Why become a member? ×

New EBMM Stingray Special Colours and Prices

Eldon Tyrell

On 18/01/2021 at 13:53, Eldon Tyrell said:

Cool. We all have different tastes. What's your fav?

The blue I think. I like the purple, but not so much with the gold hardware. 
loving that snowy night, but not at that price!

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

So a Stingray Special 5 H in black with chrome hardware is £2,200, but the 2021 one with black hardware but otherwise looks identical is now £700 more? Personally I thought they were over-priced at around £2K. It seems like they’re going full bespoke pricing - which is odd given there are half the number of colours available, none of which really do it for me. Very strange...

• Like 1

That’s the thing about Music Man: they’re not bespoke in the slightest. Unless you’re an artist, you’re stuck with limited options: a whole bunch of funky colours that appeal a limited amount of players, and no choice for hardware/fretboard wood. 
I understand that it helps streamlining their building process, but since every EBMM instrument is made to order (either by a local reseller to have stock or for a customer order), I don’t see why we have to be so limited with options. 

Plus, again, colours are a matter of taste but man, enough of those sparkle colours.... Bring back some classics: a nice red, black, white, butterscotch, even that Teal .... and then, add a few more funky colours on top of that. 
Like, I love white basses.... and I can’t even get a White Stingray with Black hardware. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

That’s the thing about Music Man: they’re not bespoke in the slightest. Unless you’re an artist, you’re stuck with limited options: a whole bunch of funky colours that appeal a limited amount of players, and no choice for hardware/fretboard wood. 
I understand that it helps streamlining their building process, but since every EBMM instrument is made to order (either by a local reseller to have stock or for a customer order), I don’t see why we have to be so limited with options. 

Plus, again, colours are a matter of taste but man, enough of those sparkle colours.... Bring back some classics: a nice red, black, white, butterscotch, even that Teal .... and then, add a few more funky colours on top of that. 
Like, I love white basses.... and I can’t even get a White Stingray with Black hardware. 

Fully agree with you, Ian. Their basses are made to order anyway, so I never understood why they don't offer some simple options, e.g. black hardware instead of chrome, or an ebony fretboard instead of a maple one or a different pickguard. Nothing fancy (and not as extensive as e.g. G&L's option models: http://glguitars.com/guitar-options/ or Sandberg's http://configurator.sandberg-guitars.de/). I cannot see how that should mess up the building process much and they could even charge a small premium for that "service". 

• Like 1

IMHO if I was in the market for a new bass where I wanted a particular group of features either Maruszczyk or Sandberg are streets ahead of the older and more established manufacturers. The kind of paint that goes into a bass isn’t particularly hard to find or expensive and if being made to order it’s not like you’re being forced to buy 5000L in advance, so little cash flow impact. MM risk going from a common sight in most decent music shops/online retailers to ending up like Warwick - but at least they offer thousands of combinations for the high price.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, acidbass said:

These prices are absolutely insane.  The guts of £3k for a Stingray!  Granted, the Specials are probably the best Stingrays ever made, but my goodness.  How much more would get you a Fender CS, Sadowsky US etc?  Insane.

Could get an ash body Sandberg made with a good pickup in the right place for about £2K depending on finish.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ian McFly said:

Are we going to talk about the price increase? While it looks like they have increased roughly $100 in the USA, look at the prices on Andertons:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/music-man-stingray-black-roasted-maple-maple-black-pickguard-black-hardware

https://www.andertons.co.uk/music-man-stingray-5-special-snowy-night-roasted-maple-maple-matching-headstock-white-pg-chrome-hardware

When the models from last year were between £2000 (4 string) and £2200 (5 string).... Surely, Andertons got it wrong right? An increase of around £800??? WTF?

That is a ridiculous price increase.  However, I think brands like Ernie Ball, Rickenbacker etc are looking at brands like Dingwall and Strandberg and seeing them selling basses between £2k and £3k for instruments built in the Far East, and thinking that their US instrument could and should sell for a lot more...