Why become a member? ×

New EBMM Stingray Special Colours and Prices

Eldon Tyrell

46 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

That’s all well and good but not really sure how any of it has got anything to do with the prices shooting up (and far more so in the UK than in the US) for essentially the same product. Would you pay £1000 more than two months ago for the same instrument in a different (but not necessarily better) paint job?

They're not though are they - you're using clearance sale prices as a comparison which is clearly wrong. Compare the  2021 price with the 2020 retail price - that would be a reasonable comparison - it'll obviously still be a fair jump but not as much as on the distorted basis you've quoted. 

Those Andertons clearance prices are less than the price some of us paid for the same basses in 2018!! 

The point about sizes of the relative companies is important. The bigger companies can probably weather some of the more global issues affecting these things for a time better than a smaller company - just look at coffee shops or cafes on High Streets - clearly the like of Starbucks, Costa and McDonald's can survive for a time better than smaller operations. 

Each company has to set its business model accordingly and change and adapt. 

Edited by drTStingray

Just now, drTStingray said:

They're not though are they - you're using clearance sale prices as a comparison which is clearly wrong. Compare the new new price with the 2019 retail price - it'll still be a fair jump but not on the distorted basis you've quoted. 

Those Andertons clearance prices are less than the price some of us paid for the same basses in 2018!! 

Yes I am. Some of the HH 5s are going for £3200 and they have been £2200 for a long time. There is no “retail” price. This is how much the new ones are now and the previous ones were even this time last year (I have been looking at the Stingray Special for a while). The Bongos are a similar price (e.g. 6HH is now £3549 and when I enquired about one about 18 months ago and it was approx £2500. 

• Like 1

My SR5sHH was listed as £2450 in April 2018 (when I ordered it). So that's £750 up in just under 3 yrs. There'll be a mark up if the new one is a burst/sparkle and a further one for a matching headstock. 

You may be better trying to find a used one - @Old Horse Murphy has an SR5s for sale on this site.  

I too am astonished at the Bongo prices which have been quoted but suggest that people will be hard pressed to find them in stock for sale!! 

Edited by drTStingray

14 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

they can't make more instruments of a decent quality in the USA than current restricted level,

Yes they can and what restrictions are you talking about?  Their basses are not complicated things, they were designed with mass production in mind, just like Fenders. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Yes they can and what restrictions are you talking about?  Their basses are not complicated things, they were designed with mass production in mind, just like Fenders. 

Covid 19 is placing restrictions on EBMM's factory staff levels, and those of their suppliers too, hence the current lower output.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kiwi said:

That is a point actually. Even though the quality control and workmanship are excellent it’s easy to forget that they are basic bolt on neck basses with 2 humbuckers and a preamp - it’s not a Ritter, so in theory, aside from wood drying and ageing (and you’d expect/hope that any decent manufacturer has either a good store or access to a store of wood), the actual amount of time labour in order to produce such an instrument isn’t that much. Given the COVID restrictions, problems in international shipping and any changes as a result of Br***t (although in theory there shouldn’t be any as they’re coming from the US, not the EU), this may explain both the reduced output and the additional costs. Still doesn’t mean I’m going to pay £3K for one ;)

42 minutes ago, pineweasel said:

Covid 19 is placing restrictions on EBMM's factory staff levels, and those of their suppliers too, hence the current lower output.

Other US manufacturers aren't doing it though.  And they'd be foolish to as it would undermine the broader appeal of their products, as you can plainly see from this thread.  The only exception I can think of is if the fanboy market is big enough that they can support the factory based on their purchasing power alone.  This seems a little far fetched but, given how culty it is on the EB forum I wouldn't dismiss it completely...I suppose.

• Like 1

Problem is, there's a strong psychological impact when it comes to prices. When they teased the new colours, I was SO keen to get myself a StingRay Special 4HH, spent hours on the SS topic on Talkbass to gather as much info as possible... got excited by that new Frost Green colour.... got myself in a mindset of "£2200 is expensive, but I guess I could afford that by the end of the year"... and THEN, saw the new prices. That very bass is £2899.

That's £700 more than what I was expecting/ready to pay. I'm sorry, but I won't fork out almost 3K on a standard, factory made bass. Not when you have no say in any of the options. £2200 was steep enough, but 3K, no way. 

