Why become a member? ×

How do go about changing the colour/paintjob of a bass guitar.

TJ1

Lets say you get/want a bass whose colour you find.. er. somewhat irksome Like this for expampel.https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars/music-man-bongo-5-hh-in-fuschia-sparkle

How do go about respraying it to your desired colour, or do you take it to a special guitar paint shop.

NB: really I want my bass to feature a montage of photos of Sandra Bullock but I am not sure how doable this would be.

Yeah, there are DIY vids on YouTube for respraying guitars but it is very tricky and involves stripping back the finish and obtaining the requisite equipment. So a trained luthier is defo the best thing - as EBSFreak says, Sims are one of the best but they won’t come cheap.

One easier option is to find a body that is an oil finish - this could be removed with turps and sanding, and then re-stained and sealed with an oil or lacquer (I’ve done this with good results on my Warwick Thumb). Takes a bit of time and care but it is doable. 

Depends exactly what you want - to strip a bass is every easy heat gun, sand paper powered or otherwise and a bit of elbow grease and patience.

Depending on the wood you may need to grain fill which can be tinted or not and then it’s your choice, natural or colour.

Within colour there is of course block metallic, sparkle, swirl, burst all achievable some more difficult than others.

If you want a simple block colour finish of good quality, it is very easy to achieve yourself with a good quality nitro can - there is a lot you can do yourself, even the stripping to decrease cost if you don’t want to spray.

Whats the worse that can happen if you spray wrong? You sand it back and go again!