounds bad - far from it!)

I have combined the BB2 and SM on some gigs that were in larger spaces or outdoors.  The sound is immense and very pleasing to the ear. I can't imagine how anyone could need more than this.

I've never owned a SC so I can't offer any thoughts on that.

I like having the option of three rigs according to stage space and room size but the BB2 alone gets gigged the most.

Hopefully this adds to your decision process and good luck.

Frank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a lot of talking about modular and not modular, when you will need one or 2 cabs, vertical and width dispersion.

If you feel you need amp and cab for your situation and BF is your brand - get a Supertwin Gen 3

If you want a tweeter get a super 12T, or a big twin.

Honestly they are an absolute breeze to move around and are a pretty easy 1 hand lift and have wheels.

You will never worry about it it’s too much or too little or too dispersed, not close enough to your ear - it will do the job and is a no brainer.

If any doubt and you are better popping stuff through a good PA/FRFR,  it’s exactly as @EBS_freak says model your sound how you want with or without preamps, modellers, Effects units and bang it out through there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Cuzzie:  23lbs for their SM/SC ,  37lbs for the Super Twin, it's not quiet the same when moving it up the stairs :) But yeah the Super Twin the most lightweight 2x12 after the carbon fiber cabs from GR Bass.

So, a 2x12" cab is more than probably convenient for the most of us, but I personally like more mobility and modularity. I speak for for my back + my house has tight stairs...

• Like 2

Just now, IvanBass456 said:

@Cuzzie:  23lbs for their SM/SC ,  37lbs for the Super Twin, it's not quiet the same when moving it up the stairs :) But yeah the Super Twin the most lightweight 2x12 after the carbon fiber cabs from GR Bass.

So, a 2x12" cab is more than probably convenient for the most of us, but I personally like more mobility and modularity. I speak for for my back + my house has tight stairs...

I completely understand and you know your home/playing circumstances, physical status more than anyone.

Its not a deadlift as it’s higher off the ground, has wheels etc.

2 x 23lbs is 46 lbs so technically heavier, do you do it in 1 trip or 2 trips etc.

Easiest thing to do is take a day trip to Brighton with your rig if you can and compare when they are open which is not long.

@Cuzzie I get your point :) In my situation it will be less exhausting for the back to lift small cabs in 2 trips up and down the stairs. And it again offers the modularity to take one cab instead of two for small gigs. 

Lol I would love to take a trip to Brighton, but I'm living in Brussels ^^ There are here and there Bass nerds here in Belgium who own some outstanding bass material from the best brands, and then you go on trip with the car for an afternoon to test rigs and discuss with the reseller, whether it is for buying or not at the end.

I also check up the second hand market in the Netherlands, France and Germany as lightweight cabs remain "shippable" without too much risk from these countries to Belgium :)

• Like 1

Worth also bearing in mind that the ST = 2 x SC i.e. you don't get the upper freq. response of the SM, which I think you are keen on in terms of your pairing options.

I'm very similar to you in terms of stairs and wanting to protect my aging back etc. and for me the compromise was to settle on circa 30 lbs for a BB2 with padded cover.

Tbf dark alley, Cuzzie and me, there would only ever be one outcome...😁

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Worth also bearing in mind that the ST = 2 x SC i.e. you don't get the upper freq. response of the SM, which I think you are keen on in terms of your pairing options.

I'm very similar to you in terms of stairs and wanting to protect my aging back etc. and for me the compromise was to settle on circa 30 lbs for a BB2 with padded cover.

Tbf dark alley, Cuzzie and me, there would only ever be one outcome...😁

I would run away - you are quite scary

• Haha 2

I went for separate 112's because they represent the lightest lift. I also chose cloth grill fronts to shave off another couple of pounds. I would still have to carry a 212 up stairs, over gravel paths and muddy puddles which is why I never considered one.

I have a bad back but my legs are strong so I don't care how many trips it takes to the car as long as each trip is a light as I can make it.

BF cabs are efficient and very loud for their size. I can now do gigs with 1 cab, which is even better.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I up this thread as I'm still leaning towards a new cab to pair with my current single BF Super Midget. 
I'm more and more hyped by the recent Gallien Krueger Legacy amp (800w). I think this amp would offer a more hi-fi and trebly sound naturally than the Markbass Little Mark Tube I currently run. I tend to use this in a counter-natural manner, by boosting the treble and bass as well as the VPF filter a lot to get the usual sound I like.

The guy whom I have bought the Super Midget has a 2nd Super Midget! So I'm tempted to take a 2nd super midget in order to later pair it with the GK Legacy amp.

What do you think of this combination: GK Legacy S 800 + 2x Super Midget?
Would a 2nd Super Midget address the needs I mentioned before in this thread: presence, fullness, and a little more bass deepness and definition?
The 2 tweeters combination easily would deal with the GK treble and presence :) And the Rig would be awesomely portable!

Thanks for your insights!

Ivan

Doubling up on the same cab always sounds more full/more presence and with more bottom end. It’s positively grin inducing.
Agree re the GK, you’ll get crisper presence & hi-fi sounds with that than the Markbass.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

I hear here and there that the SM/SC pair is awesome, like you stated @chris_b 🙂

but I really love the tone of the SM and the fact that it has a tweeter and takes all the EQ you put in it, whether it is low or high frequencies... impressive ! My "cheap" Sire M7 6 strings sounds evenly frow the lowest B note to the highest C note, whatever the EQ falvour is, Bass/Treb or midrangy, awesome!

@Lozz196 I haven't had the chance to try the 2 SM together as the seller was willing to keep one a few months ago (now he's migrating to a full Mesa rig and getting rid of all the rest.) But what you're saying makes sense ! 😉

At 480 pounds and 10 miles away, I'm super tempted by this second Midget, even if I wanted to try the SC and BB2. That might be for later, I'm 32 years old only XD

One more question, how having 2 x 12" cabs will affect the need to EQ ??

With a single SM at low volume it requires, not extreme, but rather generous EQing when I want to model certain tones I like...

Two cabs will combine. The sound will enlarge and improve. If you added a second cab I'd be re EQing the rig. Changes will occur in your sound so it would be best to revisit the EQ. At £480 my suggestion is to buy the cab, gig/rehearse it a few times and make your mind up. You could easily sell it on BC if you decide you don't want to keep it.

Edited by chris_b
  • Thanks 1