Why become a member? ×

New EBMM Stingray Special Colours and Prices

Eldon Tyrell

Just now, TheGreek said:

Aren't these price rises going to impact on the price of used Rays?

If nobody wants to pay £2-3k for a new one, but people still want to own a Ray, aren't the price of used ones going to go up?

Forget about Stocks & Shares - invest in used Stingrays.

Shurrup. They’ll hear you... but I Want a 93/4 for £800

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Aren't these price rises going to impact on the price of used Rays?

If nobody wants to pay £2-3k for a new one, but people still want to own a Ray, aren't the price of used ones going to go up?

Forget about Stocks & Shares - invest in used Stingrays.

Makes a lot of sense. I guess I better get a used one for a decent price before sellers figure out what's going on with the new and crazy prices 🙂

Yup, 2nd hand market will move with it for sure.  If people keep buying them, which they will, they'll keep going up....

It really doesn't seem that long ago you could pick up an old US 2 band Stingray new for £900.  I'm only 32 so its not like I'm thinking of the good old days exactly...

• Like 2

Just now, Kev said:

Yup, 2nd hand market will move with it for sure.  If people keep buying them, which they will, they'll keep going up....

It really doesn't seem that long ago you could pick up an old US 2 band Stingray new for £900.  I'm only 32 so its not like I'm thinking of the good old days exactly...

I couldn’t fetch £750 for my 2eq, and it was bloody pristine.

Ah well.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Yeah, stupid idea. Piezo sounded crap.

The one in my fretted Bongo 5HH sounds great - anyway your £1500 must have been early 2000s? 

I also think these new prices are bonkers but think it's likely it's caused by leaving the EU and any trade deal there was with the US. 

The champagne sparkle Stingray on Andertons is a BFR model which attracts a mark up - from last year - but is around the same price as one of the new sparkle models (the colour will also attract a mark up from base price) - my guess is there is around 20% or more added. 

Is this just the start of another all round hike in instrument prices from the US following Brexit actually happening? 

Thanks Nige 😏

4 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

The one in my fretted Bongo 5HH sounds great - anyway your £1500 must have been early 2000s? 

I also think these new prices are bonkers but think it's likely it's caused by leaving the EU and any trade deal there was with the US. 

The champagne sparkle Stingray on Andertons is a BFR model which attracts a mark up - from last year - but is around the same price as one of the new sparkle models (the colour will also attract a mark up from base price) - my guess is there is around 20% or more added. 

Is this just the start of another all round hike in instrument prices from the US following Brexit actually happening? 

Thanks Nige 😏

Not sure... PRS SEs and Fenders on the guitar side haven't increased as much for 2021...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

God knows what the Classics will be when they bring them back... 

Although, the Classic probably won't come back as I posted yesterday:

"I did some googling and found this in the EB forum. Dargin from EB customer service wrote back in September:

"I don't think we'll make an Old Smoothie or Classic how we used to again. We'll have a limited version of a Classic drop soon and then hopefully we can improve those concepts in 2022."

Sounds to me like an even more expensive "new and improved" Classic/Old Smoothie getting released in 2022. Then we will look back at this thread and say: "we really should have bought the new Stingrays when they were still affordable" 😉

4 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

Not sure... PRS SEs and Fenders on the guitar side haven't increased as much for 2021...

Good point. Even the brand new 75th Anniversary US Fender P is only £150 more than the current Fender Pro II (£1849 vs. £1699, Andertons). So, not sure why EBMM thinks that charging £750-£1000 more is such a good idea.  

Just playing devil's advocate here . . .

I often think, will there come a point in the not too distant future, where sales of brand new Stingrays just absolutely bottom out due to the year on year increases (for varying reasons of course) to the point where they are flat out un-affordable to most people? What will Ernie Ball do this scenario?

In fairness to Ernie Ball, it's not just them. Many, many manufacturers (Warwick basses another culprit of insane pricing) are hiking prices at an alarming rate over the last few years (massively out of sync with inflation) Where does it stop?

Will the UK just not be a concern of manufacturers in the not too distant future?

Edited by 40hz

• Eldon Tyrell changed the title to New EBMM Stingray Special Colours and Prices