Why become a member? ×

New EBMM Stingray Special Colours and Prices

Eldon Tyrell

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Again, as has been alluded to, if they want to charge that much, they just need to make the Specials “Custom Shop” only.  Not necessarily masterbuilt or equivalent, but certainly open to a wide range of possible specs and modifications based on what the customer/dealer orders, ala Warwick, Dingwall etc.  Otherwise, yeah, it’s a £3k production bass, and I remember how much mockery Rickenbacker used to get for its prices.

That pretty much sums it up for me 👏👍.

1 hour ago, Wolverinebass said:

A very reasonable theory. However, it does have one tiny flaw. After Covid is over and Brexit calms down, do you think the prices will come down?!! They won't. 

You beat me to it. Surely in a year or two, I can’t imagine them bringing the prices down. Unless they realise that they REALLY struggled to sell anything at that price point, and decide to lower prices a bit, but would that be fair for people who paid full price?

2 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

You beat me to it. Surely in a year or two, I can’t imagine them bringing the prices down. Unless they realise that they REALLY struggled to sell anything at that price point, and decide to lower prices a bit, but would that be fair for people who paid full price?

Yes, they may have to "reconsider" their pricing strategy in a year or two. I don't see a fairness issue though. No one is forced to pay the new price. There are plenty of alternatives. As mentioned, I doubt anyone, apart from the fan brigade, will pay these crazy prices anyway. BTW, I just got myself a used G&L L2K instead of the Special. As it is used, I still have some money left to get myself a used P bass (my "Motown", old school bass) too. Happy days 😁

• Like 2

Let’s hope the restrictions are temporary and once things pick up they offer a full custom service in terms of woods, finish, electronics etc. That would at least offer some differentiation from the cheaper Sterling line and go some way towards justifying the custom shop pricing. I’m not going to hold my breath on that, however...

1 hour ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Yes, they may have to "reconsider" their pricing strategy in a year or two. I don't see a fairness issue though. No one is forced to pay the new price. There are plenty of alternatives. As mentioned, I doubt anyone, apart from the fan brigade, will pay these crazy prices anyway. BTW, I just got myself a used G&L L2K instead of the Special. As it is used, I still have some money left to get myself a used P bass (my "Motown", old school bass) too. Happy days 😁

They don't seem to have a history of that. Look at their Caprice and new Cutlass models, for example. They looked very attractive, a Precision style bass with the MusicMan build quality? I could be persuaded... erm, how much? rather than adjusting  their prices they concluded there was not enough interest and discontinued it, preferring instead to bring yet more colours, with glitter! yay!, of their usual models. 

I suspect, if anything, they'd restrict their options even more by offering just a handful of colours/combinations.

A used SR5 looks like a very good alternative to buying new now, and if I want a specific colour I can get it refinished and still have a LOT of cash in my pocket. 

• Like 5

This topic has really made me think . . . with the ever increasing prices for USA made, original instruments, that has really started to accelerate wildly in the past few years with no signs of slowing down. . . . . Will there come a point where the import models become THE actual model due to the real thing being way out of reach for 99% of people? 

e.g - will there be a point where the Sterling by Musicman models actually become the full fat Stingrays, with the name change on the headstock?

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 40hz said:

This topic has really made me think . . . with the ever increasing prices for USA made, original instruments, that has really started to accelerate wildly in the past few years with no signs of slowing down. . . . . Will there come a point where the import models become THE actual model due to the real thing being way out of reach for 99% of people? 

e.g - will there be a point where the Sterling by Musicman models actually become the full fat Stingrays, with the name change on the headstock?

Yeah, looks like that's the road we are on 😞

7 minutes ago, mcnach said:

They don't seem to have a history of that. Look at their Caprice and new Cutlass models, for example. They looked very attractive, a Precision style bass with the MusicMan build quality? I could be persuaded... erm, how much? rather than adjusting  their prices they concluded there was not enough interest and discontinued it, preferring instead to bring yet more colours, with glitter! yay!, of their usual models. 

I suspect, if anything, they'd restrict their options even more by offering just a handful of colours/combinations.

A used SR5 looks like a very good alternative to buying new now, and if I want a specific colour I can get it refinished and still have a LOT of cash in my pocket. 

Yes, their recent history does not give us much hope. However, they may be forced to reconsider their strategy though. Let's see and hope for the best.

I also agree that the Cutlass bass was amazing (the Caprice probably too but I have never tired one). I own one and it is really great (disclaimer: I bought mine used last year from a cool dude in Italy). However, as you said, I think they got the pricing wrong. They already started with a (too) high price and then, out of nowhere, increased it overnight even more, which killed off the model in 2018 after just tow years. Real shame. With the right price, it could still be around. EBMM is known for its active basses (esp. the Stingray), so launching a passive model was always an uphill battle in the first place. With the right price, lower than e.g. US Fender Standard/Pro Ps and the US G&L LB-100, they could have had a chance. People could have tried them out and then realised how good they really are. I am sure the high price put people off (why pay so much for a passive MM bass?) and then the sudden increase finished them off for good. 

12 minutes ago, 40hz said:

Exactly.  I suggested the same thing a few pages back.  Fender,  Warwick,  Spector and others have a track record of putting the traditional workhorse models out of reach and then upselling the budget models so they become the new workhorse range. 

• Like 1

Well it's a good point... Look at the prices of these indonesian made Sterling basses:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/stirling-by-music-man-sray-5-bass-hh-spalted-maple-top-natural-burst-satin-maple-neck

https://www.andertons.co.uk/sterling-stingray-4-poplar-burl-top-neptune-blue-satin-rn

Speaking of which, why that stubbornness in doing Stingray shaped basses with those funky wooden tops? It doesn't suit the model IMO. A Stingray body calls for a plain colour, or maybe a transparent finish on ash at best (again IMO).