So yeah, as I said before, they lost my interest, and whilst I'm not the centre of the universe, I assume a lot of us have given up on the idea of getting a Stingray or Bongo this year. 

I'd be genuinely curious to see EBMM's sales volume by the end of this year, for the UK. I really, really doubt they'll sell loads of instruments. Heck, there will be very limited availability anyway. You'd be lucky if the model you want is even in stock before Christmas 2021!

So yeah, for less than what I was planning to spend, I'll get a custom made Valenti bass. Jazz style, so more my thing in the end (not even sure I'd have bonded with a Stingray Special after all), and I will choose MY specs. And yeah, there are cheaper options in the UK (is there though?) as mentioned before in this thread, but I'm not interested. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

Problem is, there's a strong psychological impact when it comes to prices. When they teased the new colours, I was SO keen to get myself a StingRay Special 4HH, spent hours on the SS topic on Talkbass to gather as much info as possible... got excited by that new Frost Green colour.... got myself in a mindset of "£2200 is expensive, but I guess I could afford that by the end of the year"... and THEN, saw the new prices. That very bass is £2899.

That's £700 more than what I was expecting/ready to pay. I'm sorry, but I won't fork out almost 3K on a standard, factory made bass. Not when you have no say in any of the options. £2200 was steep enough, but 3K, no way. 

So yeah, as I said before, they lost my interest, and whilst I'm not the centre of the universe, I assume a lot of us have given up on the idea of getting a Stingray or Bongo this year. 

I'd be genuinely curious to see EBMM's sales volume by the end of this year, for the UK. I really, really doubt they'll sell loads of instruments. Heck, there will be very limited availability anyway. You'd be lucky if the model you want is even in stock before Christmas 2021!

So yeah, for less than what I was planning to spend, I'll get a custom made Valenti bass. Jazz style, so more my thing in the end (not even sure I'd have bonded with a Stingray Special after all), and I will choose MY specs. And yeah, there are cheaper options in the UK (is there though?) as mentioned before in this thread, but I'm not interested. 

That's a smart move. I'm all for supporting small builders over these over inflated factory efforts every single time.
Nino will make you much better bass than EBMM ever would, with a world more options to your spec, for less money, and you'll be keeping a luthier in work rather than helping Sterling Ball expand his classic car collection.
I honestly think anything over £1500 for anything made on a production line is gross, even that is pushing it, especially when there's so many builders out there doing so much more for similar prices.

Eude

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

If I was after another Jazz type bass, I wouldn't be looking across the Atlantic for it that's for sure. It depends what you're after, but there are options here. Classic & Cool Guitars can build you a J (I had this Precision built by them recently) or if you need something a little more shiny, maybe contact Shuker or build it yourself. I built the Jazz in my sig from bits and pieces and its every bit as good as the Fender CS it was based on. I haven't played much else since.

9 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

I've been through all the UK builders and none offer what I want to the letter. Valenti does.
I am not going into full details, but it'll be a modern Jazz. Nothing classic like Limelight's work. And I don't like Shuker's stuff :)

What about Zoot stuff? 

https://www.facebook.com/zootbass/

• Like 1

Mehhh

Not going full custom with a builder with zero reputation and ugly designs :)

Why is everyone trying to change my mind? Valenti's bass are incredible value for money (less so here in the UK but still great instruments), Nino's communication has been top notch so far, and I want to support small builders... as long as they can offer what I request, and Nino does.

Edited by Ian McFly
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

I've been through all the UK builders and none offer what I want to the letter. Valenti does.
I am not going into full details, but it'll be a modern Jazz. Nothing classic like Limelight's work. And I don't like Shuker's stuff :)

Dangling a carrot here!  Can't imagine what Valenti may be able to do that no luthier in the UK can, not much experience with Valenti but they strike me as rather vanilla, so you've definitely made me curious about what they are doing for you!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

Mehhh

Why is everyone trying to change my mind? Valenti's bass are incredible value for money (less so here in the UK but still great instruments), Nino's communication has been top notch so far, and I want to support small builders... as long as they can offer what I request, and Nino does.

