Why become a member? ×

Shuker Build Course

geoham

When I took my bass back to Jon a few years ago to have some Delanos retro-fitted, I made a long weekend of it and stayed over at a B&B farm down the road -- I forget the name but it wasn't far from the Blue John caves. It was fabulous. Your plan sounds like a great idea, and just thinking about it makes me pretty jealous. :lol: 
Oh, and take plain Hobnobs rather than chocolate ones. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

When I took my bass back to Jon a few years ago to have some Delanos retro-fitted, I made a long weekend of it and stayed over at a B&B farm down the road -- I forget the name but it wasn't far from the Blue John caves. It was fabulous. Your plan sounds like a great idea, and just thinking about it makes me pretty jealous. :lol: 
Oh, and take plain Hobnobs rather than chocolate ones. 

I'll try and find that B&B and check it out. We're not entirely sure on accomodation yet, but we'll definitely need something as we're coming from Glasgow.

We may stay at one of the Landal resorts - I think there's two within a 30 minute drive. These are basically detached lodges with hot-tubs, with a restaurant, bar etc on site. The thinking is that if there are still some restrictions in place, then our partners have somewhere spacious where they can relax during the day and we can all enjoy in the evening. Although it is a tad expensive.

George

Edited by geoham

2 hours ago, geoham said:

I'll try and find that B&B and check it out. We're not entirely sure on accomodation yet, but we'll definitely need something as we're coming from Glasgow.

We may stay at one of the Landal resorts - I think there's two within a 30 minute drive. These are basically detached lodges with hot-tubs, with a restaurant, bar etc on site. The thinking is that if there are still some restrictions in place, then our partners have somewhere spacious where they can relax during the day and we can all enjoy in the evening. Although it is a tad expensive.

George

Jon gave me a list of local places to stay. I used a lovely B+B from the list. 

27 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

So do you start with two anonymous  blocks of wood (body and neck) or something that is already somewhat body/neck shaped?

Looking at other folk's pictures and comments relating to the use of band-saws, I assume you are cutting blocks of wood. Which slightly terrifies me!

• Like 1

I can only comment on my course which was 1-2-1, other formats may start elsewhere.

Yes, I literally started with 2 pieces of wood which I thicknessed and squared off an edge, joined and glued on cap. I then made a body template and neck template from plywood (which I still have) by drawing Jons template on the plywood and then cutting it all on a bandsaw. There then followed  finishing the edges to be smooth. That was day 1 . Here's a few photos of the first couple of steps. The plywood for the templates can be seen on photos 2 on the left handside under the the other wood and with pencil on the end.

CIMG0005.thumb.JPG.617775b54794f6738527b5e7a2640949.JPG

CIMG0004.thumb.JPG.b53956806b14a2a82b5d15aaf184de18.JPG

CIMG0003.JPG.86e005dbd7d40c45a16b5c9ae2777ca8.JPG

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Did this course 3 years ago now, took early retirement so treated myself.

I am hands on with most DIY,  and working with wood ?? but I had never used a router either so that was my main fear.

I did the 3 person course but it ended up with just two of us so was quite good for the individual attention we got during tricky bits.

Jon had two body blanks previously glued ready for us. You then have to apply template and draw your body shape onto that, e.g P bass or Jazz but nothing stopping you bringing your own template design along. then yes to the band saw then the bench to file the contours.

I wanted a 5 string reverse P bass with double pickups so there was an extra cost for the Pups. so you do have flexibility within the time restraints. I also requested body wood of Ash and padauk fingerboard, revers head stock

The other guy did a straight 4 string jazz. in Alder with RW board

It is pretty full on. we both stayed in the same B&B within walking distance. so 9 - 5 each day and Jon orders sandwich deliveries of your choice lunchtime and you can eat and work through etc.

Mine turned out better than i could have wished very please with the neck which was a concern as I am fussy.

I walked out with a playable bass so good result, cost wise course was then about £750 so with B&B extra pups evening meals in pub and fuel was about £1200.

But it is the learning experience you are paying for.  worth doing Great guys up there.

IMG_14091.jpg

IMG_13281.jpg

IMG_13381.jpg

IMG_13691.jpg

IMG_13911.jpg

IMG_13121.jpg

IMG_2798.JPG

• Like 2

21 hours ago, deepbass5 said:

Hi Guys

Did this course 3 years ago now, took early retirement so treated myself.

I am hands on with most DIY,  and working with wood ?? but I had never used a router either so that was my main fear.

I did the 3 person course but it ended up with just two of us so was quite good for the individual attention we got during tricky bits.

Jon had two body blanks previously glued ready for us. You then have to apply template and draw your body shape onto that, e.g P bass or Jazz but nothing stopping you bringing your own template design along. then yes to the band saw then the bench to file the contours.

I wanted a 5 string reverse P bass with double pickups so there was an extra cost for the Pups. so you do have flexibility within the time restraints. I also requested body wood of Ash and padauk fingerboard, revers head stock

The other guy did a straight 4 string jazz. in Alder with RW board

It is pretty full on. we both stayed in the same B&B within walking distance. so 9 - 5 each day and Jon orders sandwich deliveries of your choice lunchtime and you can eat and work through etc.

Mine turned out better than i could have wished very please with the neck which was a concern as I am fussy.

I walked out with a playable bass so good result, cost wise course was then about £750 so with B&B extra pups evening meals in pub and fuel was about £1200.

But it is the learning experience you are paying for.  worth doing Great guys up there.

IMG_14091.jpg

IMG_13281.jpg

IMG_13381.jpg

IMG_13691.jpg

IMG_13911.jpg

IMG_13121.jpg

IMG_2798.JPG

Really good feedback, thanks. That's the most unique P-Bass I've ever seen!

• Like 1

I originally made it as volume tone  - volume tone.  I have since changed this to volume Pan, Tone Tone. It is easier when playing live .

I also wish I had now gone with a Music-man control plate, for more flexibility to later tweeks, but wanted to keep that "double up" theme which the two Tele plates would portray.  Just added this as you do need to have a good practical firm idea of what you want.   sometimes being too different is not good and you realise the big boys have probably been there and now make basses to what works best.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, deepbass5 said:

I originally made it as volume tone  - volume tone.  I have since changed this to volume Pan, Tone Tone. It is easier when playing live .

I also wish I had now gone with a Music-man control plate, for more flexibility to later tweeks, but wanted to keep that "double up" theme which the two Tele plates would portray.  Just added this as you do need to have a good practical firm idea of what you want.   sometimes being too different is not good and you realise the big boys have probably been there and now make basses to what works best.

I've going for a fairly simple P-bass... can't see me going too off-piste from a typical design. Perhaps a high-mass bridge and Schaller straplock buttons, nothing too wild!