Same stubbornness in releasing the weirdest colours for their american models.... like a glittery pink with gold hardware... WHY? Who would seriously consider that colourway??? 

25 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

Same stubbornness in releasing the weirdest colours for their american models.... like a glittery pink with gold hardware... WHY? Who would seriously consider that colourway??? 

Full disclosure, I actually did consider buying the pink sparkle HH when it first arrived at Bass Direct. It would have suited my 80’s band perfectly, but I wasn’t prepared to drop £2,799 (I think) at the time. I saved the picture to my photos.

9668EE04-7510-497F-914E-3C39EA59F8F3.jpeg

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

Well you sir have the weirdest taste in basses then :D

Sorry Mr McFly. I actually really love that finish 🙈🙈.

Then again I would. This is my number one. . . .  Brighter and bolder the better!! 😂

IMG_20210203_155022163.jpg

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Ian McFly said:

Well it's a good point... Look at the prices of these indonesian made Sterling basses:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/stirling-by-music-man-sray-5-bass-hh-spalted-maple-top-natural-burst-satin-maple-neck

https://www.andertons.co.uk/sterling-stingray-4-poplar-burl-top-neptune-blue-satin-rn

Speaking of which, why that stubbornness in doing Stingray shaped basses with those funky wooden tops? It doesn't suit the model IMO. A Stingray body calls for a plain colour, or maybe a transparent finish on ash at best (again IMO).

I love the Ray 34PB in flat black. In fact if I do buy a Ray, I’m pretty sure that’s the one I’ll buy. I also love the sparkle finishes, but I’d never pay anything like the new prices for one. 

14 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Well, we are getting off topic now but so what. It is my thread and I am your host, so I can do whatever I want 😉

One of the best finishes ever is clearly this one 🤩

1860153401_USASeries-BelieveinMusicCollection_Red.thumb.jpg.114d1125009eac704ced5b79108e6eb0.jpg

How does that compare on the price scale?

4 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Full disclosure, I actually did consider buying the pink sparkle HH when it first arrived at Bass Direct. It would have suited my 80’s band perfectly, but I wasn’t prepared to drop £2,799 (I think) at the time. I saved the picture to my photos.

9668EE04-7510-497F-914E-3C39EA59F8F3.jpeg

Me too - I also looked a couple of days ago and it has been sold. Andertons still have one but they've always been asking £200-300 more for their's. The sparkle basses seem to have been quite popular judging by the number of them people on forums and elsewhere seem to have. 

I too like these sparkle colours - already having several basses in natural, sunburst or white (we can't all be the same but I'd never ever consider buying a black bass in a million years - well maybe a pre EB Ray), these are colours my ex wife considers are 'boring' - it has been somewhat spoiling us for Musicman to have offered their Stingray Specials in such a range of colours including sparkles and bright yellow etc etc. People have consistently requested this sort of thing since a group of sparkle colours were produced in the early 2000s (and dropped quite quickly).

Anyway, regarding prices, back when I was but a youth (before a number of you were born i would guess) a brand new US Precision in natural (the ONLY valid colour for one in the early 70s) would have set me back £252 - whilst my annual salary was £936 (0.27 of it). If I was a youth now on minimum wage that would equate to £3.5-4.5k dependent on your age and thus minimum wage (40 hrs per week). No wonder the only people playing real Fenders (and Gibsons, and occasionally Rickenbackers) back then were either famous pros or people with very deep pockets - mere mortals played copies of the real thing - in my case an Antoria. 

So I do wonder whether we are all moaning a little too much here..... or at the very least, unrealistic expectations and in reality higher end US made basses are just moving back to being the luxury items they always were 😀

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

Ernie Ball are a really small company in the scheme of things, 2018 Revenue $25.5million, and that includes the strings

By comparison D'Addario revenue 2020 $167million

Taylor revenue 2019 $180million 

Fender revenue 2020 £480million

Yamaha Corporation revenue 202 $3.75billion

Musicman have always managed the brand so as to have a perceived value somewhat out of proportion with the number of instruments they make, whilst the licensed brands OLP, SUB and now the far East Sterling range have helped many players to have the look without the cost, they can't make more instruments of a decent quality in the USA than current restricted level, and if they have to move the far east made stuff up in price to fill the void and balance the books they will, especially now they can see that other brands have done that ( with Korean, Indonesian or Chinese made) and made it work that is very likely the future; as long as they can pay the lawyers to stop anyone making real copies they are quids (or should that be dollars) in

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

So I do wonder whether we are all moaning a little too much here..... and in reality higher end basses are just moving back to being the luxury items they always were 😀

and that's why I think it is more than appropriate to moan. Hate going backwards 😡

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

Ernie Ball are a really small company in the scheme of things, 2018 Revenue $25.5million, and that includes the strings

By comparison D'Addario revenue 2020 $167million

Taylor revenue 2019 $180million 

Fender revenue 2020 £480million

Yamaha Corporation revenue 202 $3.75billion

Musicman have always managed the brand so as to have a perceived value somewhat out of proportion with the number of instruments they make, whilst the licensed brands OLP, SUB and now the far East Sterling range have helped many players to have the look without the cost, they can't make more instruments of a decent quality in the USA than current restricted level, and if they have to move the far east made stuff up in price to fill the void and balance the books they will, especially now they can see that other brands have done that ( with Korean, Indonesian or Chinese made) and made it work that is very likely the future; as long as they can pay the lawyers to stop anyone making real copies they are quids (or should that be dollars) in

That’s all well and good but not really sure how any of it has got anything to do with the prices shooting up (and far more so in the UK than in the US) for essentially the same product. Would you pay £1000 more than two months ago for the same instrument in a different (but not necessarily better) paint job?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1