Why become a member? ×

New EBMM Stingray Special Colours and Prices

Eldon Tyrell

1 minute ago, Ian McFly said:

Yeah, and then you order, happy as Larry,  only to be asked to pay for 20% of the price upon reception....

...plus handling fees. The last two basses I ordered from Thomann had to go back due to issues, so that would be a bit of an issue with then having to reclaim VAT. Not cool. 

What’s low supply, the number of basses from EBBM (due to covid etc) or the materials used? 

Either way, all mass produced bass builders will have the same issue, so if we don’t see huge price increases across the board, I’d be quite interested to know what unique issue ebbm is facing that can justify this.  And, all the while, keeping US prices reasonable.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Kev said:

What’s low supply, the number of basses from EBBM (due to covid etc) or the materials used? 

Either way, all mass produced bass builders will have the same issue, so if we don’t see huge price increases across the board, I’d be quite interested to know what unique issue ebbm is facing that can justify this.  And, all the while, keeping US prices reasonable.

Two years ago members of TB were up in arms because of what they perceived massive price hikes for standard instruments in the US - issues caused by various factors but CA specific legislation requirements being one. EBMM was one of the first to mention the swamp ash shortage - long before Fender swapped their ash production over - presumably it takes longer to redirect the great oil tanker that is FMIC - maybe they keep a lot more stock as well.

I suspect the factory output is reduced owing to social distancing and incoming supplies may be affected/ interrupted - as have been many industries here (eg car manufacture - though some of that has been caused by the B word!!) 

Anyway some more real world (UK) EBMM prices:-

August 2014 Classic Sabre Neptune blue PDN (you're unlikely to see another!!) - £2233 new

Oct 2016 old smoothie 40th anniversary Stingray - £2100 new

June 2010 Classic Stingray (one of the first ordered in the uk - Feb 2010) - £1650 new

Edited by drTStingray

3 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Two years ago members of TB were up in arms because of what they perceived massive price hikes - issues caused by various factors but CA specific requirements being one. EBMM was one of the first to mention the swamp ash shortage - long before Fender swapped their ash production over - presumably it takes longer to redirect the great oil tanker that is FMIC - maybe they keep a lot more stock as well.

I suspect the factory output is reduced owing to social distancing and incoming supplies may be affected/ interrupted - as have been many industries here (eg car manufacture - though some of that has been caused by the B word!!) 

Anyway some more real world (UK) EBMM prices:-

August 2014 Classic Sabre Neptune blue PDN (you're unlikely to see another!!) - £2233 new

Oct 2016 old smoothie 40th anniversary Stingray - £2100 new

June 2010 Classic Stingray (one of the first ordered in the uk - Feb 2010) - £1650 new

Aren't the examples you provided of the special editions that would have cost a fair bit more than a bog standard Stingray at the time?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 40hz said:

Aren't the examples you provided of the special editions that would have cost a fair bit more than a bog standard Stingray at the time?

I’d say so yes.  Difficult to criticise the cost of special edition basses as they’re, well, special.  Limited and not made in large volume over and over again.  It’s the standard models that need to be scrutinised given how geared up they are to build them.

Not just EBBM, anyone.  Plenty of basses use identical materials to EBBM, so how many others will inflict huge increases on their basic stock?

I priced up a natural H with maple neck in 2003 - £1350. There was a mint inca silver/maple 77 pre EB in the shop (£1750 - and about £250 over a standard and distressed pre EB) - a one that got away........ I bought a new natural SR5. 

But yes there's a mark up of £200 or so, maybe a bit more on those 'special' basses - the Classic is standard of that type though the colour is rare - at the time (2014) I was after a Diego blue classic Sabre - that would have been not far under £2000 new - I'm glad I got the PDN - mahogany body, flamed maple (roasted) neck and sounds phenomenal!!! Everyone else ordered Bongos and Rays so mine is ultra rare as well. 

But the prices give a pointer. 

3 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

I priced up a natural H with maple neck in 2003 - £1350. There was a mint inca silver/maple 77 pre EB in the shop (£1750 - and about £250 over a standard and distressed pre EB) - a one that got away........ I bought a new natural SR5. 

But yes there's a mark up of £200 or so, maybe a bit more on those 'special' basses - the Classic is standard of that type though the colour is rare - at the time (2014) I was after a Diego blue classic Sabre - that would have been not far under £2000 new - I'm glad I got the PDN - mahogany body, flamed maple (roasted) neck and sounds phenomenal!!! Everyone else ordered Bongos and Rays so mine is ultra rare as well. 

But the prices give a pointer. 

When I started playing back in 2003, standard Stingrays were £899 at GAK for the standard and natural finish. It's laser printed on my mind because I remember trying and failing all summer to save for one!!

Diego Blue Sabre though! WOOF! always been on the lookout for that specific bass as IMO, it's the most beautiful looking bass EBMM have ever made!

18 minutes ago, 40hz said:

When I started playing back in 2003, standard Stingrays were £899 at GAK for the standard and natural finish. It's laser printed on my mind because I remember trying and failing all summer to save for one!!

Diego Blue Sabre though! WOOF! always been on the lookout for that specific bass as IMO, it's the most beautiful looking bass EBMM have ever made!

Were those Stingrays in gig bags though - I know S and T went through periods of not doing them in hard cases - my 2003 SR5 natural/maple was £1295 but with hard case.