A bit of a rude response, it was simply a suggestion of a UK builder that offers modern jazz style designd

• Like 5

6 hours ago, pineweasel said:

Thank goodness someone talks some sense on this forum - there is so much disinformation and frankly bull*hit in this thread that it's knee deep.

For instance what sort of idiot thinks EBMM just bolt machine made bodies and necks together with no human or even craftsman input? A tiny bit of research on the internet would show you how wrong that is.

It greatly pisses me off that this forum seems to totally get off on dissing manufacturers like EBMM and Rickenbacker in a big way - what's the more irritating is a great quantity of the input is verging on disinformation.

Why haven't the perpetrators of this thread not fu**ed off days ago and bought something that takes their fancy for a price that suits their pocket?

It seems the forum is partially stocked with serial moaners and negative people. Yes you do heartily pi*s me off folks - as you probably know I really like these basses and actually sympathise with the price issue - but it doesn't deserve some of the frankly idiotic posts above. Do the moderators not worry about serial disinformation and moaning? It seems not as they permitted a for sale thread entitled toilet seat bass - whoa surely not - Musicman dissing again 🙄🤔  Surprised if the advertising standards authority would respond positively to complaints they might receive about that..... 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 2

I guess I'm one of the misinformed here and I'll take that on the chin, however I would argue there's quite a bit more craftsmanship in a handmade instrument than something created in a factory. Of course there will be skilled labour involved, and it was unfair of me to lean so heavily on the production line aspect of EBMM's processes but all of that aside, the prices in my opinion are still way off.

You're right though, if you don't like it, you don't need to buy one, which is why @Ian McFly is getting a Valenti.

Eude

43 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Thank goodness someone talks some sense on this forum - there is so much disinformation and frankly bull*hit in this thread that it's knee deep.

For instance what sort of idiot thinks EBMM just bolt machine made bodies and necks together with no human or even craftsman input? A tiny bit of research on the internet would show you how wrong that is.

It greatly pisses me off that this forum seems to totally get off on dissing manufacturers like EBMM and Rickenbacker in a big way - what's the more irritating is a great quantity of the input is verging on disinformation.

Why haven't the perpetrators of this thread not fu**ed off days ago and bought something that takes their fancy for a price that suits their pocket?

It seems the forum is partially stocked with serial moaners and negative people. Yes you do heartily pi*s me off folks - as you probably know I really like these basses and actually sympathise with the price issue - but it doesn't deserve some of the frankly idiotic posts above. Do the moderators not worry about serial disinformation and moaning? It seems not as they permitted a for sale thread entitled toilet seat bass - whoa surely not - Musicman dissing again 🙄🤔  Surprised if the advertising standards authority would respond positively to complaints they might receive about that..... 

I don't think that's very fair. I think most brands get a kicking at times on this forum. I love Warwicks - they get slated fairly often (often with merit), Fender get slagged off as much they're praised, my own dear Modulus and graphite basses get slagged off. But tbh, it doesn't upset me personally, because that is somebody else's takeaway from their experience and equally as valid as my adoration (within reason).

I really wouldn't take it so personally. You can love a brand and still see it's faults. And as far as I can see, people are mostly taking umbrage (and quite rightly) with the utterly farcical pricing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ian McFly said:

Mehhh

Each to their own, but I don’t see the attraction. Incredible value? Just browsing the web site I see a fairly ordinary Fender-a-like 4 string for $3250 featuring Hipshot/Nordstrand - and that’s their 2020 pricing! Would be interested to know what that works out to once it’s been imported. There’s a few other basses I would rather spend my money on and I would be more impressed if you wanted to support small builders in the UK rather than the USA. But hey, it’s your money.

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

I haven't a clue why you are talking criticism of Ernie Ball so personally.  You will have noticed both Admin and Moderator members comment in here, so rest assured if anyone takes anything too far, we'll act.  In the meantime, perhaps step away from the thread if you don't like where the conversation is headed, but at the very least refrain from any attack on other members because their opinions on a bass builder you like differ with yours.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

Isn’t Valenti the brand with the conspiracy claptrap on the back of the headstock? D’you think it’s extra not to have that?

There was one for sale here recently with that on. It was a Sadowsky wasn’t it? Valenti used to work for Roger, so could be right.

Reason enough for me not to buy.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker