Why become a member? ×

Barefaced differences

la bam

I haven't played any of the new new stuff, but I have had 5 Barefaced cabs so I'll give it a go.

The 10" models aim for a much more old school sound. The 10" speaker doesn't have a great deal of high highs or really low lows. They're still quite clean by olde worlde standards actually and they're not really 'vintage sounding' as such but they are in the ballpark. Ever cab apart from the 1x10" uses a low pass filter on one side of the speaker cabinet in an effort to combat some comb filtering issues with side by side drivers. 

As for the 12s, they're all a bit more modern sounding than the 10s. Very 'new', clean and punchy. If anything they kind of lack a little character, with the HF models getting pretty close (apparently) to being quite flat. The new 12s are my absolute favorite bass cabs. An FR800 (which is essentially a self-powered Big Baby II) covered any gig I ever asked it to do. The Midget aims to be as small as possible whilst still being giggable, so it's a little more mid-focused than the rest and somewhat barky. As for the others, it's a case of: do you want one speaker or two? And then do you want the (very nice, pa style) HF driver or not?

Edited by Jack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, la bam said:

Thanks. Do you know what the differences would be between the gen 2 and gen 3 12" twins?

They moved from using off the shelf (although very high end) PA drivers to their custom-designed drivers. I didn't really notice too much in terms of sound or output to be honest. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, la bam said:

Thanks. Do you know what the differences would be between the gen 2 and gen 3 12" twins?

In my experience I found the Gen 2 drivers more harsh/brittle sounding. The more customised drivers they have in Gen 3 sounded “rounder” and smoother if that makes sense?

Edited by Merton
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

As far as I know there's twins with compression drivers = super, and twins without = big.

Not quite.

The Super Twin is the Gen 3 2x12, no tweeter included.

The Big Twin 2 is a Gen 3 behemoth, the cab for the 12s is tuned lower (I think) and it has a compression driver. It’s designed to be a reasonably FRFR option in a passive cab.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

I'm wondering how I best should upgrade my current Barefaced rig being a single BF Super Midget 12". I run it through a Markbass LM Tube 500w which I'm quiet satisfied with.

I like the flatness, punchiness and accuracy of the BF SM, in addition to that veil of warmth given by the Markbass amp, the sound is just beautiful, punchy, clear, warm and... flat but EQable as long as you wish :)  I can tell I'm a happy BF user so far!

Nonetheless I feel I definitely need some more sound dispersion, presence and depth and precision in the low-end. I'm also a guy who likes clear and non-harsh highs as I'm soloing quiet a lot when playing alone :)
I'm fine with the SM's tweeter, it behaved quit nicely and gave a good sound on my 5strings Mayones Jazz Bass with new strings and less good sound on my Sire M7 6er and particularly the C string when playing the high notes, the sound was lass defined... and to be honest I don't know how better the HF driver one the BB2 is compared to the SM...

So, what would be your way-to-go to complement the BF SM and to have a very versatile, and portable gear ??? =>>> Super Compact or Big Baby 2 ?

Will the BF Super Midget yet be useful once I have a BB2 ? Are they complementary ?

I'm pretty sure the SC will be awesome when coupled with the SM because it seems to bring all what the SM lacks.
Or should I look at the BB2 because the highs are much better and it is the only way to get that deeper low-end ? I don't want it to be an overkill and if I can make my Super Midget a useful investment with a cab that is complementary, that's the way I would opt for.

Also, how would a BB2 sound and behave compared to a SM+SC combo ??

Your insights are appreciated, many thanks guys :)

BR,

Ivan

It may be wise to contact Alex directly and put this to him, he’s great at asking the right questions about your existing gear in order to recommend the right product. Often that may well be the less expensive option, which IMO is the sign of a good business and great customer service.

• Like 2

Hey Lozz,

Thanks for reacting quickly! I've got in touch with Alex recently and what he says is very common to the usual specs and things we can read in the different BF threads:
"Hi Ivan,

The Super Compact sounds like the SM with the tweeter off and bigger lows. The Big Baby 2 sounds like the SM with the tweeter up but clearer and nicer, with bigger and deeper lows. If you turn the HF control off on the BB2 it sounds like an SC but with added depth and tightness. Does that help?

High C strings are a bit of a sonic challenge on long scale basses. I have one on my 35" scale acoustic bass guitar and I only seem to use it when I can't get high enough up the neck on the other strings!

Best regards,
Alex"

So, I was eventually looking for "user experiences" more than statements about what a BF cab does better than another. There are so many comments where you can read these statements. I think Alex coudn't help better as buying a cab ideally requires a physical test more than any read or opinion. I do yet think that I would be satisfied by coupling the SM with a SC or a  BB2. 

But from your experiences with those cabs, is the Super Compact enough of an addition to the SM to bring life to get more presence and low-end, or is the BB2 your recommendation ??
SM + SC or BB2... both will be shockingly good but what would be your ideal combo and why ? :)

This is the way I should have asked it in since the beginning ^^

Regards,
Ivan

Well back in the Gen2 days the Midget & Compact paired very well together, so I think I’d be tempted to do SC & SM, given Alex’s comments about the SC having broadly the same sound, just with bigger lows/lack of tweeter. 