Yes the Diego blue was available on the Classic basses for 12 months - it was the only colour sold out on Sabres in the UK in 2014 (I say sold out - I think there was one of each colour brought in and that one was sold) - I was mightily pi**ed off as no one would order one for me - as it was the Neptune blue (somewhat incredibly) came to me in the south of England via a dealer in Scotland - obviously special ordered on my behalf. But that Diego blue was a great colour - the new blue on the 2021 Stingray Special is quite similar - one of the ones I like!! (But not the price).  

Edited by drTStingray

18 minutes ago, 40hz said:

It’s funny, I have fancied getting a stingray since the early 80s but they have always been too expensive and I could never bring myself to spend that much. They are still too expensive 40 years later!

18 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

It’s funny, I have fancied getting a stingray since the early 80s but they have always been too expensive and I could never bring myself to spend that much. They are still too expensive 40 years later!

Yep. I've just had a look on Reverb for used Stingray and StingRay Specials;  the prices are pretty zany. Asking just around £200 less than what the bass would cost new even when the condition is decent is a new one for me. The cost of second-hand StingRays have followed the cost of the new Specials in going a bit crazy. I'm not pleased - not only are they discontinuing all the colours I liked in the range, but getting a used one in one of these colours costs ludicrous amounts of cash :facepalm:

Edited by EdLib-3

I wouldn’t worry too much. The 2020 Special I tried was definitely well made and finished but I just couldn’t get on the with the new electronics. Try as I might I couldn’t find the classic Stingray sound and (it was a 2 pickup model) all 5 pickup positions sounded odd - like excessive mid cut in the tone, but even boosting the mid to max failed to round out the tone. TBH I much preferred the sound from the Sterling 5 HH I owned before it (and older Stingrays I’ve tried), all of which sounded like a Stingray. The neck pickup is just too far from the bridge so very muddy and the in-between settings don’t seem to add variety from that basic odd tone. That and the lack of any decent colours and I can’t see me ever buying a new MM - unless they reissue the Big Al 5 SSS :)

Interesting - I guess we all hear and perceive things differently - I've had the opposite experience - my 4HH gets a very passable recorded Bernard Edwards sound live with the EQ around centre detent, two pick ups in humbucker mode. I did a dep gig outdoors with a lot of R and B influenced rock and also classic soul - really sounded great (and totally not that early 60s wishy washy sound although that is available). Mightily impressive and I'm very glad I have both 4 and 5 HH Specials available to use. 

Edited by drTStingray

I don’t know if a guy called OllyW is here, but he posted on the Ernie Ball forum about the price increase and got roasted by the admin with stupid arguments. 
Yeah, there’s fees, import and shipping cost, blah blah blah... but it has always been the case and I genuinely don’t see what suddenly happened to create more cost for these instruments. No, they’re simply increasing their margin here in the UK, using the increase in the US as an excuse to do the same, just in a silly and ludicrous fashion...

We’re not stupid, we’ve all seen what they did there, and surely, any smart bassist won’t spend 3 grand on an industrial bass like the Stingray. 
For 3 grand, I’m going custom, dude.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ian McFly said:

I don’t know if a guy called OllyW is here, but he posted on the Ernie Ball forum about the price increase and got roasted by the admin with stupid arguments. 

He's not the only one to have had this experience.  It's fanboys only,  if you're not with 'em,  you're agin 'em. 

• Like 1

On 22/01/2021 at 06:07, drTStingray said:

I'm glad I got the PDN - mahogany body, flamed maple (roasted) neck and sounds phenomenal!!! 

That sounds like a very interesting combination.  I like mahogany in almost anything. With the right kind of maple - not too rigid,  it's really nice. 

1 hour ago, Kiwi said:

He's not the only one to have had this experience.  It's fanboys only,  if you're not with 'em,  you're agin 'em. 

Visiting that forum was the most wierd internet experince since I tried to understand the world of hifi - it’s kinda like a religious cult

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Visiting that forum was the most wierd internet experince since I tried to understand the world of hifi - it’s kinda like a religious cult

I second this. It's truly embarassing.

On 22/01/2021 at 18:58, drTStingray said:

Interesting - I guess we all hear and perceive things differently - I've had the opposite experience - my 4HH gets a very passable recorded Bernard Edwards sound live with the EQ around centre detent, two pick ups in humbucker mode. I did a dep gig outdoors with a lot of R and B influenced rock and also classic soul - really sounded great (and totally not that early 60s wishy washy sound although that is available). Mightily impressive and I'm very glad I have both 4 and 5 HH Specials available to use. 

Yes, it may have been that it had a maple board, or perhaps that I prefer the harder edged sound of the ceramic pickups in the Sterling. It just felt like the sound “disappeared” when playing along with a track /recording.  Odd and not due to strings as I use Super Slinkies all the time.

In other news, I had thought the Sterling was being discontinued but the Sterling pages now say new colours coming soon. I wonder if it’ll be a Sterling special with the SR upgrades? The Sterling could do with the lighter tuners. That would be exciting if so. Current ones for sale new are around £2000-£2200 (they’ve come down approx £200 as they were around £2400 in Thomann mid last year) but I’d be struggling if the new colours are to my taste but they’re over £3K!

Anyone seen this? Effect on instrument prices?

Shipping crisis: I'm being quoted £10,000 for a £1,600 container' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55740063

I was also quoted 30 wks delivery (not guaranteed) on a new German car yesterday - as opposed to 12 wks last year - apparently there is a worldwide shortage of semi conductors which is contributing to interruption of supply....  😧

Edited by drTStingray

• Eldon Tyrell changed the title to New EBMM Stingray Special Colours and Prices