38 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

If I didn't already have a Big Twin II for my 'big guns', I'd probably be looking to add in a second Super Midget, myself. With a Markbass LMII one is incredibly capable for me, I think I'd be hard pushed to run out of the goods with two.

IME doubling a cab doesn't do much to deepen the low-end. It definitely adds in much for tone and presence but the I would put at least a SC in addition to feel more presence in the low spectrum. For the moment, I need to EQ the bass very much through the Super Midget if I don't play loud. So yeah, 2 SM isn't the solution IMO, I need a bigger cab to get more low-end.

@Freitmeister:   I've watched the vids already. It's good to make an opinion tonewise :) but it was interesting to hear once again how different the SC and BB2 sound! Maybe I should take the different tones both give into consideration...

43 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Well back in the Gen2 days the Midget & Compact paired very well together, so I think I’d be tempted to do SC & SM, given Alex’s comments about the SC having broadly the same sound, just with bigger lows/lack of tweeter. 

Yup I read chris_b claiming many times that the SC + SM is probably the most versatile, complementary and tone-achieving rig he has ever had. But this could be as well true for a SM + BB2 combination...

You know, I'll eventually check up what's coming in the second hand market within the 1 or 2 coming month. I'm giving some more time to the Super Midget to be tested with different basses on the high frequencies. If the tweeter does the job enough for my taste, I'll just add in a Super Compact. I just can't imagine how it couldn't be a great addition; and the SC is to find/buy at a reasonable price.

Otherwise I'll change my mind on the Super Midget, eventually resell it and go for a BB2.

Thanks guys, keep having fun and bass :)

Ivan

Hi Ivan

I'm not completely clear what you want but if I understand correctly you do not have problems with volume but rather you want a fuller low end and a more detailed top end.  If this is right I'd say you should think about a big baby 2, I'd probably sell the SM as the BB2 should be an improvement  all round unless you need the volume of 2 cabs.

• Thanks 1

Don't want to deralil the thread, but why don't you look at avoiding the issue of cabs by finding a FRFR solution. By eliminating the baked in sound of a cab, you can can control the specifics of what you like through a comprehensive pre/modeller?

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Thanks 1

Hi @IvanBass456, if you are happy with your sound through an SM, but feel the need to upgrade, the logical solution is to add a Super Compact. You will have a bigger low end and more punchy low mids and mids. You get 3 rigs from 2 cabs and they will all sound great with your amp.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Hi @IvanBass456, if you are happy with your sound through an SM, but feel the need to upgrade, the logical solution is to add a Super Compact. You will have a bigger low end and more punchy low mids and mids. You get 3 rigs from 2 cabs and they will all sound great with your amp.

Or possibly a BB2 to have everything in one box? Less flexibility than Chris's suggestion, obviously, but IMO not a bad one! 

I know a lot of folk don't seem to mind the fact that the SC and ST top out at 4kHz, but it partly explains why adding the SM gives the really good pairing Chris has found to give you access to the higher end frequency ranges.

The BB2 similarly goes right up into the treble range so you get the benefit of "bite" switch e.g. on a Tech 21 VT Bass DI and also on several amps at 6.5 kHz, and upper harmonics around the 10 kHz range for a bit more zing on slap bass, if that's your thing. The "bite" setting can often feel like removing a blanket from your cab and add that extra bit of presence to your sound.

• Thanks 1

Hey guys,

thx for your many responses to my questions. @Jus Lukin, I may agree with your explanation, it makes sens. But the addition of the SC would give an even more versatile and complementary rig. 

I wouldn't combine a BB2 with another cab though, as I probably am thinking it's an overkill in 98% of the situations. 

So the options that more and more retain my attention are the following ones:

1) SM + SC combination

2) Big Baby 2

Now what would you say of the BB2 in terms of practicality?? In my idea it has to be elevated to get that optimal sound dispersion whether it is on stage or in rehearsal. Am I mistaken ?
While the SM cab placed on the SC, both vertically, will give just the right speakers placement/configuraiton without needing a table or whatever furniture or support I may find.

This is something that makes me a little more in favour of the SC+SM combo as well.

Buy the way, not being sure, I'm likely to buy one in the second hand market. So this could be a BB2 or a SC, time will tell XD 
Having finally found a great cab brand for my taste, I'm likely to test all of their 12" (and 10") in the ocming years anyway :)

Thx again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tdw said:

Hi Ivan

I'm not completely clear what you want but if I understand correctly you do not have problems with volume but rather you want a fuller low end and a more detailed top end.  If this is right I'd say you should think about a big baby 2, I'd probably sell the SM as the BB2 should be an improvement  all round unless you need the volume of 2 cabs.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Hey Chris, have you tested the BB2 as well and could make a comparison between a BB2 and a SC+SM in terms of sound, frequency range, presence and tone??